Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Vocal Chord Damage Dur to Coughing/laryngitis?

Must Read
What is laryngitis? And why do you lose your voice? Learn the basic mechanics of the vocal cords here....
Layngitis can be acute or chronic. But what causes inflammation of the vocal cords? And are some people more at risk of losing their voices? More here....
Is a hoarse throat always a sign of laryngitis? When should you or ar child see a doctor for a sore throat? Plus, info on possible complications of a lost voice...
Hello,

i had a serious bout of bacterial bronchitis over christmas 2003 that had me coughing severely, and very often. It was a dry, barking cough and was by far the worst I ever experienced. My throat was itchy all the time during this period. After about a week of this, I lost my voice entirely... Which has never happened before. I am a 35 year old with an alto range, normally great control and great pitch. I have never had any vocal problems, and I primarily use my voice to sing and record. Now, I find that I still have no upper voice (airy and hoarse) and I lack control with my lower range. Also, my range isn't as good as it used to be and my throat spasms into a cough while singing. It took about 1 month to recover my lower voice so that I could speak well.

Is it possible I have permanent vocal chord damage? It is going on 4 1/2 months now. I am scared and want to see a doctor, but having never done this before, I have no idea what expert to call. Can you advice and tell me if any of this sounds familiar?

Thanks so much,

jlc777
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper duchess100
|

replied April 17th, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I have heard that the chinese (try a chinatown near you or a chinese herbalist) have a wonderful cure for all things voice related made from honey.

I also wonder if like soooooooo many people you perhaps rushed back into using your voice too soon & have thus further strained it? Try some rest, warm honey & lemon, warm towles around your throat & find a chinese herbalist Dr.
|

replied March 18th, 2009
Are you better now?
Dear JLC777

Did you get your voice back? How long did it take. I have had the exact same thing happen to be this winter. I still cannot sing properly after 4 months.

PB
|

replied April 22nd, 2009
Do some research on chemtrails. The chemicals in them often cause a dry, hacking cough that won't go away for months. A quick rememdy is inhaling with tea tree oil. Put three drops of a good quality tea tree oil into a mug, pour boiling water into the mug, and inhale the steam. It is pretty disgusting and even a bit painful, but it does help kill off the fungus in your lungs within minutes.
|

replied November 7th, 2009
I'm having the same vocal chord problems right now. I am an alto and used to have a wide range being able to sing to high E. After a bout with bronchitis in September and being on 2 rounds of antibiotics and steroids, and an inhaler,my cough is still there and I cannot sing. It's so depressing as singing is so important to me. Does anyone have ideas of what to do about this?
|

replied September 17th, 2010
ive been having problems with my voice for nearly 2 years now.i used to sing at suprano,now im strugging to reach the low chords,i cannot shout,scream,nothing comes out.this breaks my heart,just wish i knew of a cure.kathy c,
|

replied October 11th, 2011
I was a singer in church & community choirs. In Dec. '09 right after a concert I got very ill, then a cough that lasted at least a month, had to go on codeine to treat it. Since then my voice is not the same at all, I've lost my upper range and I can't sustain a tone with assurance, and it doesn't even sound like the same voice. I went on complete vocal rest for many months and it got a bit better, but nothing like it used to be and I am heartbroken. I can't sing solos any more at all. I am now wondering if being on Lisinopril aggravates it, because that has a side effect of occasional cough.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
i had brochitis when i was 19. I coughed so hard my vocal cords where damaged. They were swollen and i could not speak for months. I had to see a speach therapist for 4 months. i couldn't quit clearing my throat and it drove me crazy. You HAVE to quit clearing your throat! she had me suck on lemon drops, NOT cough drops. It really helped. My voice still has a raspy quality and i still have to be careful anytime I get a cough. I'm 46. Go to an ENT and see a speach therapist ASAP.
|

replied April 6th, 2011
i had brochitis when i was 19. I coughed so hard my vocal cords where damaged. They were swollen and i could not speak for months. I had to see a speach therapist for 4 months. i couldn't quit clearing my throat and it drove me crazy. You HAVE to quit clearing your throat! she had me suck on lemon drops, NOT cough drops. It really helped. My voice still has a raspy quality and i still have to be careful anytime I get a cough. I'm 46. Go to an ENT and see a speach therapist ASAP.
|

replied June 22nd, 2011
i have a vocal cord problem...it happnd when i was singing a gird song...but after one month problem it recover....but till that day nw i can't sing properly well...when i consult an ENT specelist...they said u have no problem in ur vocal cord..but nw i got that problem again...i didn't knw what to do nw....
|

replied January 8th, 2012
I am a vocal coach, and I have dealt with people who have had all kinds of vocal issues, including recovering from laryngitis, losing their voices from acid reflux, and vocal strain. I want to let you know that you CAN recover your voice!! Don't despair! First of all, there are plenty of vocal exercises that can help you regain your range without hurting your vocal cords. There are also breathing exercises, plus even some homeopathic remedies that can help. Obviously, explaining certain exercises, as helpful as you think they might be, could be dangerous if done improperly, but please do know you can recover your voice fully, if you are patient and don't push. Some vocal loss is from cords that are inflamed, or have "blown out" due to strain. Look up "vocal intoning" to see what is written about it, as exercises using that technique can help immensely. Also, closed mouth exercises can help, because you aren't using a loud sound to still connect your cords to breath and sound. I know it's frustrating, but believe me, you can come back from losing your voice!
|

replied May 11th, 2012
Broken hearted but hopeful
Thanks for all your advice and sharing your stories. My husband has/had a beautiful voice - very rich baratone. He hasn't been able to sing for over 4 months. Very raspy and lost all his range. He just saw an ENT who saw a large white spot on one vocal cord with quite a bit of atrophy. He hopes it's fungus. He's going to try an anti-fungal and prednisone for 10 days. If no results he will biopsy for cancer/pre-cancer. My advice is to see an ENT! It sounds like we are in for a long road to recovery. Oh - the ENT said to not use his voice. REST IT. We are broken hearted but our hope is in the Lord Jesus!
|

replied May 4th, 2013
Coughing and vocal chord damage.
I've had a severe cough since November. It is now May. I still struggle with it. I take two inhalers numerous times throughout the day. Take benzo pearl cough pills my doctor gave me, cough syrup with codeine, antihistamines, musinex,been on predisone twice and it just keeps coming back. Singing is everything to me. It is beginning to make me VERY depressed. I miss tons of work simply because I am so weak from the coughing and also am unable to speak for extreme coughing when I inhale. Any advice? (I have COPD).
|
Quick Reply