Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vision and Eye Disorders Forum

Flashes of Color/light In Vision (Page 1)

Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
User Profile
hello! first a little background. 32-year old female. worn glasses since i was about six. very nearsighted. also have an astigmatism. in early spring of this year, i went off my anti-depressant, celexa (20mg). i went off slowly, but apparently not slowly enough. after two months of horrible side-effects/withdrawal, i had to go back on (10mg this time).

right after i went back on, i got headaches. i had a headache every day, though not all day, for five weeks straight. i even had my first migraine. i think i've only had a few migraines since then (2?) but the headaches have dissipated, though i still get one (mild) occasionally.

during some of these headaches, and also before and after, i'd see this strip of colored light flash in my vision. eventually, the colored strip of light would happen randomly for a second here and there, without a headache present. kinda looked like a prism of sorts, though thin, and linear.

during the time of the daily headaches, i went to my optometrist and had my eyes checked. my prescription changed a little and i got new glasses. other than that, nothing out of the ordinary was noted, even though i did mention the headaches and color flashes. his guess was migraines and kinda seemed dismissive.

the light flashes continued, though most of the time, no headache was present.

i eventually went to an ophthalmologist. my pupils were dilated and my eyes were checked. i told them of my symptoms, but the doc said it didn't sound exactly like an ophthalmic migraine, and she'd never heard of visions problems exactly like i was having before. ugh. anywho, my eyeballs were fine and they said they were healthy. no retinal detachment or anything like that.

the color flashes are a little different now. they are more spots, rather than lines. kinda like what you see after having your picture taken with a flash. i have them every day, for a split second here and there, throughout the entire day. my vision is not obstructed in any way. it's just annoying. nothing seems to bring them on and nothing seems to help. i see them with or without my glasses on. i believe they are in both eyes. i see them more when looking at a computer screen, it seems, but i see them in any circumstance. there does seem to be a dull headache with them sometimes, and my eyes feel strained, but often, it's just the flashes of color with no other symptoms present.

i'd say i've been experiencing this for about 4-5 months now.

my next step, according to my doctor, is to see a neurologist. i'm not looking forward to that since it's likely to cost me an arm and a leg. i just don't know what they'd find either.

so, that's where i am right now. any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. if i've put this in the wrong forum, please feel free to move it.

thanks in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper butterfly3
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Hello! I have had the same thing for many years now and have come to ignore it. I tend to see blue or pink flashes and also the white lightning-like flashes in my peripheral vision. I was checked out by the top guys in the field because of a family history of Retinitis Pigmentosa but came back all clear. They said it was probably linked to migraine.

I wouldn't worry if you've been checked out and given the all clear. I think it's often the case that once you notice something such as these lights and you worry about them, then you see them all the more. I'm used to mine now and don't get them so frequently.

Hope this helps!
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
thanks for your response jules.

i tend to think if i pay them more attention, i notice them more. i have been getting really down about it lately, as they are so frequent. i'd guess on any given day, i have about 100 - 200 of them flash across my vision.

i do tend to think a trip to the neuro would be a waste of time, but i might have the consultation anyway.

what's hard for me to grasp is why i have them every day. throughout the entire day. it's maddening! and, it's weird 'cause they've changed a little. initially, it was a line and now it's spots. Sad ugh.

jules, how old are you? did anything change in your life when you started getting these flashes? or did they just happen one day? i truly believe mine were somehow caused by the change in my medication, but i can't really be sure.

thanks again for your input. glad to know i'm not alone!
|

replied March 28th, 2011
Hi, my name is Sheli. I just looked this up tonight due to the fact it is happening to me. The funny thing is, you say they told you to go to a neuro doc. I have a brain tumor. It started very large (size of a peach) I have had 2 surgerys. now only the size of a walnut. In my second serg they had to scrape my optic nerve on the left side. I now have third nerve palsy. I only see blur. I also have been sick for the past few weeks and have had my first migraines for the past 3 days. Tonight is the first of the light just like you described. "prism" colored lights. Thank you for posting. I know now that Im not the only one. I myself would recomend seeing a neuro. Good luck!
|

