Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Chronic Snapping Hip Ache

Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
Hi There,

I was wondering if anyone out there has had a chronic snapping hip and if so, what they've done to treat it? I was a ballet dancer growing up and developed snapping hip (internal) about 7 years ago. A few months ago I noticed an increase in the snapping (to about half the steps I take a day) and my hip often aches. I am seeing a chiropractor and have had minimal improvement (although the back pain is much better!).

Anyone else gone through something similar? Any ideas on next steps to take?

Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
snapping hip syndrome
i have snapping hip syndrome. i play soccer and noticed it 'popping' after i'd got a nasty bruise on my hip. first i was diagnosed with bursitus, got xrayed, got a cortisone shot (which oddly seemed to make it worse-- i was in severe pain for about a week), got painkiller/anti-inflammitory narcotics after awhile. i got an appointment with an orthopedic doctor, who said it was snapping hip syndrome, and went to physical therapy for awhile. over the past couple of weeks it's gotten worse-- alot of pain, especially at night and at the end of the day. this is the worst it's ever been, and even doing the stretching the physical therapist showed me can be excruciating. the pain seems to have radiated to my knee and my back as well.
it's kind of discouraging to hear that you've had it for 7 years!!! i'm 16, i've had snapping hip a little over a year, and i'm already sick of it!!
as far as things that help-- ice is always good. after soccer games i use a bag of frozen peas and just vedge on the couch and put it on my hip and that seems to make it a little better- haha. there's also this great stuff on the market called 'blue goo.' you can get it at walmart; it's a topical painkiller. it's good stuff-- a lifesaver if you have to go somewhere and your hip is hurting. it doesn't stink to high heaven like other stuff, and it doesn't stain, so that's a plus.
|

replied July 2nd, 2009
Community Volunteer
If I was you I would rest it...I mean really give it a rest...No soccer and nothing extreme...How do you expect something to heal if you are constantly pushing it to the extreme?...This may sound mean, but it just plain has to heal...

Good luck,
Caroline
|

replied November 14th, 2009
I, too, have S.H.S that is getting worse...
I have had snapping hip syndrome (diagnosed) for the last 4 years...but I know that I have had the condition for about 10. It has recently gotten MUCH worse. The cortizone shot I have had recently (which usually helps) is now making it worse...stretches are not helping. I waddle like a duck because my mobility has gotten so lousey. I am now searching for doctors that are more specialized and might offer better assistance. I have read online about many people diagnosed with S.H.S who develop lab.tears and have a Hip Scope - I am investigating to see if that could be why my pain is worse - if the IT band ended up tearing a bit... Good luck with your pain and research!
|

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2009
Community Volunteer
I and welcome to ehealth: I would think that you might consider a hip replacement to relieve the pain...Cortizone will work for just so long...Good luck...

Caroline
|