Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Hurting Gum On Side of Mouth After Missing Tooth When Chewing

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Yesterday I was out to lunch and was eating chips and salsa and ended up biting down on a small piece of chip that hurt my gum. Let me explain what happened. As I was chewing a piece of chip aligned itself so it was vertical in my mouth. As my top molar came down to chew the piece of chip the chip was not on a lower molar to receive the brunt of the chew, but rather it was right at my gumline. All of this happened so fas that I didn't know what was going on until I had a shooting pain in the side of my mouth. At first I thought that a piece of nacho had actually been inserted into my gum between my tooth and gum, but I went to the dentist and he cleaned it out and said nothing was in there. Now a day later the pain is worse. The pain is not at the gumline but deeper, almost like when I bit down on the chip I cit so hard that it damaged an underlying nerve. I looked inside my mouth and I don't think there is a foreign object under the gum, so I think the only answer is a damged nerve. Has anybody ever heard of this or experienced this painful situation?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 5th, 2007
hmm, rather interesting problem. did you explain this to your doctor who examined the gum? i would suggest waiting for 2-3 days before going to the dentist again. just like any muscle when hurt takes a while to heal, this will probably take some time to heal too.
|

replied December 5th, 2007
there could possibly be a small piece of chip left in there. sometimes (rarely) the hygenist will miss things in my cleanings. I would call the dentist/doctor right away.
good luck
|

replied December 10th, 2007
You may have a chipped tooth that is allowing food to get in between two teeth during chewing.

My lower right canine tooth is like that and pieces of meat and vegetable often get down between it and the premolar behind it which irritate the gum to the point of swelling and bleeding.

I also agree with preciouschild. A piece of the chip could still be lodged in the gum.
|
Quick Reply