Medical Questions > Nutrition > Vitamins Forum

Help!: Taking Centrum Silver Under the Age of 50?

I accidentally bought a centrum twin pack of Centrum Silver(centrum for adults over 50). I am a 23 yr.old male and i'd like to know if taking these capsules of centrum silver once daily as a food supplement be alright for me.

Here is the link to the supplement table for centrum silver:

http://www.centrum.com/product_detail.aspx ?productid=CENTRUMSLVR&panel=tablets

and here is the link to centrum for young adults(the one i meant to buy for me):

http://www.centrum.com/product_detail.aspx ?productid=CENTRUM&panel=tablets
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Jinseeker
|

replied December 8th, 2007
Hope somebody could respond to me, i'm still keeping my 2 bottles of centrum silver in the shelf for hope of my moneysworth. I really do not want to buy a new pack of centrum until confirmation of my question.

Thanks.
|

User Profile
replied December 9th, 2007
Centrum should not hurt you even though you are 23, because its just a vitiman, it just has more of the vitimins that older people need in their systems, such as calcium which older people need more of. Its like midol, even though it says for woman, it is nothing more than tylonal with a small amount of muscle relaxer added, there for it is completely safe for men too. As far as taking it as a food suplement. Thats not going to help you much. Vitimins are meant to assist people who are eating relativly healthy allready, not to replace whole meals. That is not to say you should take ten vitimines and say your good, so dont get me wrong there. Vitimines just surve a completely different purpose than what you are using them for and definetly dont prevent vitimine defficiencies. I know that as a fact, as I have celiac desease, and have to have blood tests ran every three monthes to cheek on my vitimines and menerals even though I do take vitimines and protein drinks along with my normal meals. I hope this helps.
|

Thanks for your reply, but i need a professional's advice in regards to my question. I am a perfectly healthy male and i simply want to know if it is safe to take centrum silver and that i am not dangerously overdosing on any nutrients.
|

User Profile
I am a nursing assistant and in college now and the answer was no you will not over dose unless you take more pills than what the bottle says to take. It is just a vitimin not a food subsitute, but if you don't want to believe me thats fine, do your own research.
|

replied April 19th, 2008
Hello
Yes you can take the centrum silver but in the future you can do much better than centrum.. even buying from GNC would be far better than that. Can I suggest the twinlab brand in capsule form as a far better choich? there are others as well.

Even buying from vitamin world, or Puritans pride would be better than centrum.

I am A R.N.,B.S.,CSCS
|

replied January 27th, 2009
centrum silver
In regards to vitamins (sp. centrum silver), if you take too much of any per day per dosage and as instructed , Then your body would simply excrete the extra quantity of whichever vitamins are in excess. Therefore, its ok and safe to take centrum silver if you are under 50 but it is not ideal.That is don't practice to get another bottle when the one you have is finished because in essence you would be paying for what you don't need at the expense of both your pocket and your excretory system.
Rgsd
|

replied February 10th, 2009
Im a medical student
Even though there is nothing wrong with taking centrum silver it is better if you take the NORMAL centrum.....see we can take vitamins in excess such as vitamin c and all the B vitamins, bc we will pee out the excess our body doesnt need....however vitamins A,D,E, and K are FAT SOLUBLE meaning that they stay in our bodies. Centrum silver for 50+ people has more percentage of vitamin A, D, E, and K....which is ok for people at higher risk for heart disease and other age related diseases. so its ok to take BUT its BETTER to take normal dosages according to your health! i hope this has helped!
|

replied July 25th, 2012
should we take centrum silver on daily basis or we can give break???
|

replied November 11th, 2012
My question would be about the niacin and the flushing that causes rapid heart beat when does that stop. I took a centrum silver about an hour ago and I read omits eight hours of flushing what do you suggest
|

replied January 13th, 2013
It sounds like you're worried about toxicity. i.e. Taking too much Vitamin K (or molybdenum or whatever). It's highly unlikely that a 50 year old is going to be MORE tolerant of excess doses of vitamin K (or molybdenum or whatever) than a 20 year old. Therefore you risk is probably zero.

The idea that taking Vitamin of brand X or Y is better is probably not well supported by literature. Especially if there's only a general claim. A general claim always requires more work to demonstrate than a focused claim (i.e. It's easier to demonstrate that Brand X prevents heart disease over Brand Y). Even there it's unlikely that there would be a strong effect of Brand X over Brand Y.

To sum up: Your body is not that fragile (especially at 20).
|
Tags: food, male
Quick Reply