Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cold, Flu and Viral Infections Forum

Wheezing On And Off, Is This Pneumonia

Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....
I have had wheezing in my chest for the last 4 days and I am not sure what it is. I had a doctor listen to my lungs and she said I probably had pneumonia because she could hear the wheezing. Due to Medical Insurance guidelines I had to go to my PCP a couple of hours to get a referral for a chest x-ray but when he listened to my lungs he said I sounded clear which I agree with. At that moment I was not wheezing. Thus, he said I was fine. Later that day the wheezing in my chest returned and has been on and off for the last couple of days. FYI, my daughter was in the hospital all last week with Pneumonia and Mono at the same time so I would not be surprised if I picked up her bug. I don't want to go on an Antibiotic unless I am sure what the noise in my chest is. Perhaps it is just mucus that keep accumulating and I just need to wait it out for it to clear up? I am 42 years old.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 10th, 2008
Supporter
Have you been tested for asthma or identified possible allergies via a skin test? You'll want a diagnosis before you start any treatment!
|

replied March 2nd, 2008
Experienced User
wheezin
hello i will tell you my story but to help you not scare you.. i am a 38 year old female who was misdiagnosed with bronchitis last year. instead i had a viral infection that invaded and diseased my whole heart. i had to have all of my heart valves replaced. as a result i suffer from heart failure and cardiomyopathy. if the doctor did not assume i had bronchitis and the viral infection was treated at the same time as the so called bronchitis i probably would not have all these problems. just be sure your doctor checks your heart too. you could just have pneumonia or a cough but do not let it linger any longer especially if you are not feeling better. rule out all illness until they find what is making you wheeze.redsoxgirl
|

User Profile
replied March 4th, 2008
Active User, very eHealthy
Agreed. The longer you wait, the more time an infection has to develop into something more serious.
|