replied December 13th, 2007
I Have the Same Experience!
Hi! Please contact me at my email add... [email removed]. My name is Shalott, and I am only 17 yrs old, but I am having the same problems like you guys! I didn't undergo any medication so I have no idea what triggered it... It happens to me randomly as well. Doubt it's a psychological thing too... Pls. send me reports about any progress. I'm really scared right now... I haven't consulted any physician either... The weird thing with my case is that I encounter dizziness when it happens and I sometimes vomit. The headache doesn't leave me until I sleep and relax my eyes! Pls. reply!
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2007
Re: I Have the Same Experience!
Monique07 wrote:
Hi! Please contact me at my email add... [email removed]. My name is Shalott, and I am only 17 yrs old, but I am having the same problems like you guys! I didn't undergo any medication so I have no idea what triggered it... It happens to me randomly as well. Doubt it's a psychological thing too... Pls. send me reports about any progress. I'm really scared right now... I haven't consulted any physician either... The weird thing with my case is that I encounter dizziness when it happens and I sometimes vomit. The headache doesn't leave me until I sleep and relax my eyes! Pls. reply!

right now i'm trying going to the chiro for this. the next step would be the neurologist. i'm wondering if mine came from going off the medication and then going back on. sadly, mine seems to be getting worse. Sad i don't know what i can do to relieve this, but it's really bothersome to work like this.

i think you can send me a private message with your email address. the forums won't let you post it on here.
|

replied March 24th, 2009
I'm 32, 20/10 vision, I have frequent migranes & the worst ones follow colorful prism-like shapes that move like a kalidescope. I've had an MRI & vision test but they both came out normal. I also suffer from frequent Vertigo attacks.

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this. Any information I can find, I will let you guys know.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2009
14 months later!
Well it's been 14 months since I started this topic. My "issues" definitely seem to be tied to headaches and/or neck pain. The more I research it and the more it happens, I'm noticing that almost all of the time I see these colored flashes, I'm having neck problems. Possibly a pinched nerve, muscle issue? Scar tissue on the muscles? I'm really thinking chiropractic can help me with this crap, but at $45 a trip, I can't go that often.
|

replied April 5th, 2009
Colored light in periphery
I also have been trying to find out about these occasional momentary dewdrops of colored lights I have been seeing in my periphery for the last 20+ years. They are only there for a moment and when I focus towards it, it goes away. The first time it happened, it was a very euphoric feeling, alerting me that I possibly had a guardian angel. It was a deep purplish blue, the color of a gem. I have seen them in almost every color and I have interpreted them to mean various things. The most common being a cobalt blue or sky blue and that appears when something is absolutely true (as in a thought I am having or when someone is talking to me and is very sincere and genuine). I have seen a light blue brush stroke of color above someone and when I told her about it she said it was her aura (she was a very psychic person). I have seen black swaths of color in my periphery when there has been bad energy about. I have seen ruby red, yellow, and others. Too many really to list them all. I went to an opthalmologist a long time ago and he had never heard of such dew drops of color.
However, in my search, now aided by the internet, I have come upon something which has me thinking. And that is a condition which is a long term side effect of having taken LSD (either one time or more often). Itis called Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD) Though it is not anything really bad, it does fit with what I think I've been seeing. Though to be honest, I have my doubts that it is HPPD due to some fairly metaphysical and theological experiences involving these dew drops of color over the last 20+ years while completely straight. The other thing I should mention is that it has been 22 years since I have tripped. Anyway, while I am not even sure if we are experiencing the same phenomena, it is worth considering whether or not there has ever been LSD use, since apparently it is a prerequisite to the HPPD diagnosis. Most people won't tell their physician about recreational use of drugs. In my life, I truly have felt that these dew drops of color do have spriritual meaning and have since become a doctor and at times have relied upon these drops of color to help interpret a case or treatment that is needed. I hope this helps some.
|

