Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Infant Rolling Over - how old when they start to roll?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
How old were your babies when they started rolling over? I ask because Luke is 3 months and 2 weeks and he isn't rolling over yet. Every time that I put him on his belly he just screams and throws a fit. He is awesome at holding his head and can even pull himself up if he holds onto our fingers. Is there something I can do to help him?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile musikmaker
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I think your son is one day older than my daughter. She's not rolling over yet either. She used to absolutely hate tummy time; it's still not her favorite. I would put her on her tummy for a minute or two to start getting her used to it. She has now built up to where she will stay on her tummy for 5-10 minutes at a time. Just keep trying with the tummy time. I lay in the floor with her and talk to her, that seems to help out a lot too.
|

Extremely eHealthy
My son never learned to roll over . He started walking at 8 months and then learned to roll over. It really depends ..... I was worried about the rolling over thing but then he started walking so i was like , hey, walking is a lot harder so forget the rolling .lol
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Lol. I guess I won't worry about it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ava started on her 3 month b-day.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
Supporter
Bella started at about four months, I put her on her back and she rolls onto her belly lifts herself up for a bit and then goes back to her back... over and over. I don't think you have to put them on their bellies (except for tummy time which is a great idea) put him on his back and put a bright object beside him , that's what i did with bella and it took her no time at all to try and get to it.
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Update- Luke is rolling over now. It is annoying now because whenever I put him to bed he does it. he never stays how I put him.

I am so proud of my little man Smile
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yeah, Luke. Brian started at 3 1/2 months. He loves being on his belly.
|

replied January 18th, 2008
Experienced User
also if they dont like lying on their tummies you can roll up a blanket and prop them up on theyre arms on that it takes pressure off of their tummies....=) Daniel started near 3 1/2 months
|

replied February 10th, 2008
my daughter is 3 and half months and she call roll fr her belly to her side pretty well but cant quite get all the way..
maybe soon!
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
my friend's baby was 4mo when she first did. Only because she had nowhere for 'tummy time'. But since then, she's flew through her milestones.
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2008
my little guy's gettin there... he's 7 weeks old and he'll roll from his tummy to his side, but i was rolling over the day i came home from the hospital, it all depends on the baby!
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2008
Community Volunteer
I think the norm is 4 months. If your baby does it earlier...watch out...maybe he'll be walking and running around sooner lol. I had one like that and she's very athletic. She would never sit though. It wasn't because she couldn't it was because she was too busy getting places. One other of my daughters was sitting a t 5 months. It all depends on the baby. The guidelines are only there because that's the average expectancy.

If you really worried that there is a problem and it's been a few months after your baby should have achieved a milestone, then you should call your doctor.
|

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
3 months is what my dr said but my son diddnt start doing that till 4 months (age he is now). but he could flip himself to his side since he was born and that scared me lol.
|

replied February 24th, 2011
talented...?
My daughter is 3 weeks (21 days) old and she already knows how to crawl. Not very fast, but we already have to start making sure she doesn't hurt herself. Should I contact Guinness Book of Records? PS. Does that make me a good mother?
|

replied March 20th, 2011
Mine start to role 3 month but my friends son older 2 weeks don't role at all he's 9 now he went to sitting positions straight . babies are very different, he will start when he is ready. don't stress your self.
|
Quick Reply