I'm 15 now and for maybe 7 or 8 years I've had the habit of chewing on my knuckles. Not actually biting into the skin, just chewing on them. Just like some people bite their nails...I chew on my knuckles. I used to do it to all of my knuckles and they all turned white and swollen. I stopped chewing on all of them and focused all my attention on one and the rest went right back to normal...that was a couple years ago. I've been chewing on this same finger for years, and now it's gotten really swollen and kinda disformed looking. Is there a plastic surgeon that could remove this swollen area and graft skin onto the area from somewhere else on my body?
i don't chew...I fold the knuckle skin over with my other hand. It's probably the same feeling as biting them. I started when i was 25 and now i'm 36. hard to believe over 10 years i've had ugly hands.
I find this odd that No one has responded to these posts of chewing on ones Knuckles!
I have been doing this since I was 9 years old, I am now 34, and my fingers look completely deformed, I have accepted this as one of those nervous things that I do, but I am interested in any therapy, and or procedure I can have done to make them look normal again.
Above all, I notice that this is a form of self mutilation, and I tend to do it when my mind races, or when I have idol time. I also do it out of compulsion.
I am researching perhaps hypnosis therapy, to correct the thought process that leads to me putting fingers in my mouth.
Once the habit is broken, I may look into surgery to correct anything that doesn't heal on its own.
my story is exactly like yours. I started chewing my knuckles at 8 years and have been doing it onand off my whole life. I am now 42.I tend to do it more when I am anxious or stressed or when sitting in front of telly. I will often do it without realising it.I used to chew all my knuckles but now I am down to just the one.all the others went back to normal but my left pinkie finger has no hope. do you still do it? any suggestions on how to stop?
I also chew my nuckles. I chew them becase i like to bite the hiars off them and I really like the feeling. I really wanna stop but i cant the feeling of biting the hiar of is so good. Its really odd and now my nuckles are swollen. How can i make them back to normal? Does anyone else bite there hairs off there nuckles?
I have been biting my knuckles for as long as I can remember, probably since I was like 10 or 11 maybe and I am now 41. My knuckles look horrible and some I don't touch some of them and others don't even look like knuckles. I have never seen anyone with hands like mine. I wonder exactly how many do it? I wonder if there really is surgery for it? WHen I am calm and life is good and I keep busy I don't touch them, but when I am nervous, anxious or my mind is racing then I chew the hell out of them!
I use to bite on my knuckles 3rd-7th grade, and my finger would be so swollen and it was the finger you put your wedding ring on. So i started thinking about when i Would get married and what would my husband say . lol . So i just stopped and my two fingers are back to normal.
I did this for 6-7 years, my knuckles and fingertips got red and swollen and were slowly deforming. It was an anxious compulsion, and like knuckebitter says, it's also self-mutilation. I drastically reduced how often I do it, but I will catch myself chewing on my index finger when I'm absentminded or nervous. My fingertips look normal now but they're extremely calloused from years of abuse. Most I have 3 spots on my knuckles that are now slightly whiter than the surrounding skin that I'm not sure will ever go away.
I also chewed my knuckles of many years until rough callouses formed like the skin on the bottom of your feet. There is a solution to fixing them. You can grind away at the calloused skin with a nail file or emery board untill you are down to tender living flesh. They will look swollen and a little red but if left for a week or so (and not bitten) will return to a normal look. If you take the habit back up they become hard and calloused again very quickly. I hope this helps anyone that feels their knuckes look deformed. You can remove that excess build up of skin and end up with a very normal look.
i have the same problem.. done it to one, stopped and then onto another. the other one healed, and now this one is still swollen.There is a procedure.I went to the dermotologist and he said that they could perform a skin graph. This would be acceptional, except theres a catch. there is an 80% chance of success, and a 20% chance of failure. since the skin on your knuckles is so close to a nerve ending; if the procedure goes wrong you might lose the motor skill of bending the finger. like most of you ive had this for years, though besides this im trying a new treatment myself, basically grinding down the skin till raw red with a nail filer, and applying baking soda and olive oil, then band aid. repeat everyday. its been 1 week and a half and to be completely honest it looks promising; half of it has returned back to the normal color of my skin and the swelling has gone down as it appears. ive researched this extensively before trying. Yet, if nothing happens by the time i hit 18 that skin graph will start looking really nice. I refuse to have this for the rest of my life.
Hai, I'm 21. My boyfriend chews on his knuckles all the time. I try to get him to quit, but the question is always "Why?" Is there any reason why he should quit, besides the fact that his knuckles will look deformed? I need some good reasons for him to stop. Please answer ASAP!
I am an aspiring actor. But I'm always nervous when I go to auditions because of my knuckles. I have been biting my knuckles for about 10 years now and I've stopped for 6 months at a time but gone back to the habit sadly. Now I'm slowly biting less and less but the redness and swollen doesn't seem to go away. My doctor has said that they are scars and never will go back to how they used to be.
I have been rejected from several auditions and I'm wondering whether the reason I get rejected is because of my knuckles. So to do what I dream about doing I need to lose these red lumps on my knuckles but if they are scars will I ever be able to live my dream. Another thing is about family and relationships and friendships. When meeting new people they have asked whats wrong and sometimes i have told the truth and they think it's disgusting and rejected me as a person. So I lie about what it is. I want to have a family but whether I will ever find true love because of my fingers.
I like others on this forum are wondering whether there are any medical procedures that can fix my knuckles thankyou.
I started chewing and squeezing the skin on the lower knuckle of the small finger on my right hand when I was 11 years old. I am 73 now and for over 62 years I have had a lump of hard skin on that knuckle. It doesn't affect motor function and never gets any larger, although I do trim it with large nail clippers every so often and use a sand-paper board to keep it soft-ish.
There seems to be no on-going problem, but it can look a bit unsightly although I sort-of hide it behind the 3rd finger on that hand.
I have had this problem forever. I'm 22 now and I have chewed the skin on my knuckles since I was maybe 10. It started with just one finger, my right thumb but now I chew my right point finger and left thumb as well. All 3 fingers are now calloused and discolored. I tend to do it most when i am bored or uninterested in what I am doing. I will try to say that I'm just not going to do it but then I subconsciously find my hand in my mouth 5 mins later.
I hate this about myself but cannot seem to completely stop. In the past I have tried to hide it when meeting others at school, work, ets. and usually no one ever notices. I just came out and told my girl what was wrong with them 3 days ago. She hasaid asked about it before over our last 6 months and I usually just feel to embarrassed as say I scratched them. (horrible excuse, don't try that one)
Ive never come out and told anyone else about it until now. Admitting I have a problem is the first step and Im trying hard to consciously stop the habit and have found a few tricks that may be able to help other. Because I work a job where my hands are visible up close to others I started putting a bandaid on the 2 finders on my right hand to make them inaccessible to me trying to chew. As soon my lips feel the bandaid there my mind recognises what im doing. It also gives those fingers a chance to heal. Doing this everyday has helped 2 of them but the 3rd is taking all the heat. My next technique may not work for everyone but it is the most effective for me. I have noticed that when I go out with others around, or just have friends over I will not chew on them at all. I try to be around others as much as possible now because I feel to embarrassed and ashamed to chew at all. Using this insecurity to my advantage has really shown results.
I just hope they will heal at least somewhat back to normal.