Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Anaesthesia And Sleep

Hello.

I'd like to know if general anaesthesia also causes the person to sleep. For example, suppose a person is suffering from insomnia, if they get knocked out by a mixture of these drugs, would they feel better once they regain consciousness (or at the very least would that be better than not sleeping at all)? Can general anaesthesia cause REM sleep? What about morphine?

Alternatively, are there any methods/drugs that are known of inducing involuntary, rapid and artificial (restful) sleep almost immediately?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Although general anesthesia is considered as "going to sleep" under the influence of a general anesthetic, sleep and anesthesia are generally regarded as very different phenomena.
There are some scientific news that the same brain area that is critical in controlling sleep/wake states, mediates the sedative effects of anesthetics.
Do you suffer from insomnia?
|

replied December 16th, 2007
Dear MandMs et al,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I am a male 24 years of age.

Yes, I am currently suffering from a terrible and debilitating insomnia that scares the life out of me. As I type this I haven't sleeped for 30 hours, I didn't sleep fro 31 hours the previous night, and didn't sleep for 24 hours the night before that. I might be getting a couple of hours sleep during this time, at most. Now, however, I just can't seem to be able to dream at all. The only thing I can achieve is just lying there for an hour or so in some kind of introverted stupor. I feel all over my body that I am extremely tired and just want to lie down and sleep for the next 24 hours, but somehow I just can't get to rest. What's worse, I seem to have developed a strange neurosis that prevents me from sleeping properly. When I lay down, I sometimes get a perception of having adrenaline-like "rush" spreading over my chest, which eventually forces me out of bed and I start walking back and forth. It also causes some tachycardia. When I finally calm down, I am able to lay down and might sleep a little. I just don't know what to do; I have been prescribed Zolpidem at the emergency clinic, but I am kind of reluctant taking it. Do you think I should take it? Have you ever tried similar meds? Right now I feel relly, really terrible. I feel like my whole life is running out, being drained out of me. All I need is at LEAST a few hours of refreshing sleep, but it just doesn't happen, in spite of extreme fatigue and exhaustion. One of the reason I've posted my original query was because I thought that at least as a very last resort, I might survive my insomnia by undergoing a chemically induced massive blackout (such as with the help of general anaesthesia). What do you all think? Please reply soon!
Please help me, somebody!
|