Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Stress/anxiety Rash: red blotchy skin - bumps on chest arms neck (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
A few months ago I began suffering from this anxiety-related rash. The symptoms are as follows: red blotchy skin, and mosquito bite-like bumps that cover my chest arms and neck. The discomfort level can range from mild to extremely agonizing. The worst part of all is that it is easily triggered by mild stress, anxiety, embarrassment and even heat! If there is a hell, THIS is what it'd be like. So I went to go see a doc, which gave me some lexapro. After taking it for the first time, I felt like I was going insane. Needless to say, I stopped taking that. After several more unsuccessful attempts with the doctor, it had gotten to the point where I began self-medicating illicitly acquired drugs to combat this problematic condition. What alleviates the suffering for me, as i found, is potent painkillers. Since I have developed a tolerance to said drugs, i no longer take them to feel good, only to not feel horrible. I hope that I don't have to deal with this for the rest of my life as some poor souls. For those of you who share the same condition, but do not wish to deal with drugs, I have discovered a promising alternative. There is a plant root named Kava, it is 100% legal and can usually be found in most supermarkets. The root has incredible calming effects akin to those of alcohol and pot. It makes even the most nervous of people sociable and outgoing thereby preventing the anxiety rash. I highly recommend it. (If you do buy some, I suggest getting the root powder. Don't get the extracts or any other stuff like that).

I envy those without this horrible condition. Good luck to those like me.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Madd
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Just a note to all:

Do not get any supplements without consulting you doctor first. Reaction fo supplement vary from person to person. What may have good affect on one may have devistating affect on othere. A skin rash can be caused by alot of things, including anxiety.

Just a word to the wise.
|

replied December 3rd, 2007
I was also wondering if anyone with the same condition knows how long this typically lasts and if there is an effective cure for it.
|

replied February 16th, 2012
I currently found myself having this skin rash. It came on after a huge fight with my husband. It is extremly itchy and a burning sensation. So far I have had it going on two days. I've read up that it can last up to six months but every day it is getting better.

I'm trying to address stressful situations and trying to get myself away from it because having this rash is not worth the stress of having it if that makes any since.

This is what I'm doing...

1. cold compress
2. anti itch hydrocortisone cream
3. benadryl
4. ibuprofen (can make you tried take before bed) -only if your not allergic and you have used this before.
5. trying to combat stress and anxiety. (social situations make me nervous if I don't know the individual, the door bell or someone knocking, and doing every day tasks) It is not easy to combat stress when you need a little in order to get something done. But try watching relaxing television shows, listening to music before bed, and don't take hot baths!!! the blood flowing caused this autoimmune disorder which caused the body to be more subject-able to the environment around us. So number one try to stay calm. The symptoms can be reduced by using anti itch and anti inflammatory over the counter medications. You can also get an Alvera plant and give yourself a mask for about thirty minutes and then use a cold compress to dab off the color in your skin... do this during the weekend when you dont have to go to work!!

There is a cure!!! It has helped me a lot so far. It is only day two and it is slowly going away.. Don't itch it or it might scar!!
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Same thing
I have bumps that come up on my left arm normally in medium to high stress situations. It is almost always in the same place on my arm and like a mosquito bite-like bump. This has lasted for years and only gets worse when I par take of a lot of caffeine. (The only other things I think may contribute to something like this to is the fact that I have a underactive thyroid???) No clue, just a thought. I just want those out there to know, some of what I have experienced.
|

replied January 23rd, 2012
Did you get an answer for this? I have the same issue
|

replied March 12th, 2009
same thing
I have been plagued by insect bite-like rash on my neck arms and torso for many, many years. They itch like mad.... I asked my doc recently whether my symptoms could be caused by stress/anxiety as they do seem to be aggravated when I am stressed; he said it was unlikely. I have had tests which show I am extremely allergic to house dust mites and pollen. I now take 2 different antihistamines which has alleviated mildly so whats the deal??
|

replied March 23rd, 2009
Laid off and itchy...
I have a full on rash, some parts so raised they are bleeding. I've tried talk/calamine based powder. Very short term comfort. This seems to be isolated to my extremeties, bet is now creeping up the back of my neck.

If anyone has a remedy, HELP!
|

replied May 6th, 2009
Sounds ike what I have
This all sounds like what I am starting to see and feel on my body. I have been going through a very tough time in my life, and after about 6 months, this is showing on my skin. I truly think it is stress related.

I have two on my left leg, one on my back, and one on my neck. It is scary because they pop out of nowhere. It has only been a week, so I am scared it is going to spread. I hope it goes away soon.

Please share more info when you can...
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
I do not know what is on my arms
I have had a weird place on my upper arms and a few other places on my lower arms and legs. I have weird looking bumps, almost like zits, but they are just dots. Also on my upper arms I have it where my skin goes from white, to red, and sometimes it even looks like a bluish purple color on my arms. Where I have these color changes on my arms, I am also very blotchy. My upper arms also feel very very cold, even if I am sweating to death. I do not know what it is, but my mom says to not worry about it. I have had it since I was about five.
|

