Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Pityriasis Rosea (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Has anyone ever had this? How long did you have it for? I know it says it goes away in 6-12 weeks, but I was hoping to hear from people who have had it.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper sro312
|

replied April 17th, 2004
I've had it and it seemed like forever that it lasted - I went to my family doctor because I was going on vacation and wanted the spots gone. He gave me a cortisone shot and they were gone in two days. Best trip to the doctor ever!
|

replied April 17th, 2004
Well I am 14 years of age. Am I old enough for the shot?
|

replied June 3rd, 2004
Long-term
I am trying find out if anyone out there has had to deal with this long-term. Mine started about 6-7 years ago. I went to the doctor for a rash I developed on my hips and buttocks. I assumed that it was ring-worm and this turned out not to be true. At one point several years ago I started getting them on my back and sides and went to the dermo. And he said I had pityriasis rosea. Those on my back and and my sides did go away and have not come back like the doctor said they would. They looked exactly like the ones on my rear end and hips, but those still come back and I almost always have one spot or two. Last time I went 5 months ago he said that they were probably eczema since I do occasionally get hand and foot eczema. It is just very frustrating to feel like no one can tell you exactly what it is. Any help would be appreciated.
|

replied June 4th, 2004
My Experience
I'm a 20 year old female and I currently have pityriasis rosea, and it's hell. It started with one large patch under my left breast in early february. I thought it was ringworm so I religiously put antifungal ointment on it. However this didn't help and after smaller spots started to appear on my chest, I went to see a doctor. I showed the nurse my initial large patch and my smaller ones and she immediately diagnosed me and said there was nothing I could do for it but to wait it out. So now here it is, early june, and I still have it. I have patches on my chest, my stomach, my sides, my underarms, and even up my neck into my hairline. Some of the ones on my stomach occasionally bleed because I scratch them because they itch so much. All the research i've done on pityriasis rosea says it usually goes away in 8 weeks. I've had mine now for about 16 weeks. I sure hope it goes away soon because bathing suit season is right around the corner.
|

replied July 1st, 2004
Hey
Hey, im a 16 year old female, and when I went to the doctors a couple weeks ago, they told me that I had pittyriasis rosea. Iv been getting these spots since I was about 13 or 14, but never connected the dots until now. Haha dots, I know I know, bad pun.
Anyways, I found the first one on my leg, then they started around my breast, and stomach, and now they have spread to my back, and sides. I do have some on my arms, around my unde rarm, and they piss the hell out of me.
But there is nothing I can really do about it, so I try and not let it get to me. Iv had them for about a month not, and they are starting to fade, so all will be told in time.
|

replied October 7th, 2004
Pityriasis Rosea
My doctor suggested compresses soaked in half ice water and half whole milk (must be whole) for the itching. It works!
|

replied November 3rd, 2004
Pityriasis Rosea
Yes this sucks these spots appear in the most bizarre places, always somewhere you want to show in a dress, well I am goin to try the cortisone shot to see if it kills the fungus in the skin layers so the spots will not keep reappearing, I have had the spots for about three weeks and they seems to going away but I want the skin to return to its normal complexion, so I may get the cortisone cream-prescribed for the full dose of course and the itching is horrendous, but I hope the spots dissappear Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
|

replied November 3rd, 2004
Pityriasis Rosea.
First of all, this is not a fungus. It is a fairly common skin condition for which the cause and the cure are unknown. My bout lasted exactly 8 weeks. It only itched when it started to go away, and when the spots start to fade, the skin gets flaky and peels. So attractive! Usually, it doesn't return, but if you've read these posts, obviously sometimes, it does. Also, it usually occurs to children and young people, but i'm way older than that.

