Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menopause Forum

stiff feet and hands - signs of menopause?? (Page 1)

Must Read
What is menopause? Peri menopause? How long does menopause last? Get the facts on menopause, "the big change", here. ...
Symptoms of menopause and perimenopause affect women in different ways. What common signs and early symptoms of menopause can alert you of "the change"?...
Consult your doctor as your body makes the perimenopause transition. But how do doctors confirm the beginning of menopause? Learn more here....
I have not had a period in 9mths and have all the symptoms, hot flashes, weight gain and sweats. I take many vitamins that don't seem to be helping. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced stiff feet and hands.?? When I wake up in the morning iI feel like I am walking on boards.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper KimmerZ_70
|

replied September 1st, 2008
stiff feet and hands
I am also going through the same thing for the last year. I can barely walk in the morning with my toes feeling like they are being retracted towards the soles of my feet. Also, the outer sides of my feet burn during the day. I came to this website to see if these are menopausal symptoms and whether anyone knows of anything to help the condition.
|

replied January 16th, 2012
Menopause is a part of every woman’s life. It is a stage when the menstrual period stops permanently and there are lot of hormonal changes. Menopause occurs between 45 and 55 years of age. It is not an illness but a natural biological process. The yogic exercises which help in managing the menopause symptoms are Full Butterfly (Poorna Titliasana), Churning the Mill (Chakkichalanasana), Rowing the Boat (Naukasanchalanasana), Inverted Pose (Vipareeta Karani Asana), Psychic Network Purificarion (Nadi Shodhana Pranayama) and Psychic Sleep (Yoga Nidra).

Rishi,
Yoga Teacher,
Divine Wellness,
Delivering yoga at your home.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
Not a sign of menopause
Weight gain is NOT a sign of menopause. It is a sign of eating too much and exercising too little. Examine your diet and lifestyle. Your sore feet could be due to excess weight.

I suggest you also take a look at your shoes because they may pinch and the soles may be too hard. Many women are wearing shoes which are too small. Try on shoes at the end of the day and choose shoes that fit your larger foot.

I haven't had my period in over a year and haven't gained an ounce because I don't overeat and I walk a couple of miles a day with my dog. He loves it and I get the benefits. I also take dance.
|

replied May 31st, 2011
Like you, I am fully menopausal yet have not gained an ounce because I eat appropriately and exercise. HOWEVER, I have developed the same stiff and sore feet problem (as well as other joints) that so many others describe, especially when I first get up in the morning or after other periods of extented inactivity (like a long meeting). I have never had sore feet before menopause. I have always worn comfortable athletic type shoes of appropriate length and have quite slender feet so pinching is never a problem. Therefore, I would not be so quick to chalk up someone's sore foot problem to weight gain or tight shoes. (I'm 5'3.5" and weigh about 112 lbs yet I now get very stiff and sore feet.) The weight gain may be a result of sore feet rather than a cause. (Though I agree that many if not most people are not nearly as active as they should be.)
|

replied September 30th, 2011
There are very few perfect specimens like you. You must combine the perfect intake of calories, and the perfect balance of exercise. I am 5'0, 57, and up until last year weighed around 110. I have not had a period in 11 months, gained 12 pounds, have migraine headaches, and when I wake up feel like a truck has run over me. Have been to several different doctors, and they basically said I am fine, and that it is "the stage of life", and to exercise more, and watch diet. I currently run 2 miles per day, and due Yoga and strength training 3 days per week. I eat a diet high in vegetables, fruits, lean meats/fish, and also try to incorporate grains for fiber.
Geez...maybe I need to "dance", and cutback to 1000 calories a day. I hope when your current routine no longer works someone provides you with such helpful advise. Oh, I forgot, perhaps it is my shoes that prevent me from losing weight and feeling sore every morning!
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Stiff hands and feet in the morning/menopause
I have all the same symptoms, stiff hands and feet, esp first thing in the morning.... and all my bloodwork checks out fine... but the one thing my Doc said in passing was..you are really dry, dehydrated !!! After looking into this on the web, I then discovered that this is probably the cause. I have started drinking lots more water ( I am not a big drinker), but have found my joints are not as bad, and my hands are much better !!! Who would have thought....water !! try drinking a whole lot more, several bottles a day and see what helps..... it is really helping me, with all this morning stiffness and foot soreness.....and I am 51. menopausal and of normal height , weight etc...this all just came on randomly, out of the blue.....
|

replied June 2nd, 2012
i'm 54 and have been in menopause for one full year. i started bio-identical hormone therapy about 15 months ago and am continuing to take it. i, too, suffer from the stiff hands and feet and tingling numb hands at night from time to time. previously to beginning my hormone therapy, numb hands were a nightly occurrence for me for weeks, along with hot flashes. so, lots of sleepless nights and long days of being very tired due to lack of restful sleep. the therapy had taken care of 95% of my hot flashes and the numbness in my hands is much lower now (almost non-existent) but the achy feet never went away. i've tried the over the counter anti-inflammatories but with no success. i'll try drinking more water than i already do. not enjoying this time of my life at all. it doesn't help that i'm married to a man that isn't empathatic or understanding to the menopausal moods and blues.
|
Users who thank over50forever30 for this post: daldous 

