Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Nuva Ring - Sex On the Fourth Week

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Nuva Ring is in 3 weeks and out the 4th. My question is...

Are you protected during your 4th "period" week while the ring is out or are you unprotected and can become pregnant?

I searched for an answer all over the web, but no success. Please help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 12th, 2007
Experienced User
Yes you are protected.
That's the whole point of BC. As long as you have inserted and taken out the ring at the proper times you are protected.
|

replied December 12th, 2007
Experienced User
Yep you should be and it should have been in the info you get with it. Or go to the web site for nuvaring I'm sure it's there too!
|

replied July 23rd, 2009
I've been on nuvaring for almost 5 years and i have never had sex during my 4th period week, i am just now wondering if this was unnessisary - I always thought I was not protected but they never made that clear on the website or in any of the information - BELIEVE ME i've read it - i'm now going to ask my doctor and finally get it sorted out
|

replied June 23rd, 2010
I'm currently wondering the same thing. I'm relatively new to the nuvaring and I am on my off week and did have sex so now I'm wondering if I need to be worried.
|

replied August 1st, 2011
Sex during 4th week of Nuvaring
Straight from wikipedia- "The currently approved NuvaRing regimen specifies insertion of the ring into the vagina for a three-week period, then removal of the ring for one week, during which the user will experience a menstrual period. The break week with NuvaRing is comparable to the placebo week for combined oral contraceptive pills ("the Pill"), and the contraceptive effect is maintained during this period."

In other words, during the fourth week you ARE still protected and can have intercourse. I hope that was helpful.
|

replied June 26th, 2012
Not sure if this is the right forum to ask this but ive been on nuvaring for a month took it out for ring free week and reinserted it today do i always have to wait 7 days to be protected
|

replied July 21st, 2013
Currently 34 weeks pregnant and i conceived during that "4th" week. Stay on the safe side if you cannot afford to be a mother, it's not the end of the world to use a condom for a day or two out of the month! (Trust me, your partner will get over it, and if he can't, he doesn't deserve your body) Good luck and stay smart!
|

replied July 21st, 2013
Currently 34 weeks pregnant and i conceived during that "4th" week. Stay on the safe side if you cannot afford to be a mother, it's not the end of the world to use a condom for a day or two out of the month! (Trust me, your partner will get over it, and if he can't, he doesn't deserve your body) Good luck and stay smart!
|