Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Third Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Amnio Test For Lung Maturity

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
We just went in for an amnio in our 35th week. The test came back with a reading of "16". The nurse looked concerned and we cannot get in touch with our doctors. We were supposed to be induced today if the lungs were OK but they sent us home. We received one of two shots of steroids and we were told that they would induce us in two days. This makes us nervous... has anyone had near the same type of thing happen to them, if so what was your outcome??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2008
Community Volunteer
Why are you being induced at 35 weeks? I hope it is for sufficient medical reasons....your baby isn't considered term yet.
|

replied June 2nd, 2008
L-S Amnio Lung Maturity Test
How do doctors test for Lung Maturity in unborn babies? I was 32 weeks and had to go in for another ultasound because I was measuring much bigger. The ultrasound estimated the baby to already weigh 5.5lbs. I am 34 weeks now and I am wondering if this test will be an option for me if they decide to induce early.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Supporter
Re: L-S Amnio Lung Maturity Test
katiek wrote:
How do doctors test for Lung Maturity in unborn babies? I was 32 weeks and had to go in for another ultasound because I was measuring much bigger. The ultrasound estimated the baby to already weigh 5.5lbs. I am 34 weeks now and I am wondering if this test will be an option for me if they decide to induce early.

They won't do an amnio unless there is a major reason for concern. The reason is it is very risky to the baby.
|

User Profile
replied June 2nd, 2008
Supporter
mominashoe wrote:
Why are you being induced at 35 weeks? I hope it is for sufficient medical reasons....your baby isn't considered term yet.

It happens. I'm sure there is a good reason for it.
I was induced right at 36 weeks due to preeclampsia.
|

replied June 15th, 2008
I had an amnio done at 34 weeks to check for lung maturity due to my preclampsia and the babies low amniotic fluid. It's much safer to have the test done while the baby is this far along. My baby was at a level 12 and I was given steriod shots and he was delivered 3 days later at 5 pounds and breathing just fine.
|

replied August 4th, 2008
amnio
i am 41 wks this week i have had two amnios to check lungs first amnio his lungs were at 49.9 dr. wanted to see them at 55 next test they were at 67 wasn't good enough 4 her wants to do a third one, i refused can not go thru that again, the baby hit the needle twice last time is there any need 4 another amnio at 41wks supposed to have a c-section
|

replied February 12th, 2009
amnio
i am 37 weeks i was suppose to have a c-section tomarrow. but my amnio came back at 33 and they said it cannot be done. i have to wait till i am 39 weeks. they asked if i want another amnio in ten days i said no because i would be having the c-section 4 days later. right now at 37 weeks he is 7 lbs and 6 oz. i had the betamethazone shot 6 weeks ago but it did not help.
|

replied January 20th, 2010
37weeks amnio test
i am 37weeks n going to have it done tomorrow i am worried but stomach aches alot they say the lungs are matture they will induce me
|

replied November 10th, 2011
tests
i am 37 weeks never had the test done scared my baby boy is big he weighs 8lbs 12 oz right now im use to small babies!!! i'm nervous im a c section im very uncomfy and frustrated i want him to come now they want to make sure his lungs are strong enough any suggestions?
|

replied July 7th, 2013
amnio
I am 38 weeks my baby is well over 10lbs i will have a second amnio tomorrow and i am scheduled for csection at 1 pm, i pray all goes well my last 2 children number 6 and 7 was over 11 lbs lets see what happens with number 8 by the way i am 41 years old
|