Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stomach, Ulcers, Gastric Bypass Forum

Bloody Stool, Chronic Diarrhea, Stomach Cramps, Loss of Appetite

Must Read
Basic facts on diarrhea here, including the difference between acute and chronic diarrhea. Learn to identify each....
What causes diarrhea? We outline the most common causes of diarrhea (viruses, bacteria, and medications) and let you know when to seek medical help....
Learn how to prepare yourself when seeing a doctor for diarrhea. Know which medical exams and tests to expect, and also which questions to ask. Start here....
I've had bloody stools for around 6 months. There was no pain or associated symptoms initially although the blood was quite heavy and bright red. I have had a lot of gas as well, both anal and oral. I was checked by my pd for hemorrhoids and was found to have some small ones but they were not what was causing the bleeding. I was referred to some sort of stomach doctor but did not get a call back for some months. In the mean time I went on a vacation to Costa Rica for 3 weeks. Everything was fine but when my girlfriend and I returned home we both got Diarrhea. Hers went away within around 3 days but mine did not. I went on antibiotics but they did not help. I went back to my PD and was told I may have a stomach parasite. At that point I was put on new antibiotics. These antibiotics worsened my condition, I was on the toilet 25-30 times a day and was having very liquidy stools. I was also dizzy and weak, could not stomach solid foods, and generally didn't feel too good. At this point I got the call from the stomach doctor. I went in and he examined me and said he thought my symptoms were a part of an inflammatory bowel disease and that he would have to refer me to a gastro-entomologist. This was about a week ago. I have been told it could be up to 4 weeks before I get a call for my colonoscopy and if I don't get a call by this time I should call him back and get re-referred.

At present I am on the toilet around 8-10 times a day and am still passing liquid stools that include alot of blood both liquid and clotted. I get fairly severe stomach cramps and must go immediately. Sometimes belching helps to reveal the pressure on my insides. I find I am belching constantly while using the washroom. I cannot hold down solid foods and have lost weight. I still have an appetite but I find it hard to keep food down. I feel weak and dizzy and not myself at all.

My girlfriend and I have been investigating on our own and think it sounds like ulceral colitis. I just hate waiting and being in this constant pain and dizziness.

Does anyone know anything I can take to give me energy? Or a diet I can use to ease myself into eating solid foods?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper DanW.
|

replied December 15th, 2007
Bloody Stool, Chronic Diarrhea, Stomach Cramps, Loss of Appetite
hi
I have had bad gastrointestinal problems during my college days, alternating diarrhea and constipation, and even black out. Later i took a BSc course on Holistic Nutrition & also Colon management, and now understand how these problems come about. So i suggest that you visit licenced health centre that do colon management in your area, and also go for a good brand of natural probiotics (friendly bacteria). i suppose you could look this up at the yellow pages.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
stomach is complicated
It could be a whole variety of things or even more than one. I am in the same( or a similar) boat with urgent diarrhea, weight loss, cramping, and no known cause yet. I think we need to be proactive and keep nagging doctors until we figure it out.
|

replied April 1st, 2009
Let me tell you a bit more
Had to register--sorry. I started having intermittent chronic diarrhea about 1 and 1/2 years ago and tried to ignore the fact--didn't see a doctor or anything. Well, over the past month it has become on occasion urgent and explosive and life-altering. I see no blood or mucus, though. I went to my pd and did the standard stool sample (egads)--nothing was found to be wrong. I was referred to a gastroenterologist but I am afraid to go for a gazillion tests and then still not knowing. I have read many blogs and posts about that happening and hate to go through a litany of tests to be told to eat more fiber and control my stress. I eat very lightly and healthfully and hate this. I have cramps in my lower abdomen that are sometimes pretty severe. I have had a history of anorexia and I hate to think it may be related. I am not anorexic now but afraid to eat many solid foods before being in public as this can exacerbate the issue. I don't have the exact symptoms of any disease I've read up on (not Cronh's or IBS or gardia or pancreatitis or any of the gazillion others that are scaring me), but I come closest to ulcerative colitis yet with no blood or mucous in the stool. Help! This is horrible. I am starting to think my stress is coming out my rear, and I am a refined woman. Embarrassing and almost shameful-feeling:(
|

replied September 14th, 2009
To sufferers of Ulcerative Coltis, Crohns disease
Dan, and other Colitis, Crohns/ IBD suffers

I have ulcerative Colitis, diagnosed at 15. I have suffered simular symptoms that you described. My body at times becomes completey disabled from the illness. Where I cannot eat sleep or go out because I am undergoing a severe flare-up. A flare up is a time where the disease is out of remmision and when symptoms are at their worste. Which requires Steroids, Anti inflamartory drugs, and liqud diet until the intestines calm down. It is an auto immune disease. Which means your body is litterally attacking itself. There are treatment options that your doctor will recommend depending on your case. You will most likely need a colonoscopy to scope out the situaton in your entire digestive track. Anyways, I've tried many things to be well. But I am never 100%, but there are times where I am more functional( whene I am not in a moderate- severe flare up). The one thing I regret is going on a healing diet which I will recommend to you. Once I got off it I started to get sick again. I will try my best to start again. Because I've been experiencing such horrendous symtoms I am in fear of it getting worste and my colon be removed, because the inflammation is in my colon, and that of Ulcerative Colitis sufferers. The main thign is to lower the inflammation, once the inflammation is down and in check, your body will not attack itself. It is important to read the book BREAKIGN A VICIOUS CYCLE- The diet you will need to follow is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It has helped many suuferers of Colits, Crohns disease. It is a a diet which will resotre your bodys good bacteria and let your inflammation eventually decrease, and even deminish to ultimetly, a point of overal wellness. It is important to be kind to yourself, and not judge the situation, as hard as it is, you must make a mental acceptance in times of flare up so you do not make it worste. Stress, dispaire and resistance can cause more harm than good, and will not bring the universe to make you well! Listen to some good music, thats a great sensory healer too!- my faves- Beatles, doors, leppelin, floyd, beach boys, dylan... its all good stuff! and it will be your best friend in you time of trial and suffering. while youre at it go into a hot bubble bath, a few candles and add epsom salts for your full relaxation, try and deep breathe of course too. Enjoy after or during your bath, a nice cup of hot herbal tea.
For every sufferer of IBD and illness... Wishing you peace love and harmony!
|

replied December 1st, 2009
is it still hemmoroid?
i was diagnose of internal hemmoroid at a county hospital 2 years ago, undergone a barrium enema test also just to make sure there is no other causes of bleeding...from then on i am probably bleeding or having blood on the stool...its not that much blood tho, lately i had some lose bowel for almost a month now and i am starting to feel cramping on my stomach too, there is noticeable blood now... i poop 2 to 3 times daily which is not normal to me...i lost about 7 lbs should i go back and be checked again? pls help!!
|

replied January 18th, 2010
look for food allergy, celiac disease, and drink cabbage juice and licorice tea.
|

replied January 18th, 2010
look for food allergy, celiac disease, and drink cabbage juice and licorice tea.
|