Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Exhaustion, dizziness After a 'stomach Flu'

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
I've read some of the other posts in this forum regarding similar symptoms- and nothing sounds very promising.

Late last week I had what I can only assume was a bout of 'stomach flu'- but like most things health-related, since the same symptoms can indicate several possible ailments- who knows whether it *actually* was a stomach flu or just a case of food poisoning?

In any case, after a few days, my stomach symptoms began to subside, but since then I've been fighting exhaustion, weakness and vertigo (dizziness and lightheadedness). I've deliberately taken it easy- drinking LOTS of fluids (mostly water, but have switched to a sports drink (Gatorade) periodically in an attempt to replenish electrolytes, and getting plenty of rest- as much as possible anyways (gotta pay the bills somehow). The stomach is still occasionally shaky- but I don't think it's necessarily related, and the symptoms are nothing like they were late last week.

I've dealt with prolonged bouts of exhaustion and vertigo before- last year around this time I came down with something that left me feeling largely the same as I have been this past week- and it was only until after the new year that I felt that I *began* to recover from it. At the time my 'doctor' assumed it was the flu- or perhaps an ear infection. Nothing seemed to give me any relief. This year I deliberately began taking vitamins (Vit.C) and supplments (Garlic tablets) to try and prevent getting ill again- and it seemed to be working as I was feeling fine (with a few minor exceptions) up until last week.

I'm not sure whether it was indeed the 'stomach flu' that caused this. I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately- and I don't handle stress well. We had our apartment flood with water (nothing too serious, but enough to cause a disruption) twice in the past few weeks, had to replace a part in the car which cut into the finances a fair amount, plus we're leaving in a few weeks for a family vacation- which one wouldn't imagine would be stressful, but it's been a challenge getting our finances in order to cover our obligations before we leave (I've also been at my job just over a month- so I don't qualify for vacation pay, which puts some of the pressure on too).
Sorry- I'm rambling.

In any case- does any of this sound familiar to anyone? Any suggestions of what it might *actually* be or how to find some relief? I mean- when you have aches and pains (something else I occasionally have had over the past week) you take Tylenol- when your stomach is upset you take Pepto- but what do you take for lightheadedness or fatigue (besides rest- which sometimes isn't an option- and hasn't done a lot for me either... I've been getting plenty of rest, but wake up feeling rotten and like I could go right back to bed for another 8 hours)?

Thanks,

- skubik
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mythian
|

replied December 11th, 2007
Hi There
It sounds like you have the same symptoms as me as much as i dont want to tell you that. Check out inner ear virus if you have not already on this forum...good luck
|

replied December 12th, 2007
I'm honestly not sure what to think about it at this point. I saw the doctor on Friday and he told me it was the Flu- but I have a hard time believing doctors these days since almost NONE of the diagnoses I've had in the past few years (from various docs) end up to be accurate- they throw me a generic prescription of generic antibiotics and send me on my way so they can collect their insurance money and tell me to "come back" (to collect more insurance?) if I don't feel better in about a week.

Personally, there's a part of me that thinks it *could* be the flu, but I haven't ruled out other things either- including an inner ear virus. The doc did look in my ears and (apparently) didn't see anything that would indicate an infection (hence why he didn't give me a generic prescription for generic antibiotics this time around).
Lately my neck and back have become quite sore. Not 'so-sore-and-stiff-that-I-can't-touch-my-c hin-to-my-chest' sore- but more like I have slept on it funny or otherwise pulled it. I did have a moderate neck injury when I was young, and considering that over the past few years my chief complaint has been lightheadedness/dizziness, I'm beginning to wonder whether my poor posture (I sit at a desk all day and almost every night) may be aggravating something to cause strain in my neck- pinching a nerve or something. But does that explain random aches and pains in your arms and legs? Maybe it does- but I don't know.

Stress could still be the reason too- December seems to be an unending string of 'things to do'(tm) that feels like I'm walking a tightrope to get from one end of the month to the other. And it doesn't help when you have other, unexpected things trying to knock you down- like your apartment flooding- or dropping a wad of cash on a replacement part for your car.

At this point that's all I have to go on. I have an appointment with a chiropractor on Monday to see if perhaps the problems I'm feeling are related to my neck- and really, I need a good cracking anyways. Today I do feel a little better- less dizzy. Fluke? Too early in the day? Who knows.

