Medical Questions > Mens Health > Sexual Health - Men Forum

Early Morning Erections

Must Read
Talking openly about the penis is a very personal matter. Learn basic penis anatomy to discuss penile disorders accurately with your doctor....
Penis symptoms that interfere with sexual activity or urination could be serious. Learn the signs and symptoms of penis problems that require a doctor's help....
How do urologists evaluate and diagnose painful penis? A penis disorder is a medical problem. Learn more about possible diagnoses for penis disorders now....
Why do some men have erections every morning?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper littlehunybunny
|

replied April 19th, 2004
Because they dream about naughty things
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Um.. Sorry But No..
In your sleep.. Erectile tissue hardens. In females, their clitoris is erect in their sleep, and men, their penis. It has nothign to do with dreams. I think its something to do with rem sleep.
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks
Thanks for the reply, I wasn't going to reply to the naughty dreams one, because I know that was just lame. Its interesting. Not all men have it, but my bf every morning solutes me. Lol I find it pretty cute! Lol
|

replied April 22nd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
Not every woman's clitoris is "erect" during sleep. Maybe some, but I will tell you what, I have read so many people saying that when a woman gets turned on their clitoris gets hard. Well, not mine! And I have talked to a couple of my friends about this and theirs doesn't either. So, maybe some do, but definately not all!
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
I was kidding. Rolling Eyes
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
Extremely eHealthy
I know you were! :d
|

replied May 13th, 2004
Experienced User
Sleep
Actually, I agree with fubajuba. I actually heard this question answered by some doctors. When one sleeps, one goes through cycles or levels of sleep and rem. When one awakens, depending upon what cycle he is in, the particular stage of rem causes this. I forget the details or why this happens, but I know this to be true, according to the doctor at least.
|

replied May 14th, 2004
Experienced User
I Agree
Southcoach - I heard the same thing. In fact I think we even discussed it in my sex ed class in high school way back when. For men, they get an erection, for women they become wet. I found a website that says "these spontaneous woodies in the wee hours are caused by specific neuroreflexes that are stimulated during rem sleep." so there ya go Smile
|

replied June 14th, 2004
I wake up with an erection every morning. I cannot remember the last time I woke up without one. I have no idea why this happens, but I just thought id put in my word.
|

replied September 15th, 2004
It Is Very Important For Your Health.
If you wouldn't have erections during sleep or in the morning
you would be in trouble in about 20 years or so.
The erections are very important in maintaining the body
oxigenation at the normal levels.
|

replied January 6th, 2006
Morning Erections
Ok - there are a number of reasons for nocturnal tumescence (morning erection)
1) erections are mostly controlled by the autonomic nervous system
the parasympathetic part functions during relaxed states. Erections actually occur when men are in relaxed states and early morning is simply one of the most relaxed states. This is commonly associated with rem sleep patterns
2) hormone fluctuation - increased testerone levels early morning according to sleep patterns and metabolic state
3) erotic stimulation (dreams)
4) bladder pressure upon the prostate gland causing glandular stimulation (but not necessarily sexual stimulation)also the congestion caused by the full bladder can decrease the outflow of blood from the penis.
Hope this answers your queries
h
|

replied January 6th, 2006
Morning erections are caused by hormone spikes, and
testosterone in particular.

Regards,

joe
|

replied January 7th, 2006
Well, i've noticed that when I have one, its raging, and I always have to pee. Somewhere in the way back of my mind I thought these might be linked, as when you've got wood, you can't pee (readily), so your body induces the erection to prevent that while you're sleeping.

This is of course stupid, but has a logical ring to it. However, even at 29 I have still not figured out how to quickly lose the erection to take the morning wee. If you've seen 40yo virgin, you understand my mornings (minus the creepiness and the working out).

In general, I don't occupy my mind with how to lose erections. Even when they're unwanted. Something about that seems wrong.

Waiting for the clothes to dry. Enough blabbering.
|

replied January 23rd, 2006
Hey
I used to get them every day, but as of recent I haven't been getting them at all or even getting horny at all. Which really sucks considering im seeing someone who id like to sleep with (im a 25 year old virgin) but last time we fooled around I was arroused for a bit beforehand but nothing during, which dissapointed me. Anyone have any thoughts for me? Thank you in advance.
|

replied October 24th, 2012
Raise your testosterone level by eating more protein, zinc and potassium in other word meats, parleys and bananas.
|

replied August 11th, 2007
Re: Hey
PianoMan wrote:
I used to get them every day, but as of recent I haven't been getting them at all or even getting horny at all. Which really sucks considering im seeing someone who id like to sleep with (im a 25 year old virgin) but last time we fooled around I was arroused for a bit beforehand but nothing during, which dissapointed me. Anyone have any thoughts for me? Thank you in advance.

Maybe your gay and your not sexually attracted to women, or perhaps you have erectile difficulties. Are you a smoker because that would affect your stimulation down there.

PS. "WHAT DID THE BIRD SAY?!?!?!?!"
- Captain Jack Sparrow
|

replied August 11th, 2007
yeah.. I'm pretty sure I'm not gay (I live with my girlfriend) and I don't see what that has to do with morning erections anyway... i do smoke pot so maybe that's effecting it.. but i have my own set of ideas of why it's happening
|

replied June 19th, 2009
not gay
Have your testosterone level checked.
|

replied April 18th, 2013
Night-time erections
You realise how often you get an erection every night when you are locked into a celibacy device of some kind, which prevents erections. It hurts everytime, about 4 or 5 times a night and you wake up as your penis presses against the hard plastic or metal cage and pulls on your balls as you stretch. Internal optional spikes make it unbearable, mine are only fitted for special occassions and outings.
|
Quick Reply