Taking cortizone shots or by mouth can be tricky. It may make the condition disappear, but then it can come back with a vengence and last even longer. In my experience, cortizone ointments (even prescription ones) were useless for the itching.
|

replied November 26th, 2004
I have had recurring breakouts of this since I was 13 -- im now 23 Sad -- I get a quick outbreak like once every year -- sometimes twice -- fall and spring. Most times im extremely lucky and get the 'mother' patch and a few other patches -- but they itch like hell to the point where they either bleed or get puss from infection -- funky huh -- can infect an infection -- yuck -- but I just use some generic calahist from walgreens or cvs & it clears up in a few weeks -- (3 weeks tops)
|

replied January 14th, 2005
I Currently Have It
I am an 18 year old female and I had one spot on my thigh a little after christmas and I assumed it was a ringworm but little did I know one appeared on my stomach and from then on they are everywhere! I went to the doctor yesterday and that's when she informed me I had pityriasis rosea. She told me it lasts from 2-3 months! I was very disappointed but if it doesn't go away in approximately 6-8 weeks I will go back and ask her about the cortisone shot!
|

replied January 14th, 2005
I Too Have It!
I am 18 years old and I just found out I have pityriasis rosea but at first it wasn't on my breast but now I have bumps all over my breast. The ones that itch the most are the bumps on my stomach and back! Do you still have pityriasis rosea? And how long did it last or have it been?
|

replied January 22nd, 2005
Pittyriasis Rosea
If it's not contageous then how did I get it? :?:
|

replied January 23rd, 2005
Pr
Hey i've got this too. I've just been to the doctor and they prescribed a hydrocortisone cream and piryton tablets. I'm not sure how long ive got it for as I think i've had the large patch on my abdomen for about 3weeks.I've never had it before and hope like hell I dont again...This is worst than chicken pox...Has anyone noticed as the other little spots appear the large one begins to dry up?
|

replied January 24th, 2005
How Long
I can't seem to find anything on the site...

Is there anyone on here who has had pr and recovered who could maybe say how long it takes after the spots appear on the abdomen etc?
|

replied March 17th, 2005
I got pityriasis rosea when I was 12 years old. Many doctors have told me that the spots should go away within weeks, but I am now 19 years old and the spots are still all over my body. The spots are almost maroon colored, I was wondering if anybody knows what I can do to make the spots go away... Thanks!
|

replied September 12th, 2005
This Pr Sucks
Disappears in 8 weeks my @rse!!. Got it in aug 04, didnt start to fade until 9 months later. In that period 3 times it slightly faded/stopped being itchie, then came back. Sept 05 and it is no longer red, but some times itches and comes back like little mozzy bites. It come come and disappear in 5 days
the best it has got is nearly gone, scars looked like small bruises.

This thing must be environmetal. It cant just come back intemittently.

I have tried noting eating habits, places visited, but it gets difficult when lifes is so busy.
|

replied July 2nd, 2013
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I didn't get this ish until I moved to L.A. I read that P.R. occurs commonly in tropical climates.
|

replied July 2nd, 2013
I agree with you wholeheartedly. I didn't get this ish until I moved to L.A. I read that P.R. occurs commonly in tropical climates.
|

replied October 5th, 2005
Is it normal to have bumps related to rosea on your hands???
|

replied October 19th, 2005
I have it and it sucks. But the good news is that it isn't serious and can take up to months to clear up. Just hang in there. :)
|

replied October 24th, 2005
I had mine for about 4 months. Its not an easy thing to go thru - medically wise is ok I guess but it doesn't help your self esteem much. You just got to hang in there. Even now though its supposedly gone, but often the odd small red bump still appears. Not sure if its the pr or something else. I am constantly worried that it has come back everytime I see a red patch appear. My first herald patch appeared on my thigh. However, I have read that some people have a form of the pr where no herald patch appears at all. So its dependant on the individual. No cure, just got to hang in there, avoid taking too hot of a shower and use soap alternative (e.G soap free shower gel).
|
Tags: hear, skin
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
User Profile
Dr. Mitaly Pathak Agarwal
User Profile