Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Postpartum and Postnatal Forum

Swelling And Water Retention After Pregnancy? (Page 1)

User Profile
How long did you ladies stay swollen after your pregnancy? Or if you even got swollen at all? I'm only swollen in the legs, and ankles, but it's still kinda bad. Doesn't hurt, but looks really gross. And i'm still retaining water. Is this normal? I know things won't just go back to normal right away, but i don't want to be this swollen forever. It goes down after i have my feet up like before, but comes back after i've been up and about during the day.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ScarlettB
|

replied December 13th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Oh man. I didn't have ANY swelling while I was preg. But once I spit Oni out, I swear I swoll up like NOBODIES business!!!

my legs/ankles/feet were HUUUUGE!!!!! It didn't hurt, but it was FREAKY!!

Drink LOTS of water. It's one of the BEST ways to reduce it!!! And keep your feet up. But that's easier SAID that done with a newborn and an older sibling!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It took me close to a month. I thought I was never going to lose all that water!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
i was lucky enough to get rid of my swelling once william popped out! the same goes for the baby weight
|

User Profile
Supporter
my feet and nakles were MASSIVE after I had Bella. It was insane and soo uncomfortable. It took about three weeks until they even started going down a little bit.
|

Especially eHealthy
i don't remember how long it lasted, but i do remember my fred flintstone ankles and feet!

drink tons and tons of water. it'll flush everything out.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I was puffy for a couple of weeks. It was gross
|

User Profile
Supporter
plus ease up on the salt intake
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
I looked like a tick when I had my kids. And then one night in the middle of the night I sweated it all out. My bed was wet and gross, then it was better. So yeah, feet up, water, no salt. It's a great reason to take it easy!
|

replied April 5th, 2009
swelling after having baby
Hi, I was unable to wear my wedding and engagement rings 5 weeks before birth of first baby because of minor swelling; no pre-eclampsia. But after birth my fingers never went down again. I breast fed for 16 months, and got pregnant again when my baby was 12 months old. Had gap of a few months off breast feeding before 2nd baby was born, but swelling in hands, feet and face got even worse after 2nd baby born. Was tested by doctor for hypothyroidism and kidney/liver function and everything is normal, and my 2nd baby is now 6 months old and still being breast fed.

Has anyone else had this problem???? Is it related to breast feeding? Will I ever get back to normal?
|

replied March 29th, 2011
Postpartum swelling
I feel your pain! My son is 22 mos and the swelling in my fingers, wrists and ankles has never gone down. I too was tested for Hypothyroidism and do have a very mild case of it, I am only on 37.5 mg of Synthroid and the swelling has still never subsided. Some days are worse than others, but I have never gone back down to normal and it is really frustrating. I nursed for 2 months and had to stop due to back and neck problems. Hope this helps somewhat and I hope your swelling does eventually go away permanently!
|

replied June 16th, 2009
water retention after pregnancy
I came to look at this site becasue I had questions about his also. To Mummymason- I also had lots of swelling and weird issues, but all of my tests came back normal! I developed carpal tunnel secondary to the swelling. It went down for a while after the birth of my daughter, but then it all came back with my first period! My hands and feet itched and burned and the carpal tunnel was back. Nothing I did really had much affect and now (6 months post) I am just now seeing a gradual decrease in the water retention and the neuropathies in my hands/feet (though its still there)! My doc wasn't much help. Has anyone else had this happen???
|

replied June 25th, 2009
My feet ankles legs and hands swelled up pretty good the last months of pregnancy and got a little worst after birth for around 2 to 3 weeks.They never fully went back down till 4 months postpartum including my wedding ring.I finally got it back on.I am breastfeeding exclusively. I been going to the gym the last month and have dropped a tad bit more weight.So I think it maybe the breastfeeding my body is still holding on to fluids, but maybe the exercise is speeding things along that would of took place when I stopped breastfeeding.
|

replied December 31st, 2009
I really didn't swell that much during pregnancy...Just slightly during the last month. Once I delivered, my body went back to normal but my face puffed up tremendously. This is so random. Is this because I'm breastfeeding???
|

replied January 14th, 2010
Water retention after pregnancy
My daughter is almost 17 months & I still can't wear my wedding ring. I pumped milk for her for 5 months, exercise daily & watch my diet. It was 4 months before my shoes weren't tight. I only gained 30 pounds while I was expecting. The health food store recommmended Dong Quai & B6. I guess the pre-natals don't have enough B6, so in addition to our hormones being out of whack, we're low on B6 (which is good for circulation). Who knows - we're all different!!
|

replied July 29th, 2010
Post partum swelling
I'm at 3 months post partum and I'm still swollen to the point where I can't wear my wedding rings or fit most of my shoes. I drink adequate amounts of water, on most days, I eat fairly healthy and definitely watch my salt content. I am nursing and pumping during the daytime since returning to work 3 weeks ago. The swelling was severe from 3-12 days post partum and eventually went down with the help of "water pills" prescribed by my Doctor. At my 6 week visit, he said it could take up to 3 months for the swelling to subside completely. Now I'm reading other's stories and realize it could be alot longer? I miss wearing my rings and would like to wear shoes other than thong sandals and flip flops! I'm particularly concerned when the seasons change and I wont be able to wear those open toe shoes!
|

replied August 26th, 2010
Post Partum fluid/water retention
I am 13 weeks postpartum and also breastfeed exclusively. I as prepare to retun to work in 4 weeks, I have begun pumpint to build my supply. Like others, I cannot wear my pre-pregger shoes, clothes, jewelry. In fact i tried to wear a necklace i have and nearly choked trying to hook it in the back...lol

My body (not my stomach) is bigger/puffier that it was when I was pregnant. Pants that I wore while 9 months pregnant, I cannot wear 3 mos after giving birth.