replied May 17th, 2014
Have you found anything that gives you relief? I am still looking..and so frustrated with achy hands and feet every day I could scream!(and do cry) Have you found any evidence/research of this connected to menopause? I wonder if any doctors have weighed in on this forum.
|

replied January 31st, 2012
Menopause does affect your weight and shape
your reply is not well researched. I am 51, in superb athletic shape, I am a marathoner and tri-athlete, exercise daily at high intensity, eat clean for years take omega 3 and vit D and perfect health. I am at perfect weight of 138 lbs for my 5'7 height and 20% bodyfat. 1 year after my periods stopped I developped unexplained weight gain in the middle, terrible sore feet and hands and joint pains, as well as stiff and shortening muscles...all due to Menopause and the low Progesterone/estrogen...the patch is helping some but I can tell you I feel slow and old and have had to cut back on workouts, have to eat way less and, well, I feel and am starting to look old...so there, you might have escaped this symptom but I of all people NEVER thought it would happen to me!
|
Users who thank neeters for this post: Julie55 

replied May 25th, 2013
I totally feel less mad at my situation after reading your post. I have been active and fit my whole life (dancing, ice skating, constantly walking rescue dogs etc) and have been vegetarian since highschool. Menopause snuck up on me and just sandbagged my feeling of vitality! Joint pain (referred to as "phantom" elsewhere )terrified me I was getting MS or Rheum Arthritis and the Dizzy/lightheaded spells I have seen reported in forums I have been getting and of course I was convinced is a brain tumor. As you have been super athletic I know you can relate to the complete astonishment that you can go one year feeling like you are about 30 and next you feel like 70. Its insane!! My only reaction is to be stubborn and fight back. I got wierd bloating in my abdomen area and freaked out! I was getting middle section dreaded gain I have seen spoken of as "meno-belly" so I cut back diet even more and started sit ups and weight bearing home exercises. Happily I got rid of it but WOW it just popped up! So just wanted to express that I really related to your post. I too NEVER thought I would have all this insanity upon me. I thought all that happens is you stop your period. HA! But women have had a hard time admitting to the M word. Not even Oprah has been able to de-shadow the topic. Women would rather admit to pretty much anything but being...scienttifically unavoidably..older. Just say NO!
|

replied June 9th, 2013
I have always been active too (ridden horses all my life), but since the menopause has been creeping up on me my joints and muscles have been starting to hurt. I initially just put it down to getting old or rheumatism but I have now read on several forums women with similar pains and it does seem to make sense as the reduction in hormones affects the body.
|

replied May 17th, 2014
Can you tell me if a doctor you saw confirmed these symptoms connected to menopause..I am in search of answers too and so miserable with the pain and discomfort..I live in such a rural area that some responses I get are ridiculous...The pain is REAL and affects quality of life...
|

replied October 11th, 2012
sore joints and weight gain
RunsWithWolves, your response is inaccurate. Weight gain is a sign of menopause, as is joint soreness. Please don't base everyone's experience on what you're going through; we're all different. I came on here because I too am waking with stiff ankles. I've exercised my entire adulthood and still do. I've delivered four children, three with no meds at all, so I'm not a baby.
Dr. Christianne Northrup calls the weight menopausal women get around the waste an "estrogen belt." It's well documented. Please research before offering such flippant advice.
|

replied August 1st, 2009
...I forgot to answer your stiff hands issue... You may have carpal tunnel or a touch of arthritis. Be careful of taking "many vitamins". Too many can also cause problems.

Do some stretches for your hands each morning, try a little BenGay. My hands get stiff because I paint and sculpt. Sometimes I must wear a wrist brace if I get hints of carpal tunnel. Most women are spending far too much time online and not enough time moving their bodies - find a routine that works for you and stick to it.
|

Apparently, you don't believe hormonal changes have anything to do with any menopausal symptoms, is that correct? You have a cheesy answer for everything.
I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands, which came about during my last two pregnancies. Joints are very much affected by hormones. A little BenGay? Are you serious?
|

replied August 14th, 2009
Stiff Hands & Feet
I am having stiff hands and feet, too. This has nothing to do with weight gain or carpal tunnel. I don't know if it has anything to do with menopause, but I am going through menopause and stiff hands and feet, too. If I am on my feet for a while, it is fine, but if I sit for a while and then get up, it's worse. What else can cause this?
|

