Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

2 UTIs in 3 months - will they keep recurring?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
I've had 2 UTI's in the past 3 months. I've never had one previous to this. I am sexually active and have been for awhile, but I've always been very healthy and had a good immune system. I've heard that getting one UTI predisposes you to getting them recurrently. Does this mean that I'm doomed to keep getting them?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper ChrisC
|

replied December 19th, 2007
Maybe, if your the cause of them in the first place. Use baby whipes or have a shower after every time you have sex! It could even be the way you wipe yourself after you go to the loo!! If it keeps happening i would suggest you go to your doc and tell him, just incase it could be something else.
|

replied December 26th, 2007
Hi, I have a similar problem and have found a few ways to avoid the frequency of UTI's.

The main thing that I have found that makes a difference is making sure I pee before and after sex (especially after). This helps to flush out the bacteria from that area, so it does not travel up the urithera.

I also only take showers, no baths, as I would feel the symptoms of a UTI whenever I had a bath.

Also, make sure when you go to the washroom you wipe front to back to avoid spreading bacteria into the urinary tract.

Hope this helps!
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2008
always urinate and wash up after sex. do not use perfumed soaps or scented pads/tampons. use a separate piece of toliet paper for the front & back when wiping yourself after going to the bathroom. also, if you get reoccuring utis you should take cranberry pills. cranberries fight off bacterias from your bladder. i would try azo cranberry pills. they also contain probiotics which is very good for your immune system. also, cranberries contain vitamin c which is also benefical to your immune system. also, wear cotton underwear and try to stay away from tight pants, stocking and thongs.
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
I'm 29 and have had reoccurring UTIs for 10 years. Then, I went to a new gyno who found that I really didn't have a UTI every time that I thought I did. She did some testing and found that I have vulvodynia and, another doctor said that I probably have interstitial cystitis too. Both cause you to feel like you have a UTI when you really don't. To make things more frustrating, most doctors will test you for a UTI and, without having a "positive" and relying only upon your own discomfort that appears to stem from classic UTI symptoms, they give you bactrim or cipro (or whatever) and send you on your way.

Here's what I do: I purchased a kit that allows you to test your own urine for a UTI. If it comes out positive, I call my doctor up and ask for the meds., and I take AZO Standard (or something like). If its negative, I take a muscle relaxer (prescribed) that calms the muscular spasms of my urethra that causes me pain and makes me feel like I have to pee every minute.

I hope this helps -- I think the key is take control of your own health. Doctor's offices cater more to informed patients that desperate ones.
|

replied November 18th, 2013
You can get urinary dipsticks to test for UTI's from most pharmacies or stores that have attacked Pharm areas (chemists in other countries?). You need to get the ones that measure for WBC's (leukocytes) and NITRITES. If you have nitrites, you definitely have an infection. Normally, they will say you do with WBC's but some Dr's argue that... grrr. DO NOT GET JUST THE DIABETIC STRIPS FOR KETONES, this is not a measurement of infection! I have had Interstitial cystitis but now have frequent UTI's (on my 4th one in 5 months). Nothing helps me. I have tried using vitamin C (larger doses) and Cranberry pills (Cystex is like drinking 8 glasses of cranberry juice cocktail supposedly) and I used the AZO pills, no help. I don't take baths, wipe correctly (I'm a RN, so I know all that stuff). Today, my NP referred me to a Urologist (in the past 13 months I have had close to 10 UTI's).

Also , make sure you take probiotics to keep your healthy bacteria growth normalized while taking antibiotics. Urinate before and after sex too. Good luck to the rest of you and hope you don't end up with this being a chronic problem:(
|

replied February 22nd, 2008
Water, pills, and big penis's
Def. try peeing before and after sex, especially after.
also, do not hold it when you have to go, this is really bad for you.

Try drinking lots of water and avoid soda. drinking lots of water flushes you, so its not only good for uti's its good for general health as well! Cranberry juice is good too.

If you are getting them all of the time then invest in some "urinary health" pills which are just cranberry pills.

I have the same problem, so I understand. I had NEVER got a uti until I got with my current bf about a year and a half ago. He has a really big....you know! My gyno said this could have something to do with it, bc sometimes he puts pressure on my bladder during sex, so if your man is well endowed then this could also be a contributing factor.
|
Quick Reply