Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Too long for Plan B? How Long Do Sperm Live?

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I had sex on Nov 17, and I stopped BCP because PP was closed and I couldn't get my new pack. I think I ovulated on like Thursday night (change in discharge that I haven't had since before I started BCP). I didn't know Plan B would work up to 5 days later so I didn't think about taking it until now, but it is 8 days later... is it too late??

And how many days do sperm live?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
- what type of pill were you on?
- when did you stop taking it?

Sperm can live in the vagina for 5 days or so. Plan B will work the best within 3 days, but it still works within 5 days. 8 days is, I think, too late.
|

I was on Levora, I took my last active pill on November 10, went for a week of placebo pills, and I was supposed to start a new pack on November 17 but I forgot to pick it up and that's the night I had unprotected sex. And then PP was closed the next day when I went to pick it up.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Oh, well then you could be pregnant. The chances are fairly low because you hadn't ovulated the previous month. You really won't know if you ovulated after that since stopping the birth control will make things all messed up. Either way, I'd just wait for about two or three weeks after you had sex and then take a test.

Good luck!
|

If I go to planned parenthood tomorrow, is it too early to get a pregnancy test then? It would be 10 days after sex. Is there anything else I can do besides wait? I'm stressing out.

How long does it take to ovulate after stopping BCP? I really think it only took me a week, but that was after a week of placebo pills.
|

Especially eHealthy
You need to wait a minimum of 14 days after sex to test. You can only wait.

You could ovulate a day after stopping or a year later! Every woman is different. My mom ovulated the month she stopped, and whee I have a brother!
|

replied November 26th, 2007
But doesn't it take time for the FSH to tell the ovary to build up a follicle before it can ovulate? I can't imagine that happening in a day.

Also - should I start my BCP again or should I wait to see if I have a normal period? I don't know when a normal period will happen b/c I've been on BCP since June. And the pills could totally screw with my period anyway and make me think I'm pregnant. So should I just start them up again anyway and get a pregnancy test after 14 days?
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
If it couldn't happen in a day, then women wouldn't get pregnant from missing two pills. So it definitely happens.

I'd wait until you get a real period to be honest because right now, you could be pregnant. Birth control pills aren't necessarily harmful to the embryo, but you shouldn't take them when you're pregnant! Then again I suppose that depends on what you'll do if you are indeed pregnant.

I would abstain from vaginal sex for four more days. You said you were 10 days out from the act of unprotected sex. So wait four more days without vagina sex and then test.
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
watergirl wrote:
But doesn't it take time for the FSH to tell the ovary to build up a follicle before it can ovulate? I can't imagine that happening in a day.

Yes, but who knows what your FSH levels are when you're on the pill? They could be just a day away from ovulation that whole time. The pill levels them, it doesn't make them go away altogether. Plus, the sudden change from no more estrogen or progesterone being taken could do all sorts of crazy things.
|

replied November 28th, 2007
Experienced User
If you havn't been taking the bc then you should probably wait to start again until your next period. But use another form of protection. (also for the first 7 days of you bc) but if you have been taking it continue until you have a missed period. You could be pregnant but maybe not. But if you havn't been taking it this whole time and not using protection then yeah there's a good chance. If it was only that one day then maybe. Just wait it out you probably don't have long until your period. And don't stress it's most likely no!
|

replied November 5th, 2008
birth control
what is i had sex then injected the sperm killer can i be pregnant
|

User Profile
replied November 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: birth control
titi_tochis wrote:
what is i had sex then injected the sperm killer can i be pregnant

So you had unprotected sex then used the spermacides?

Did you follow the directions to the spermacides? I think you are supposed to apply them before sex in order for them to be effective.

Yes, pregnancy is a possibility.
|