replied April 28th, 2011
Flashes of colored light
I have a similar experience where for the past year I have been seeing a flash of colored lights. They are mainly light blue, blueish purple and creamy yellow although I have seen red also. I have seen these lights in a pale yellow color once over the shoulder of another person. (Usually I see them near me when I am alone).
I do not use drugs and never have, do not drink and rarely even take asprin. I know that the most I have ever seen at one time was about 6 or 7 and that I was having a very upsetting night and had fallen asleep and sometime during the night I had woken to find the flashes of light over my husbands side of the bed. I have come to believe, as you have, that they are some sort of Guardian Angel because of the varying colors and the experience I had where there were more of them around when I was really upset.
They have now begun to streak across my vision slightly although my observation of the occurence altogether has subsided.
I think there is more to this experience than what is perceived as an imbalance (of sorts). I hope more of us will come to understand this phenomenon.
|

replied May 5th, 2009
It has just happened to me
Hi everybody -- this has just happened to me. I have just had a massive row with my husband and I started to see some coloured, prismlike waves moving around the bottom of my left eye and around the left hand side around the edges of my eye intertwined with very bright flashes - it has lasted about 15 minutes and I have never had anything like this before. I will be watching this space to see if any more info comes
|

replied June 28th, 2012
I just got scared to death myself! I started to read the paper and noticed just to the left of the word I was reading, it was all blurry. I had trouble reading. This went on for about 10 minutes. Then to the left of my vision, I saw colors flashing, light blue, pink and light yellow. Pretty, but scary! A few minutes later, the colors were more in the shape of a C to the left of my vision. This "C" became larger and larger until it was out of my vision and now I'm OK. This whole thing lasted about 40 minutes! Has never happened before. I am on a generic Keppra because I had a seizure 6 years ago. What's going on? At least I see that I'm not alone either.
|

replied June 20th, 2009
I too have just had a U shaped visual experience that seemed to swirl with prismatic like colours. I could see definitive lines separating the colours. They reminded me of a kaleidoscope. I paid attention to it and saw that in this U shape that blurred my vision fractal like shapes, in each shape the colours shifted, more like flowed from one colour to the next.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis, I'm 34 years old, have poor posture due to the arthritis, have sever neck pains nearly always, always in pain but ignore it most of the time. My above experience was the first of this magnitude though. I've experienced blurred lights in my vision before. I tend to worry too much as well, so when I had this experience I kinda freaked out, which in turned (I think) made my right eye seem to blur completely from the U shape all the way to the extent of my peripheral vision. I got up and walked around a bit and it went away. I was watching a mud bog festival outdoors, sitting for a few hours, before that I had been standing for a few hours.

I am going to chalk this experience up to my condition, and being seated without much posture change.
I should also mention that I have vertigo at times as well.

At this moment I DO have a mild headache, but I have headaches all the time. I am a fairly active person just getting over 8 years of depression and anxiety due to my condition seeming to take away everything I loved to do.

One thing I would also like to add is that I refuse to take prescription medications for my ailments. I do not trust them, as the side-effects, both long and short, are not worth the temporary relief of specific mental conditions that, in my opinion, are 90% self created due to consequences of our actions throughout our lives, in other words, we are told by the people of authority that doing such and such, and that such and such will give you this ailment or that ailment so often that we are brainwashed into believing that every action we take will have dire consequences. Because we "trust" too much in other people that do not know us as we know ourselves we have become gullible, literally sick people, all because we do NOT do our own research and become knowledgeable of our own selves and who we are.

Also remember, love in everything you do, and trust that you will always be loved. It sounds like a Buddha zen type preach but thus far the only thing that has kept me alive is the trust I have built with the love within me and all around me. I call it love because I do not know any other way to say it.
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Migrains and Lights
I've had migrains since I was about 16 and now I'm 45. I used to wake up with them and then start vomiting. Sometimes this would last for days. It was a nightmare! Now, those migrains have stopped but now I suffer from the ones with the flashing lights. It scares the hell out of me when I see the wiggling lights in my vision. Last time this happened, 15 mins later I had slurred speech, I couldn't remember simple things like my daughters boyfriends name or even of my best friends first name. I understood, that I really did know their names but, when i was told what their names were, it was as if I had never heard that name before. I have had this happened before but it would last about 15 mins or so then my mind would clear and my speech would come back but a horrible migrain would set in. This time, the slurred speech lasted about 20 mins and the confusion lasted about 2 hrs! It's been about a month since my this episode but now, once in a while I'll get a quick flash of light or blur in my vision...and a very small headache. Today, this is why I'm on this site, I saw a pink light, bar shape in my vision. I have a small headache now but..not bad. I wanted to know if anyone knew what caused this and if anyone had any suggestions. New medication or old one they're recommend?

