Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

I Can't Get This White Tongue Bacteria to Go Away!! (Page 1)

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/1017/de ntkf8.jpg

Around the back of the tongue is where it gets really white, that pic probably doesn't show it enough. This has caused me bad breath for years and I don't think it has ever gone away. I brush my tongue, floss, use a tongue scraper, and nothing helps. I chew gum and the constant flow of saliva keeps it from reeking I guess.

What exactally is this white bacteria that won't go away? Maybe a super strong mouthwash will eliminate the problem? Please help! Thanks!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper slmxxxyz
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
im not sure that it is bacteria--however-----use a salt water rinse and see what happens:)
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Tongue Scraper
Depending on how you have used your tongue scraper, you may have pushed much of the anaerobic bacteria to the back of your mouth.

If that is the case, I would suggest that you see your dentist/doctor soon. They will probably be able to give you some tablets that will help increase the oxygen level in your mouth or solution to flush out those nasty bacteria.
|

replied January 19th, 2008
white coating on tongue -Candida
White coating on your tongue may be Candida. It's yeast and very hard to get rid of.
|

replied January 20th, 2008
I have something similar to that. I don't know how to get rid of it.
|

i just posted this in another thread. i think this is pretty much directed to your problem.

"Number 1 Cause of Bad Breath- Poor Oral Hygiene
Wednesday, April 11th, 2007 by FreshBreath

The number one cause of bad breath is poor oral hygiene. When the mouth (gums, teeth, tongue and such) is not taken care of, it will allow bacteria to grow rapidly in the mouth, in crevices in the tongue, usually on the back of the tongue, as well as between the teeth and around the gum line. As the bacteria grows, it produces waste products that have an odor similar to sulfur (an odor similar to rotten eggs). As sulfides is released into the mouth. your breath stinks.

Essentially, bacteria growing in your mouth are what cause bad breath. Usually they will appear as a white coating on the back of your tongue. The bacteria are living in that coating and one way to remove them, and eliminate one cause of bad breath is to use a spoon, turned upside down, and scrape the bacteria away. Some try to use their toothbrush to brush away this white coating, but scarping is the most effective method. But do take note that even with a vigilante scraping program, bacteria will still grow in other parts of your mouth, above and below the gum line.

Brushing and flossing will remove the majority of bacteria but not all the bacteria. You can killed the bacteria by other means, such as mouthwash or rinsing with baking soda. Bad breath can also be associated with certain gastrointestinal diseases so do check with your dentist and doctor if you are unsure."

hope this helps Smile
|

Candida
White coating on tongue is the bacteria/fungus that accumulates Some doctors will test for Candida, but some won't. It's a systemic yeast/fungus problem that can affect the whole body. Anti-fungul drugs like Diflucan work, as well as the Candida diet( which is hard to stay on). Try a Google search on Candida and you will see that white coating is one symptom
|

replied January 9th, 2009
This will help you
Im not a doctor. Its either yeast or bacteria. Mine went away with the antibiotic erythromiacin. I took it about ten days every 8 hrs. My tongue is now clear and clean. I always brushed, flossed, and scraped. People think because you stink you have poor hygeine. NOT TRUE. There are imbalances in either bacteria or yeast that can also be the culprit. Talk to the doctors or dentists until someone listens to you. I will take a picture of my
tongue to prove I am not insane. It returns I will have proof of what it should look like. I no longer have a nasty taste in my mouth when I wake up. Theres no nasty taste in the back of my throat I cant reach. I pray to God it doesnt return. I am not sure which doctor would specialize in this.
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
answer me asap please!!
i have the same problem everytime i wake up i felt a nasty tastes back of my tongue and i want u to help because i think i have the same problem u have.
|

replied April 1st, 2013
I have the same problem...I've been suffering for years...please tell me that what is antibiotic erythromiacin...is it a tablet or what and where can I find that...please tel me
|

replied March 26th, 2009
Routinely
Brush teeth well. Then brush tongue far enough back to gag - ignore the gag and keep brushing. Rinse toothbrush in hot water.

Then floss, to get the plaque that brushing left behind.

Then GARGLE for a full 30 seconds, with Listerine mouthwash. Real, head-thrown-back gargling. Before spitting, swish the Listerine through your teeth for another 30 seconds.

