Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Cosmetic Surgery, Plastic Surgery Forum

chewing on knuckles deformed finger

Hi,
I'm 15 now and for maybe 7 or 8 years I've had the habit of chewing on my knuckles. Not actually biting into the skin, just chewing on them. Just like some people bite their nails...I chew on my knuckles. I used to do it to all of my knuckles and they all turned white and swollen. I stopped chewing on all of them and focused all my attention on one and the rest went right back to normal...that was a couple years ago. I've been chewing on this same finger for years, and now it's gotten really swollen and kinda disformed looking. Is there a plastic surgeon that could remove this swollen area and graft skin onto the area from somewhere else on my body?

I'll take pictures if necessary...

Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Romulus010
|

replied January 28th, 2010
i don't chew...I fold the knuckle skin over with my other hand. It's probably the same feeling as biting them. I started when i was 25 and now i'm 36. hard to believe over 10 years i've had ugly hands.
|

replied July 1st, 2010
CHEWING KNUCKLES
I find this odd that No one has responded to these posts of chewing on ones Knuckles!
I have been doing this since I was 9 years old, I am now 34, and my fingers look completely deformed, I have accepted this as one of those nervous things that I do, but I am interested in any therapy, and or procedure I can have done to make them look normal again.
Above all, I notice that this is a form of self mutilation, and I tend to do it when my mind races, or when I have idol time. I also do it out of compulsion.
I am researching perhaps hypnosis therapy, to correct the thought process that leads to me putting fingers in my mouth.
Once the habit is broken, I may look into surgery to correct anything that doesn't heal on its own.
|

replied May 23rd, 2011
knuckle biting
my story is exactly like yours. I started chewing my knuckles at 8 years and have been doing it onand off my whole life. I am now 42.I tend to do it more when I am anxious or stressed or when sitting in front of telly. I will often do it without realising it.I used to chew all my knuckles but now I am down to just the one.all the others went back to normal but my left pinkie finger has no hope. do you still do it? any suggestions on how to stop?
|

replied July 26th, 2010
I also chew my nuckles. I chew them becase i like to bite the hiars off them and I really like the feeling. I really wanna stop but i cant the feeling of biting the hiar of is so good. Its really odd and now my nuckles are swollen. How can i make them back to normal? Does anyone else bite there hairs off there nuckles?
|

replied October 7th, 2010
I have been biting my knuckles for as long as I can remember, probably since I was like 10 or 11 maybe and I am now 41. My knuckles look horrible and some I don't touch some of them and others don't even look like knuckles. I have never seen anyone with hands like mine. I wonder exactly how many do it? I wonder if there really is surgery for it? WHen I am calm and life is good and I keep busy I don't touch them, but when I am nervous, anxious or my mind is racing then I chew the hell out of them!
|

replied February 2nd, 2011
Biting on Knuckles
I use to bite on my knuckles 3rd-7th grade, and my finger would be so swollen and it was the finger you put your wedding ring on. So i started thinking about when i Would get married and what would my husband say . lol . So i just stopped and my two fingers are back to normal.
|

replied July 22nd, 2011
I did this for 6-7 years, my knuckles and fingertips got red and swollen and were slowly deforming. It was an anxious compulsion, and like knuckebitter says, it's also self-mutilation. I drastically reduced how often I do it, but I will catch myself chewing on my index finger when I'm absentminded or nervous. My fingertips look normal now but they're extremely calloused from years of abuse. Most I have 3 spots on my knuckles that are now slightly whiter than the surrounding skin that I'm not sure will ever go away.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
I also chewed my knuckles of many years until rough callouses formed like the skin on the bottom of your feet. There is a solution to fixing them. You can grind away at the calloused skin with a nail file or emery board untill you are down to tender living flesh. They will look swollen and a little red but if left for a week or so (and not bitten) will return to a normal look. If you take the habit back up they become hard and calloused again very quickly. I hope this helps anyone that feels their knuckes look deformed. You can remove that excess build up of skin and end up with a very normal look.
|

replied October 7th, 2011
chewing on knuckles
i have the same problem.. done it to one, stopped and then onto another. the other one healed, and now this one is still swollen.There is a procedure.I went to the dermotologist and he said that they could perform a skin graph. This would be acceptional, except theres a catch. there is an 80% chance of success, and a 20% chance of failure. since the skin on your knuckles is so close to a nerve ending; if the procedure goes wrong you might lose the motor skill of bending the finger. like most of you ive had this for years, though besides this im trying a new treatment myself, basically grinding down the skin till raw red with a nail filer, and applying baking soda and olive oil, then band aid. repeat everyday. its been 1 week and a half and to be completely honest it looks promising; half of it has returned back to the normal color of my skin and the swelling has gone down as it appears. ive researched this extensively before trying. Yet, if nothing happens by the time i hit 18 that skin graph will start looking really nice. I refuse to have this for the rest of my life.
|

replied April 5th, 2012
I'm so glad i'm not alone. I'm ashamed of my knuckles after the damage and i can't stop. Where can i get help for this my GP didn't even know what the lumps on my knuckles were..
|

replied June 4th, 2013
Chewing Knuckles: Unhealthy? Or not?
Hai, I'm 21. My boyfriend chews on his knuckles all the time. I try to get him to quit, but the question is always "Why?" Is there any reason why he should quit, besides the fact that his knuckles will look deformed? I need some good reasons for him to stop. Please answer ASAP!
|