Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Severe Allergies And Congestion Post Shower/bath

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
I have not had any problem with my allergies since high school (i am now 25) and since I was allergic to mold/dust/mildew I chalked it up to all my time in portables i highschool. I spent most of my high school years on reactine or benadryl starting after morning announcements. I have been fine since then, but recently mooved up north and have bee having severe nasal/sinus allergy symptoms of congestion, runny nose, itchy nose, uncontrollable sneezing since moving up here after EVERY shower or bath. I thought it might be mildew, but even after cleaning the whole bathroom with mildew remover with bleach i still cant breath after a shower, this isnt something i can avoid and i hate living in the fuzz of anti-allergins! please help, what could be causing this and how can i better control it? no itching or other symptoms, and no problems in my hometown while showering. Im desperate!
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank jellybiehn for this post: kjkiloljoules 

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Do you get these symptoms only after shower or bath?
Are you experiencing itchy, skin rush?

Mold spores are allergens and they can trigger allergy and asthma symptoms and also cause cold like symptoms including runny nose, itchy water eyes, sneezing and wheezing. So what you may think is just a cold can actually be caused by mold.
The mold spores may be persistent and more than one treatments may be necessary. After a series of treatments the area will then smell fresher, and much of the mold will have been eliminated.
|

replied September 11th, 2008
help...same problem
I am having the EXACT same problem...except i recently moved from the north further south...i am allergic to cats, dogs, most animals, and dust...and now i am sneezing in the shower and after with a horrible runny nose, congestion...and itchy eyes...it's awful! How can i get rid of the mold??? help please!!! I thoroughly cleaned the whole tub, walls, etc - whole bathroom completely and it didn't help at all..what kind of cleaner gets rid of mold?
|

User Profile
replied September 25th, 2008
Supporter
Equal parts of bleach and water solution.
You might need to call the health department and have them inspect. Mold can be in the walls/floors/ceilings, where you can't see.
|

replied January 23rd, 2009
Chlorine Allergy?
This could be from an allergy to chlorine or other chemicals in your shower. Probably not a true allergy but an intolerance. There are shower heads you can buy that have filters on them. It's worth a shot.
|

replied August 5th, 2010
I sneeze about 40 times (violently) near the end of every show. It's been about 2 years. I do not have allergies and do not believe it's mold. This happens in brand new hotels and all over the world. I began to think it was a new sensitivity to flouride or chlorine in water -- but have recently heard that Chinese physicians feel that hot showers build up Yin energy and that sneezing is Yin also. If a person is very sensitive to Yin energy overloads, they sneeze until equalized. I'm going to try cool showers and see if it helps.
|

replied August 29th, 2011
itchy eyes
having a similar issue. have been looking it up. i recently tried an experiment of pouring bottled water into my eyes, outside the shower. Within the hour my eyes stopped itching as much. now, 24 hours later.. its mostly gone (just feel like they are "healing" itchy, not "scrap my eyeballs out of my eyes itchy"). I'm wondering if its the shower head. I'm thinking of taking it off and giving IT a complete cleaning. I haven't tried the water from the sink to see how it compares. Let me know if you DO find something that works. I'm sorry its been so long for you. have you figured anything out??
|