Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Multiple Sclerosis Forum

Ms And Menopause

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
How has anyone had their menopause experience affected by their ms? Are there any affects? Does the presence of ms possibly trigger menopause early?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Mick1023
|

replied May 5th, 2004
Thank you. :d
|

replied January 19th, 2005
Memopause
:? Has anyone else experienced increase in ms symptoms with hotflashes? And has hormone replacement helped anyone??
|

replied January 27th, 2005
Ms And Hormone Treatment Therapy
Hello,

i am taking estriol, still have a cycle, although irregular and hot flashes on occasion. I am not sure if estriol helps with the increase in ms symptoms, but I feel overall more centered, and my symptoms are reduced before, during, after my alleged cycle :)

hard to dissect out whether its direct positive effect or a reduction in the increase in ms symptoms during this time. I suspects its all interrelated and just saw a small study connecting testosterone levels in women with ms. Oh, this tangled web

best,

toni-ann
|

replied January 31st, 2005
Article On Hormone Changes And Ms
Http://www.Mscare.Org/professional.Cfm?Doc _id=200

it talks about ms changes during cycle but might have info you can apply to menopause. I have not read it carefully yet.

Best,

toni-ann
|

replied January 22nd, 2006
Ms And Menopause
I am so glad to hear that other people are having issues with "hotflashes" and an increase in ms symptoms. After 16 years of my neurologist telling me "to never break a sweat", I now break a sweat ten times a day and most of the night. Since menopausal symptoms have started my ms has worsened. I have several aquaintences with the same issues, with no real assistance.
|

User Profile
replied January 22nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Hi there! You might waant to talk to your regular Dr. And your gynochologist to see what they reccomend too!
The best to you!
|

replied March 25th, 2006
This Might Be of Interest to You!!
Did you know that between 1991 to 1999 eighty-seven of the one hundred doctors who responded to a survey and who had published guidelines for healthy living also developed contracts with the pharmaceutical companies .
To learn more go to www.Dontforgettotakeyourvitamins.Com/davis 47087
|

replied July 1st, 2009
I guess I've been lucky. I've never had a hot flash and I've been period free for about 5 years now. I don't sleep well and my MS symptoms are worsening faster, but at least I'm not hot.
|

replied August 15th, 2009
MS and Menopause
I am a 50 year old menopausal woman who has had MS for 14 years. Yes, menopause has affected my MS in a few ways. Specifically fatigue, fatigue, fatigue!! The hot flashes are random and often, so they do interrupt my already comprimised sleep. Additionally, menopause causes insomia, thus further interrupting my sleep. Add the PMS symptoms and I have to fight the fatigue daily. After doing extensive research, I have decided that hormone replacement therapy is not for me, so I have taken steps to eat healthier, exercise more, keep my mind active, and my attitude positive. Most days I feel like the "little engine that could", and I just remind myself that I am almost over this hurdle. Best wishes to all my menopausal MS sisters!!!
|
Users who thank Mick1023 for this post: leetee  marydana  bev4401 

replied September 9th, 2009
Dear Mick1023
I don't believe it! I have MS dx 12 yrs ago. My doctor told me last year I was not pre menopausal. I am 48. I read your post and that lightbulb went off in my head. I have been getting hot flashes since I stopped taking wellbutrin, about 2 weeks. My symptoms are worse including this horrible neuralgia in my eye area. I don't know whether to go back on the wellbutrin or tough this out. I also decided to exercise and eat correct foods. Are there any natural supplements that may help, though?
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I have had Ms for approx 19 years- 49 and definitely going through the change- I believe that MSand Menapause are not friends, headaches(bad), flashing periodic but intense while happening, it jusat seems as if it is another big thing to deal with for a while< headaches And fatigue/pain are the most intensified, eating right keep moving EVERY DAY even hen I don't want to. It can't last forever..still feeling cute and sexy.. HAH!!! not really the bonus!
My best advice is to make sure every night is a sleep night_ it is medication for us. I tKe very low dose sleeping aid and sleep every night. Any words of wisdom are appreciated>
thx
dana
y
|

User Profile
replied March 3rd, 2010
what helps me
leetee, if u check back, flaxseed capsules help immensely.
But if u take pain meds take them about 2 hours a part. I started going thru menopause almost a year ago, and the hot flashes are awful...so I tried the flaxseed capsules. They help. I absolutely can say it is not a cure but it helps to some degree. I have experienced an increase in my MS symptoms nice to know I am not the only one. I would not wish MS on my worst enemy...well maybe I would lmao just kidding, I wouldn't but it is tempting lmao!
good luck.
|

replied March 4th, 2010
Thanks, Kim. I'll try the capsules. I wonder if I could just use flaxseed...good luck to you, too!!
|

replied March 29th, 2010
MS and Menopause
I'm 53 just diagnosed with MS, seem to have had it for 18 years and didn't know it. Going through menopause now, having headaches, hot flashes and now high blood pressure. Worried that MS symptoms will worsen. Planning to increase exercise, improve diet and take flaxseed. Thank you all for your posts.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
ms and menopause
Help. I have MS for 20+ years and now Menopause. I feel like I am dying. My rt leg is numb and very weak. What type of exercise do you do?
|

replied May 6th, 2010
Is hormone therapy bad for ms?
|

replied May 27th, 2011
Hello I'm 54 and menopausal. Not taking any medication, but two weeks ago lost the sight in my right eye literally overnight. I'm currently waiting to have a brain MRI as MS has been mentioned.
Can anyone give me some advice as I don't know if some of the symptoms of MS I've experienced are symptoms of the menopause.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul
User Profile
User Profile