Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

muscle and joint pain, weakness, fatigue, stomach problems

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I've been sick now for many months, and I've been to all sorts of doctors - neurologists, ENTs, a gastroenterologist, and a rheumatologist, and they can't seem to find anything. I've had several symptoms of hypothyroidism and it runs in my family. They include muscle and joint pain, weakness, fatigue, dry mouth, and GI problems. They did GI scopes and found nothing, and said it was probably irritable bowel syndrome. The rheumatologist has tested for multiple disease including lupus, rheumatoid athritis, Chron's disease, celiac disease, etc. and they didn't find anything out of the ordinary. They tested my thyroid hormone levels through bloodwork, and nothing abnormal came up with T3, T4 or TSH. However, the tests showed that I have a high amount of Vitamin D in my body. Could I still have hypothyroidism and it not show up with bloodwork? Do my Vitamin D levels have anything to do with that? I have an aunt that has hypothyroidism and it showed nothing was wrong in her bloodwork, but they eventually found out she had it through some sort of saliva test. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gigemaggies08
|

replied January 12th, 2008
Allergies?
Have you checked into the possibility of food allergies/sensitivities? I had many of the symptoms you described before we figured out I had a host of allergies. The symptoms you describe sound like what happened when I ate wheat...which was all the time. Even if doctors don't think that is what it is and even test you and say you don't have them, doesn't mean you don't. Try experimenting with taking out wheat (or dairy/soy/corn, etc) for a week or two, then add it back in and see what happens. I couldn't believe how good I felt when I got wheat out of my system. I didn't even realize my joint pain was related to it, but it was! Good luck finding out what's wrong.
|

replied January 16th, 2008
Me tooo!
I have had the exact same symptoms you describe for almost 5 years. I have been to every doctor imaginable.....they now tell me its all in my head. If you ever figure out what is wrong, please post!
|

replied February 2nd, 2008
High Vitamin D
There is a condition, newly researched, that seems to cover all your symptoms, that has to do with Cell-Wall Deficient bacteria. It causes a wide range of symptoms, typified by your 'many doctors, many tests, no diagnosis'. One variant is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It's being treated worldwide now under the Marshall Protocol. I don't have this condition, but my best friend does, and she's started treatment and is starting to get her life back. See http://www.immunesupport.com/library/showa rticle.cfm/id/5784 for a summary and http://www.marshallprotocol.com/ for the study site. You will need to find a GP to prescribe the relevant medications and monitor you.
|

replied February 20th, 2008
this is me
I'm a 35 year old woman in the middle of running the doctor circuit, getting tests that say nothing's wrong, and getting looked at by the doctors like I don't what I'm talking about. In the meantime, my joints are killing me and my arms and legs feel so heavy that it's like I'm walking through water. I can sleep 12 hours a day and still feel exhausted. There's no way this is in my head--no matter what the doctors say. I'm scared that they'll never figure out what's wrong and I'll continue to lose my life to feeling terrible. It's just so discouraging!

I have terrible allergies (to trees, grass, mold, etc) but never thought food allergies could be underneath all these problems. Thanks for the idea!
|

replied June 6th, 2012
Fibromyalgia?
Syrgirl. I have the same condition and I have taken blood tests and nothing. Everything came out perfect. I'm scared outta my mind cause I'm always tired, I have tingling in my head and extremities and sometimes sharp pains too. I'm only 18 years old and the worst part is that my hands and feet hurt the most. I have also been sneezing and coughing occasionally for months. I don't know what's wrong with me. It feels like I have a terrible flu that just won't go away.
|

replied March 31st, 2009
adrenal glands
I've had the same issues. My doctor did lots of blood test and everything was normal. She did a salavia test to test cortisol levels. That was the problem. Levels were dropping too low. She's treating w/ supplements. I've been on them for 1 week and already feeling a bit better. So look into adrenal fatigue.
|

replied January 4th, 2012
Headaches,Fatiuge, muscle/joint pain, and Abdominal issues
I am 24 years old and I am a school nurse. I thought at first my immune system was a little run down and I just needed time for my immune system to build up. Well Its been 3years and nothing. I've been to every Dr imaginable with no Luck. Like I said I'm 24 years old should be out having fun, but instead I come home from work and sleep for hrs. I think I could sleep for days and It wouldn't be enough. I've suffered from horrible migraines, muscle/joint weakness and pain. And Bouts of nausea/vomiting and diarrhea. I wish someone had a answer before this consumes my life!!!
|

replied January 11th, 2012
Sjogrens Syndrome?
I've been dealing with extreme dry mouth and joint pain in my arms and knees, have hypothroidism and have gotten the same "It's all in your head" reaction from doctors. I had pretty much given up getting any diagnosis/help when I came across this condition called Xerostomia (fancy word for dry mouth). That led me to this article on Sjogrens Syndrome. As I am not comfortable again looking like a hypochondriac with my regular doc, I'll be asking my dentist about this! Read the entire article as the symptoms may or may not all be present. Hope it helps some of you find answers! http://www.entcenter.net/id207.htm
|

replied November 15th, 2012
I got diagnosed with sjorgrens syndrome,fibromalygia,hypothyroid and pcos.
I am in the process of getting a diagnosis on lupus also.
With the sjoergrens I have dry mouth, eyes and joint pain. I am taking restasis eyedrops and salagen for dry mouth. It helps me somewhat with the dryness. It took all of the docters 2 years to finially figure that out. By that time my eyesight went bad. So just keep on pushing for these tests. Sjoergrens has to be treated or your organs can get affected. Wishing you all the best,
Sonja
|

replied March 1st, 2013
I too have GI problems and each time I get this I get pain in my muscles and joints and feel really unwell and weak. I now have dry eyes and use viscotears for this (prescribed by GP). Why won't GP look further into what is causing all of this? I am sick of trying to get a diagnosis and treatment and just get "fobbed off" each time I ask for help. I am 63 now and these problems are getting worse and worse each time I have a "flare up". I will keep trying to get a diagnosis but am running out of the fight I need to do this.
|

replied March 25th, 2013
Re: muscle and joint pain, weakness, fatigue, stomach problems
I had to leave on a business trip for a week . It just so happpened , i had small amounts of wheat during the trip. My three year joints and muscle pains almost dissapeared. Now, after comming back home and back to my old full of wheat eating habits , the pain is back again. i am goint to go off wheat for a week and will update you of the result.
|