I also wanted to let people know they're not alone out there...it can be scary. Sad
Sabrina
|

replied July 10th, 2009
i get those sometimes too,try to just ignore them
|

replied July 31st, 2009
lights in vision
does anyone also have tinnitus ringing in their ears
|

replied September 28th, 2009
RE: Migraines and Lights
I don't think it is common to have slurred speech or confusion w/ migraines, although the visual things you described sound like that. You might want to tell your regular doctor about these episodes to rule out a mini-stroke. Also, for migraines I have found the Immitrex shot to be helpful, especially in stopping the onset of the headache part.

E
|

User Profile
replied October 19th, 2009
The U shaped prism of colours in the periphreal vision of my right eye is distracting but only lasts about 15 minutes. I never get headaches, I have good posture and no other health problems. I've seen a few different ophthalmologists about it and got no answer. It's got to be something though, so I'll keep searching.
|

User Profile
replied October 20th, 2009
Answers
I'm researching "Scintillating scotoma" right now and find that it may or may NOT be followed by a headache.
|

replied October 22nd, 2009
Aura In Peripheral vision
I have the same problem and it started about 3 months ago. I have been to the eye doctor and retna specialest because my light is white in my right eye. It is in my peripherial vision and it moves from middle down and then sometime it will go up, two weekends it decided to go all the way to the bottom of my eye. I have not headache. Mine is 24/7, everyday, every hour, sometimes every few minutes. Worse with stress. Once in the car driving at night it just about blinded me. They can find nothing wrong with me and are assuming it is a migraine. I do have neck pain and work at a computer. The neurologist found nothing either on an MRI.
I am out of options. The put me on a Tiplomax but the side effects are to much, so I guess I will just live with it. Maybe we were all abducted by alieans and have a bad chip in our heads. Smile Suzanne
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Wow, I thought I was the only one suffering from this odd condition. Although I don't wish it on anyone, it is comforting to know that I am not crazy or alone. Here is my story. In 2005 I was in a very very bad car wreck and suffered serious whiplash injury. I was off work and in physical therapy everyday for 6 months. At the time, the docs didn't think I had any permanent damage that would be life lasting. About a month ago, while sitting at the computer, I had a U-shaped colored prism come on in my left eye. It lasted about 5 minutes or so and then went away. Every now and then it comes back but always goes away. My newest biggest symptom is the debilitating vertigo. About a week after the vision attack I awoke in the middle of the night to find that I couldn't even walk because I was so off-balance. Went to the hospital and docs there said labrythitis, or inflammation of inner ear with a script for infection. Well, the medication didn't take it away. The vertigo is better, and only noticed now when I lay down or turn over in bed. But it is there nonetheless. Has anyone else had these two symptoms together? Other than the car wreck, my medical history is pretty benign, with only a few migraines in my twenties. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
|

replied December 4th, 2009
This is the closest thing I have found on the internet that matches my symptoms. It's almost eerie. Nobody can explain it. I am also 32.

How are you?
|

replied December 10th, 2009
light flashes in vision
If any of you are in your 60s, it may be a retinal issue. Per my opthamologist, the tissue in the eye tears away from the retina. It is very bright and soes not last long. In my personal experience, it was (and occasionally, still is), noticeable during darkness . Mostly, I notice it when I am driving at night. When I shift my field of vision, there is a flash of light. As the doctor told me, it has decreased over time. I still get an occasional flash and I am of the personality type that feels obliged to test it by moving my field of vision quickly. I do see the flashes when I do it, but as I stated above, they are not as big or as bright as when it first happened.
|