Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Am I Pregnant Forum

irregular periods after still birth = Pregnant?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
O.K so heres the thing I gave birth to a still born about 5 months ago in July. since then i have had 2 regular periods (the first 2 months) in October my period was over 3 weeks late real light and really short (only a few days) well in November i didn't have a period at all. I'm told by my mother that its just my periods being irregular from giving birth, but that just doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone else had this problem after giving birth or should i take a pregnancy test just to make sure?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2007
Community Volunteer
After a birth, even stillbirth, hormone levels can take some time to return to normal. With a normal delivery, discharge can continue up to 6 weeks or even two months. After this time, normal periods may or may not establish themselves....it is different for everyone. Breastfeeding, stress, diet, how much rest a woman gets, etc, are just some of the factors that effect the return of a normal cycle.

It is perfectly normal to be somewhat irregular for a while, but if you are concerned that you are pregnant, you should take a test, especially since you would want to have closer monitoring of future pregnancies because of your history.
|

replied June 13th, 2010
iregularity of menstrual cycle after giving birth
i even try pregnancy test after three months of no menstruation after giving birth on my first baby, but it's negative... what is the possible causes why my menstrual cycle became irregular?? is it risky? do i have to panic, or consult for a doctor? do every mother experience this?
|

replied April 26th, 2011
Irregular period after giving birth
I gave birth last December and had my period (?) last March 04, then again last March 18; I had no period for April, what might be the reason/reasons?
|