- skubik
|

User Profile
replied January 25th, 2009
dizziness, fatigue
I am a practicing medical herbalist and currently working with my girlfriend who is exhibiting signs of adrenal exhaustion. She is doing a saliva test today for evaluation to see what state of health the adrenals are in. Have you done such a test yourself to confirm the adrenal exhaustion? I believe it is called an ACTH Stimulation Test.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
skubik I was wondering did you get better, I have had similar problems with exhaustion, weakness and no appetite after having gastric flu for 1 day. This is now my 10th day of feeling tired.
|

replied July 30th, 2009
skubik I was wondering did you get better, I have had similar problems with exhaustion, weakness and no appetite after having gastric flu for 1 day. This is now my 10th day of feeling tired.
|

replied December 30th, 2009
feeling this way right now....it's been about 5 days...how long did your's go smellymelly??
|

User Profile
replied May 26th, 2010
This may be somewhat random... but I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia, and often my meds (mostly prednisone) and even vitamins make me wretchedly ill and light headed or dizzy. I know it is so frustrating to go to Doc. after Doc. and feel like you are being dismissed. Please let me know if you find anything out. I will add you to my prayer list.
Jill
|

replied February 10th, 2011
I had a full five day bout with stomach flu last week, Now, is is about a week later. I'm still weak and dizzy. I tire out easy. There's nothing worth seeing a doctor about in my view. There is obviously a long recovery time even after the active symptoms go away. Thanks for the posts, they help.
|

replied February 17th, 2011
i had either food poisoning or the stomach flu on friday night. it came on suddenly, two hours after eating dinner out, and i spent the night running to the bathroom but had neither nausea nor diarrhea since before dawn early saturday morning.

now it is thursday night and i still feel alternately dizzy, lightheaded, and sort of queasy all over my body (if you understand what i mean.) my stomach is still sour when i eat but i truthfully can eat anything with the same reaction, and gradually i'm increasing my food intake to "normal" portions.

saturday i drank perhaps one liter of water, as i spent in the fetal position, mostly asleep, unable to move to get the glass to drink! since then, i've been drinking acai juice (one liter,) gatorade (two liters,) several fruit juice spritzers from the health food store, miso soup, tomato soup, black bean soup, and lots of water. i shouldn't still be dehydrated.

any idea why i still feel so unwell, dizzy, weak, and funny all over?
|

replied February 17th, 2011
Not the flu!
I had dizziness and I was tired but it wasn't connected with the flu. It was bradycardia. I had a pacemaker implanted on Monday.
LesJ
|

replied February 23rd, 2011
weak and dizzy after flu
Im the same ive been feeling week and dizzy since i had flu last week, and its so irritating, i want to do things but im just not able. all i want is to go to bed, but wake up no better than before i had a sleep, i also cant make myself eat, doc just told me to take boost but its just not working, nobody at home understands how i feel. its terrible i want it just to stop.
|

replied February 4th, 2012
How to stop the dizziness and fatigue...
I had the same thing on Sunday January 29 with stomach flu. It's been a week and I'm still fatigued and dizzy. I found this bit of information on how to cure ourselves of this dreary time period.

"The obvious thing to do is to stop eating sugar and refined foods. A lot of people will do great just by modifying their diet alone. There are lots of products on the market for treating the adrenals, but which ones really work? This is very individual, but I will give you some suggestions in part two."

So, we all need to eat more meat and raw or lightly cooked fruits and vegetables. I'm going to cook myself a small steak and steam some vegetables.
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Skubik's lightheadedness
Skubik: How are you feeling today? Did the dizziness go away. I am getting over a cold - had 3 day low grade fever - and I feel lightheaded today. Could it be because I lost so many red blood cells during the cold that I'm temporarily anemic?
|

replied August 6th, 2012
Flu followed by dizziness
I have been dealing with dizziness for 4 years now along with all the signs of lymes disease. This started with a very bad flu like everyone is describing. When I studied it, I learned that people end up diagnosed with things like fibromyalgia, arthritis, MS, Parkinson's, anxiety disorder, etc because the Lyme affects every part of your body. So if anyone out there is experiencing a ton of random symptoms like painful joints, anxiety, depression, migraines, tingling in the fingers and/or toes, stomach issues, dizziness, lightheadedness, inability to concentrate or remember anything anymore, shortness of breath, etc you should research lymes disease and watch the documentary called "Under our skin". I would also suggest naturopathic treatment as opposed to antibiotics which on my opinion make it worse. And also a heads up that most doctors will deny that you have it- so find a doctor who really is on your side.
|