You're good to go for the entire day.

Repeat at night.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
hellooo
i need some help please ...im having this heavy bad breath and my doctor said its from bacteria ......im getting so tired taking medicine every day and nothing changed .....PLEASE WHAT I DOOOOOO ....I FEEL VERY SICK I CAN'T EAT ......
|

replied November 2nd, 2012
Bad breath
Ask your doctor for a breath test check of "helicobacter pylori" and analysis by lab. If you have, certainly this bacteria causes bad breath.
Hope this help.
L.
|

replied January 6th, 2013
ACV
Has anyone tried drinking organic apple cider vinegar in water daily for their bad breath problems?? Be sure to brush after using the vinegar. Google ACV uses. There are many health benefits from using ACV.
|

replied January 6th, 2013
ACV
Has anyone tried drinking organic apple cider vinegar in water daily for their bad breath problems?? Be sure to brush after using the vinegar. Google ACV uses. There are many health benefits from using ACV.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
I work at a dental office and I am going to school to get my nursing degree. You have to go to an Oral surgeon to have them test to see what type of bacteria may be causing the issue. It may be caused by a throat cancer from smoking, a perio disease from poor hygene, oral sex w/someone unclean or with an std, or may be a common bacteria that lives in the mouth from the foods you eat that has taken a stronger foothold and overpopulated. There is multiple reason it can happen and you need to find out so they can give you the correct medicine. An oral surgeon is the best place to go to get the correct medicine.
|

replied June 5th, 2009
Also, I forgot to mention sometimes it can be caused by medications you are taking that off balance the bacteria in your mouth.
|

replied August 4th, 2009
tongue
it's probably just some bacteria. What helped me clean my tongue of this white/yellow stuff was getting a rubber band and scraping my tongue real hard Smile it does not sound to pleasent but it did the trick for me
|

replied January 10th, 2010
white stuff
i have white stuff on my tongue and i used a scraper. it doesn't remove it! what does that mean?
|

User Profile
replied January 21st, 2010
i've had this problem all my life. i used to use a scraper, but it didnt really work. i basically scrub my tongue with my toothbrush with hot water and toothpaste for a full minute(at least)or until it bleeds. i avoid toothpaste that is supposed to whiten your teeth just as an added measure to insure there is no tongue whiteness. after i scrape, i use listerine for at least 30 seconds, full gargle and swish. all this until my tongue feels like its going to fall off, but it helps. no pain no gain
|

replied February 20th, 2010
@kruhlz
What you're doing is just dangerous, do you know that? Mouthwashes are not magic potions, they're chemicals. Using chemicals on open lessions of which you've created by brushing/scrubbing too hard is just not a smart thing to do.
|

replied May 12th, 2010
@ kruhlz
this is near enough the same routine ive been doing for years, but im tired of it now. The white coat always grows back. I think the problem is from within, so im going to change my diet by avoiding sugar and gluten, and im also going to eat probiotic yogurt regularly. Il let you know if this works out.
|

replied May 13th, 2010
Chill
Relax, the bacteria you are seeing on the back of your tongue is absolutely normal. EVERYONE has it, some just more than others. Some have it so bad that they get pieces dislodged and stuck in crevices of thier tonsils called tonsilloliths. Seen here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith As long as you clean your tongue everyday brush twice and floss once your bad breath will subside.
|

replied June 7th, 2010
This bacteria which doesn't like oxygen
I've also had this for some time and I read from some e-book on the net to use oxygenated toothpaste as oxygen kills this bacteria that reproduces anaerobically. I'm using Colgate Oxygen from some time and it definately keeps my tongue pinkier
Ben
|

replied June 17th, 2010
White tongue fix process
Here are some techniques you can use to rid your mouth of a white/brown tongue and any bad tastes you constantly get: 1. Drink more water 2. Switch from your alcohol-based mouthwash (Listerine) to an alcohol-free brand (Crest Pro-Health) 3. Get a tongue scraper ($3 at CVS) 4. Add more acidic fruits to your diet 5. Chew minty gums (sugarfree) 6. If things persist, see your doctor since this might be a digestive problem.
|
12 >>