replied January 5th, 2012
That describes me perfectly I've had them since I was twelve and they're spreading!!! To my fore arms thighs and bellybutton area the funny thing is I thought I was the only one
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
I have a similar problem, an embarassing red, blotchy rash that spreads to the chest and face. It happens under stress, anxiety, etc and heat and is so embarassing. I've found that I'm getting a knack for keeping it under control. Most times I can feel it coming: my skin starts to get sensitive, hot or slightly itchy and my body feels overall kind of tense and anxious.
As soon as I feel these symptoms, I start doing my diaphragmatic breathing. I breath in deep breaths. Holding the breath in is the key part, I hold it in and slightly push down, then slowly I let it out. It works great for me and usually keeps away the embarassing rash or drastically decreases the redness and amount of time it hangs around.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
I just noticed my pop up again this morning. I get red itchy redish white bumps all on my legs and feet. This time it only seems to be a few but the last time this happened I counted over 20 of them. They itch like crazy and for myself I found out its from stress and anxiety. First time they appeared I just got engaged, and now this time I just interviewed for a big promotion so im pretty sure thats what caused them this time. I found if you just leave them alone and try not to itch they will go away in a few days.
|

replied August 18th, 2009
I have been suffering from anxiety symptoms for the last year or so. It started off as a sphenoid sinus infection and then many symptoms, such as chest pains, breathing restriction, rapid pulse, night sweats, headaches, nausea followed. My newest symptom in the last 3 months has been that my skin is very sensitive on touch and flares up. Just putting on a top over my head will make my face all blotchy and red. brushing on to soemthing will make that point of my skin red. It goes away half an hour or so later but and be quite annoying especially when people keep on asking you why your skin is red. Does anyone else have something similar as far as redness and rashes go? At times the skin will also appear raised and bumpy.
|

replied November 6th, 2009
Oh my gosh!! i thought i was going crazy i have had this for bout threeweeks and i am going nuts!! i wearing long slefs and its not easy cause i live in hawaii! they start off as lil red dots and then form into rising red sores. i have them on my left arm and on my legs the back of my shoulders my neck and now on my pelvic area..i thought i ate something but i also have been really stressing on my daughter 16 b-day party!! does this go way?? help me god cause this is not ok!!!and yes the dr has now told me to get a blood test..
|

replied November 29th, 2009
Sensitive skin....read and blotchy for simplest of things
My skin is so sensitive, it has been like this all my life. I have spoke to my dr a couple of times about it but they have not done anything abpout it. Last time I asked he said my skin was just dry...

If i itch my eye it comes up all red if I have just been hi in it. It I take a jumper of I get glawm marks all over me. You could actually write your name in my arm by gently going over it with your finger nail and it comes up in 3d. Anyone know got a diagnosis?
|

replied January 9th, 2010
@ dspencerky - I have a very similar symptom as you although I haven't been able to identify what causes the spot. It looks like a mosquito bite, is always in the same place but appears to come up at random. I've had it on and off for years now. It goes away by itself - if I don't think about (sounds very psychosomatic doesn't it?!).
|

replied February 10th, 2010
Anxiety bumps?
I also have the same type of issue I think. For a long time now I have dealt with these itchy red bumps that come from nowhere. They tend to happen on my neck, face, chest and upper arms. On my upper arms it's always in the same places. It drives me crazy just trying not to scratch them. If I do scratch, they just get more irritated and stay longer. The dermatologist has tested me for strep, allergy tests, and blood tests. We have treated for mites/ scabies with permethrin cream, Eurax cream. I have taken daily allergy pill in the morning and then a prescription strength Benadryl at night. They seem to have gotten worse from just worrying about them. I honestly feel like my next step is to ask for a prescription for anxiety even though I hate to take pills everyday. But I hate this itching worse!
|

replied May 1st, 2010
Ok I just recently have gotten this painful to the touch all over my upper arms its hot to the touch red blotchy with redish dots all over the arms I have had this now for about 6 months and just found out that I have Fibromyalgia and Being sensitive to most drugs pain killers....etc so I face this pain daily NOW I have this rash Not sure what it is but I am so ready for this to go away and not looking like its going to....I am at the point to no return now and feel helpless if there is anyone out there who knows how to help me i am up for anything right about now!?
|

replied May 11th, 2010
I have stress rash too, i have went to doctors about 4 months now, and had all kind of tests taken. I have eaten anti-depresants 2 months now, about week or so ago i thought that cure (amitryptilin) is working, everything was great compeared with first two months. But suddenly, stress goes a little bit up and hives are are back. It usually starts form my forearms and then chest and neck or head. I have problem with doing simplest things like going stors or cleaning my room. Rash usually calms with cold, i cant even take hot shower. If anyone have some idea how they get rid of stress rash i would be super greadful.
|

replied May 11th, 2010
I have stress rash too, i have went to doctors about 4 months now, and had all kind of tests taken. I have eaten anti-depresants 2 months now, about week or so ago i thought that cure (amitryptilin) is working, everything was great compeared with first two months. But suddenly, stress goes a little bit up and hives are are back. It usually starts form my forearms and then chest and neck or head. I have problem with doing simplest things like going stors or cleaning my room. Rash usually calms with cold, i cant even take hot shower. If anyone have some idea how they get rid of stress rash i would be super greadful.
|

replied June 4th, 2010
RED BUMPS ON MY NECK, SHOULDER,CHEST AND NOW ON ARMS TOO
All the stories look similar like mine. Its started 3 weeks ago the red bumps, size of little pill appear on my neck, no itchy, no discomfort, after that all spots become dry. After one week the red bumps appear on my shoulders but size of this ones was a little bit bigger. A couple days ago come up more on my chest and arms. I am worried about bec. i can loose my job. If somebody know how to deal with that please help me!!!
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Had the red blotchy rash on face neck and arms for 10+ years now and have tried every trick in the book.. green make- up the works.. my red spots are in different places every time.. really depressed now. went to a dermatoigist and her answer was to use fake tan hello!! what kinda answer was that!! anybody any other ideas?? thinking bout surgery at this stage.. please help..
|
12 >>