Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

ilium upslip

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
what is

ilium upslip?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper rollar64
|

replied December 1st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Have you seen a doctor about this. I did a search and could not find anything. If you did go to the doctor then I am really ticked off. He/she should have spent the time to tell you in laymans terms exactly what it is you have. If it were me (and I have done this on mumorus occasions) call back and demand a diagnosis and find out with the heck it is that you have. The ilium, if I am not mistaken is somewhere between you back bone and you hip. I did read somewhere that is may have something to do with arthritis.
|

replied December 2nd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
ilium upslip is a type of sacroiliac joint dysfunction. The ilium are the large pelvic bones that form the hip joint with the the top of the femur (thigh bone) you were right MsCarrie. The bottom of your spine sits on the top of your sacrum and both the Illa are attached to either side of the sacrum, the whole lot (sacrum and two Illa) form the entire pelvis. The two joints between the sacrum and ilia are called the sacroiliac joints, and there is a small degree of movement in these joints. Ilium upslip is when is when the sacrum slips down on the ilium so the the two bones are not sitting snugly together like they should be.

there are many other types of sacroiliac joint dysfunction many researchers think that they are quite common and can be the cause of back pain chiro's osteopaths and physical therapist often diagnose and treat these disorders how ever doctors generally do not recognise them and some refute their existence.
|

replied December 2nd, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
here is a picture if all i did was confuse people

http://www.bartleby.com/107/illus241.html
|

replied April 9th, 2009
I may have the same thing
It hurts to sit down for a long time, or walk for a long time, as well as bend down using my back, not my knees.
I was dropped on my back on concrete 2 months ago. The pain has gotten worse since, and I saw a doctor about it. He told me the amount of radiation that had to go through my uterus/ovaries could be dangerous in an X-ray, but he checked an x-ray I had gotten of my lower back from getting it by a car years ago. He told me there are two bones that connect to the sacrum that are supposed to sit comfortably, but are overlapping. I should ask him for more details and a diagnosis too. I think I just might have an ilium up/downslip.
|

replied April 11th, 2009
Experienced User
ilium upslip
Hi there

Ilium upslip means that the pelvis and the sacrum are misaligned. It is a term that was used about 40 or so years ago.
In present terminology it would be called; 'Sacroiliac condition. It is easy to overcome by massaging the bony knobs on the back of the hip for 30 seconds at a time about a dozen times a day for a week, than sit back to front on a dining chair, spread your arms like an aeroplane and rotate your body quickly from left to right about 5 times.
The sacrum is a triangular shaped bone that is actually formed by the fusion of several vertebrae during development. The sacroiliac (SI) joint sits between the sacrum and the iliac bone (thus the name “sacroiliac” joint). You can see these joints from the outside as two small dimples on each side of the lower back at the belt line. The SI joint is one of the larger joints in the body. The surface of the joint is wavy and fits together similar to the way Legos® fit together. only a small amount of motion occurs in the SI joint and is a combination of sliding, tilting and rotation.
The most the joint moves in sliding is probably only about 3 or 4 millimeters, and may tilt and rotate two or three degrees.
The SI joint is held together by several large, very strong ligaments . The strongest ligaments are in the back of the joint outside of the pelvis. Because the pelvis is a ring, these ligaments work somewhat like the hoops that hold a barrel together. If these ligaments are torn, the pelvis can become unstable. This sometimes happens when a fracture of the pelvis occurs and the ligaments are damaged. Generally, these ligaments are so strong that they are not completely torn with the usual injury to the SI joint.

I hope that has shed some light on the subject and supplied a way of overcoming it.
Again, Vitamin C is valuable for the repairwork if any of the ligaments are damaged. Possibly between 2 and 3000 mg a day.

Good luck

Kinetico
|
Users who thank kinetico for this post: eternalleigh 

replied August 17th, 2009
I have suffered with this problem for 5 years, although it has just been diagnosed. My pelvis is so unstable that my hip flexor tendon shredded over time and had to be repraired. In the meantime, I have become almost diabled with pain, I'm only 48 and usually a very active person. The exercises my PT has given me to correct the problem over time makes the pain worse, even the slightest exercise throws my pelvis off again and my muscles go into spasm. My SI joint is so painful it can barely be touched. The pain goes all the way down my leg and ends with a burning under my foot, which is constant. Its so bad I've even considered suicide. My PT can take my pain level from an 8 to a 2 in one session, but then it goes back to an 7 within a few hours. I'm not sure you can be more desperate than this, or feel more helpless because there seems to be no solution.
|

replied October 13th, 2010
upslip
i resently fell 5 weeks ago at work and was diagnosed with a upslip. i am a server and am very concerned that even with treatment i am not going to be able to gain full recovery, i have had 2 alignment treatments from a ortho dr which has been very helpful and relived alot of pain but it keeps comming back. once this happens is it bound to keep reocurring? or with a few more treatments will it be fine?
|
Quick Reply