Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Can Erythema Multiforme Turn Into Anaphylaxis?

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
My 3 year old daughter developed Erythema Multiforme 2 years ago after taking amoxicillin. Her doctor said she's probably allergic to penicillin (of which, amoxicillin is one type). If she is, will she develop Erythema Multiforme everytime, or could she have an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin in the future, even though her first reaction wasn't anaphylaxis?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Did your daughter develop additional symptoms like bloodshot eyes, eye pain, eye burning, itching and discharge or mouth sores?
How was she treated?
Penicillins are most common cause for anaphylaxis reaction and there will be always a potential risk for your daughter to develop anaphylaxis if penicillin is administrated again.
Additional exposures to known allergen over the years can increases the count of antillergens (antibodies) that can lead to more severe allergic reactions than the initial allergic response.
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2007
Can Erythema Multiforme Turn Into Anaphylaxis?
everytime she is given that medication she will probably get the same rash if she is allergic to it. my mom works in the medical feild and said that it is not likely that she will have a anaphylactic reaction... i hope this helped but if she is allergic then she should not be given those meds again just to be safe. Smile
|