Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

New to Tmj....what meds to use? what dr to see?

HI, I have been dealing with TMJ since the first of OCT. They thought it was a sinus infection 2 different times until the medicine didnt do me any good and Iwent to an ENT on 11/10. He only gave me 800mg of Ibuprofren(?) it has got a little better, such as my teeth and ear done hurt anymore but my jaw is still very uncomfortable.

Who should I see next? An oral surgen? How do I know if a Dr specializes in TMJ?

What meds are you taking and are they helping you?

I dont have any Insurance and I'm a little scared about the cost of this, but it hurts so right now its only a small concern.

Life is just awful, I cant sleep good, I cant eat good. I try not to talk....but I have 2 small kids so I have to talk some.

I do wear a mouth piece that I got at CVS (drugstore) for $30 that you put in hot water then bite down on it and it molds toyour teeth, so I do wear that at night.

Please tell me there is something else, other then surgery , that can make it feel better.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
ok first things first--dump the mouth piece from the drugstore--read the side of the box--says dont use if you have tmd---this is because its made on a one size fits all basis and it will only make things worse.

Aleve is good for this, I dont take anything as a rule but on occasion i do. The type of doctor that im gonna recommend can help and there is a very good chance that it will fix this. esp if you get on this right away. Im a product of this treatment and i know that it works. Try neuromuscular dentistry----if you need help finding a good doctor--let me know--its sort of my specialty.

get on a soft diet--do not rule out chewing as you dont want to loose the muscles. you have to use them. try talking without moving your jaw.

surgery is the last option--and is never considered before all conservative methods of treatment have been tried. this will work so i dont think that you will ever need to go for surgery---pm me or email me at any time--im always here.
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
oh and insurance --even if you had it would not pay for it. tmd is an exclusion in most if not all insurance policies
|