Medical Questions > Womens Health > Hysterectomy Forum

painful periods - hysterectomy

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I've been seeing my gyno, who has a great rep, for two years. I had very heavy periods w/ lots of pain. She found a heavy lining and some other problems (fibroids?) so I had an Endometrial Ablation and D&C.

After about six months or a year the pain started coming back but the bleeding didn't. I have the pain on one side of my lower abdomen and it is really bad during my period.

I've had to take Darvocet. My dr doesn't think taking narcotics every month is a good long term strategy and I see her point.

She didn't see endo when she did the ablation. She thinks that at this point, my best option to get rid of the pain is probably a hyster since I've been dealing with the pain for two years and the ablation didn't get rid of it.

I don't want to get major surgery unless it is absolutely necessary though. It is hard to make the decision to have such major surgery when the only real symptom is "pain" even when the pain is severe.

Anyone else go through these feelings?

I almost feel "guilty" putting myself at risk if it is not strictly necessary. Also, I work out 4 times a week to stay in shape and don't want to be out of circulation for over a month!
Did you find this post helpful?
|