The other comments are making me think there may be a connection between breastfeeding and fluid/water retention.
|

replied September 29th, 2014
So pleased I am not the only one. I was beginning to worry that something was wrong with me. Some long boots that I was able to wear a week after baby 2, I can now no longer do up 6 months later! It's ridiculous. I managed to keep my rings all through pregnancy and now, can't get them off! This never happened with my first baby and I had no idea it was possible now. I know I'm not drinking enough water but I guess that's one of the differences between a first baby and a second: with the first, i had a little time to take care of myself, but now, spare seconds are non-existent! Lol.
|

replied December 31st, 2010
swelling @ 13 weeks post partum
nurturingneysha:

I am one of the many that had a fine pregnancy, and after I gave birth with IV's attached (I hear it's the IV's that make people swell more than usual), I swelled awfully! It went totally away after 7 - 8 days, and then gradually came back (though not too bad).

I'm wondering if there is a connection with breastfeeding too. I'm currently 13 weeks post partum. Are you any better now that it's December?

Thanks Smile
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2011
Swelling in my ankles and feet 6 weeks post
I am 6 weeks post and during my last trimester my feet, ankles, and hands swelled up. I thought after I gave birth they would go down. My hands took about a week to get back to normal where I could fit my wedding ring. My ankles and feet started to show signs of improving and I was having night sweats but then it all stopped. My feet and ankles remain swollen. Now at 6 weeks post it seems as though I am retaining more fluids again because my feet and ankles have become more swollen and painful.I cant even bend my ankles. They are as big as they were when I was pregnant. My doctor prescribed me some water pills but they dont seem to be working at all. I can not fit into my shoes and I worry because I am going back to work next week. I drink lots of water, I try to stay active, I elavate my legs at night too. I am not breast feeding but have had issues with getting rid of my breast milk. I am so bummed out on the swelling and at this point I dont know what to do. I see my doc again on Wed so I am hoping he can shed some light.
|

replied February 1st, 2011
Post Partum Water Retention
This is all so weird to me. I just gave birth to my sixth. I had a natural birth but had an IV the whole time for Group B Strep. Now, a week postpartum, I am so swollen. I went to the doctor a few days ago because I woke up with an enormous face and could hardly talk. My hands and feet were also swollen. My blood pressure was fine at the doctor's and the swelling in my face went down some but to this day, my hands, feet and ankles remain swollen. I had hardly any swelling during my pregnancy and now I'm suffering postpartum which makes no sense to me. I always sweat at night after my other babies and lost all of that fluid but I haven't started sweating yet this time. I'm retaining fluid and don't know why other than the fact that I'm breastfeeding. It never occurred to me that breastfeeding would cause water retention. Maybe it was the IV, maybe the breastfeeding, I don't know. I will try to see my doc next week and I'll give an update. Who knows...it could all be hormone related. Hang it there ladies and try to enjoy your new loves.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Stiff fingers and sore feet
Tcrumb and Sissysi26,

I am in the same situation, swollen stiff hands and sore feet and ankles. They are worse at night and I cannot close my hands when I wake up. I am 8 weeks postpartum today and it is not going away. My doctor just brushed it off as carpal tunnel but I don't have the textbook symptoms for that such as numbness. I am clueless as to how to get rid of this. I am exclusively breastfeeding (this is my 3rd child) and have not experienced this before. I still have 20lbs to lose. I am wondering if these symptoms are due to the weight or the breastfeeding. Have either of you had any relief of the symptoms or any info from your doctors?
|

replied July 24th, 2011
breastfeeding and water retention
my daughter in law also was treated for carpal tunnel but it turned out to be ulnar nerve entrapment that they said was caused by fluid retention from pregnancy. Well her baby is two months old now and she still has the painful hands, wrist and forearms and now has high bp. She has been brushed off by so many doctors. She is breastfeeding as well.
|

replied April 11th, 2011
Stiff fingers and sore feet
Tcrumb and Sissysi26 or anyone,

I am in the same situation, swollen stiff hands and sore feet and ankles. They are worse at night and I cannot close my hands when I wake up. I am 8 weeks postpartum today and it is not going away. My doctor just brushed it off as carpal tunnel but I don't have the textbook symptoms for that such as numbness. I am clueless as to how to get rid of this. I am exclusively breastfeeding (this is my 3rd child) and have not experienced this before. I still have 20lbs to lose. I am wondering if these symptoms are due to the extra weight or the breastfeeding. Has anyone had any relief of the symptoms or any info from your doctors?
|

replied November 21st, 2011
Hi all, I am two weeks post and also have as much swelling as I had immediately post c-section. It's awful and very uncomfortable. My father suggested physiotherapy for it today. Apparently there's an apparatus termed a "Wellington Boot" that you wear and it massages your legs and pushes all the fluid up and out. Also, drinking dandelion tea is supposed to help. Now that I'm reading about all the complications that can follow fluid retention I'm even more desperate to get rid of it! As if c-section plus having a newborn with two older siblings wasn't enough!!!
|
12 >>