Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

postdrome symptoms after first migraine?

Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
How old were you when you got your first Migraine?
What are your postdrome symptoms?

I'm a 33 year old male and just got one...is this common to get a first migraine at this age?

Postdrome...very tired, still some nasua, and it feels like I have a regular headache (nowhere near the painful migraine for 2 days)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Migraine is an episodic headache, usually, lasting from 4 to 72 hours.
At least 90 per cent of the population with migraine have their first attack before the age of 40 and for most people the migraine starts during their teens or early twenties, although it has been diagnosed in young children and even babies.

Did you experience an aura?
|

replied December 4th, 2007
I'm not sure I had an aura...the week before it started I had some moments of lightheadedness especially the morning before I got the migraine (which started that evening). I also felt as if I was going to get the flu. There was a strange moment when I thought I smelt cigarette smoke, which there was no smoke around. Had the migraine Friday night, Saturday and Sunday. Monday I felt like crap...I felt like I had a regular headache, but not as bad as the migraine and somewhat nauseous. Today I still feel like I have pressure in my head and I'm still exhausted. I feel as if I've been in a fight with one too many hits to the head.
Can postdrome last two days?

Thanks
|

User Profile
replied December 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Some recent studies have shown that more than half of the migraine sufferers have the postdrome phase that lasts for 12 hours or less, but the average duration is 25 hours.
Patients with migraine with aura 100% of the time tended to suffer a longer duration postdrome than those with other migraine types.
The most common symptoms of postdrome are tiredness, head pain and feeling “hungover” (headache and nause).
Are you, also, experiencing cognitive difficulties, gastrointestinal symptoms, mood change, and weakness and dizziness?
|