Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Is There Medicine / Pills to Prevent Unwanted Pregnancy ( Sex )

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
User Profile
I have unprotected sex with my boyfriend near my menstrual cycle period. I could say that the day before we have sex i could feel that my period is very near. I am so afraid being pregnant after we have unprotected sex and that was the first time we had it together. Now have passed 3 day and my period suppose to be this few day haven't come yet. My question is, is that any way or medicine that could prevent me from pregnant. Please advise!! Thanks Sad<br>
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2007
Birth Control Answer A3461
There are urgent contraception-pills that are called "emergency pills" or "Plan B" pills that you might be able to take to prevent an unwated pregnancy. However, these birth control pills should be taken (at most) 72 hours after intercourse or unprotected sex. Having unprotected sex a few days before the period should be relatively safe ... if your menstrual cycle is regular but you can never be 100% sure. If your period is late, you can take a home pregnancy test to check if you are pregnant or not. And then you can follow up with a gynecologist if necessary.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Birth Control , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.