User Profile
replied August 14th, 2009
Supporter
Do you exercise? Yoga is great for stiff joints...There are a lot of things that go on with the body during menopause. Some women have a more difficult time than others. Usually a lack of exercise will cause stiffness..Eat a healthy diet to control any weight gain.
|

replied August 15th, 2009
Other reasons for stiff hands and feet
It doesn't feel like my joints that are stiff - it feels like the muscles. I started exercising this summer. After about 15 minutes on the elyptical machine, my feet bother me and start to feel numb and inflexible. My hands get tired after a few minutes of doing something like writing.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
Stiffness and menopause
I also have stiffness in my hands, lower legs and feet since I had a hysterectomy last winter. And, the sides of my feet ache. It's not the joints that ache. Sounds like the same symptoms. I walk or bike 4 or 5 times a week, but that hasn't helped. I take Estroven, an herb supplement. Hasn't helped.
It's nice to know I'm not the only one!
|

replied November 8th, 2009
Stiff hands and feet
Runswithwolves, your reply is arrogant and self righteous. You may be fortunate not to be experiencing any symptoms but please don't assume that others who are, are over eating and under exercising. I am otherwise fit and healthy with a very healthy lifestyle but I too am suffering from stiff hands and feet since undergoing a total hysterectomy in May this year!
|
Users who thank Paleface for this post: Nunny 

Paleface, I replied the same way to RunswithWolves. Just because she hasn't experienced it, she claims there's something wrong with the rest of us. Then on a later post, she says she has carpal tunnel problems. Well, wrists are joints!

The following is from WomentoWomen, a website: Many women first report joint pain when they are in perimenopause or approaching menopause. The hormone shifts that occur during this transition, especially fluctuating estrogen levels, can impact how our joints feel. Because estrogen normally has an anti-inflammatory effect in the body, falling estrogen levels also exacerbate the symptoms of chronic inflammation.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Hi - I had a hysterectomy about 6 months ago. A couple of months later, I started noticing how stiff I'd gotten - I work at a desk all day and it had gotten to where every time I stood up I felt like I was "unrolling" myself. Terrible aches all over. Plus suddenly very serious carpal-tunnel like symptoms, keeping me awake at night with extreme burning and tingling. I was pretty depressed - afraid that the aching was because I was getting "old" (at 4Cool. I went to an orthopedic surgeon for a pre-existing issue with my shoulder (tendonitis) and as part of my therapy he gave me a one-month prescription for an anti-inflammatory. I don't know if it was coincidence or what, but the very severe aching has been gone ever since (months now). It did nothing for the carpal tunnel, but that also went away on its own a couple of months ago. (While I was suffering with the carpal tunnel, the VERY best thing I did was get those hand braces to sleep in - huge help.)

I imagine all this is hormone related (I'm not taking any hormone replacement), and just pleased that it all seems to have passed with time.
|

replied January 4th, 2010
I cant stand it when you get people like runswithwolves making stupid comments like that. As if a person wouldnt know if they were over weight. women often get online to see if other women are experiencing the same symptoms with menapause as i have done. i have found a lot of people with stiff hands and feet on waking on here. there so many symtoms of menapause i believe weight gain is one of them. i have not changed my diet at all and do the same amount of excersize as always but i have put on weight. but i am not moaning about that it the other horrible symptoms of menapause. sore feet stiff hands, crawling skin, mood swings. hot flushes, bad vision, memory loss, unmotivated. get off your high horse runs withwolves you annoy me.
|

replied January 31st, 2010
stiff hands and feet
I have stiff hands and feet myself. I am 41. I am overweight and walk 60 minutes 4x a week and go to Curves 2x a week. I am not in menopause. I did think the stiffness in my feet was due to the excess weight but I am not experiencing the stiffness in my hands too. I came to this site to find some answers too. I seem to be an exception since I'm not in menopause yet. I have an IUD(3 years now) butthese symptoms with my hands just started in the last few weeks. Does anyone have any other theories?
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
I am pre- menopausal too... hands stiff & sore & hard to walk on feet in the am.(shoes are a good fit- usually barefooted inside the home, so a lot of variety!) Balls of feet hot & burning as well. Restless legs drive me nuts! All Seem to be worse when hot flushes increase. Taking arthritus supplements; go to chiropractor reg; prob not exercising enough- no more , no less than usual. Get lots of UTI's now too- no matter how careful I am. Somehow it does help to hear others are going thru the same thing.
...I too was a bit taken back by ranwiththewolves remarks- unnecessarily arrogant. I am not overweight- never have been- & take herbal supplements,good-or no- shoes; etc.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
Stiff hands and feet
My post should have said I now have stiff hands as well. I spoke to my chiropractor on Monday and she told me to up my fish oil intake to 2000 mg a day. I was taking 1000mg a day. She also told me to exercise my hands and feet during the day. Use a golf ball on the floor and roll back and fourth under my feet. She said it's the cold as well as the need for more fish oil. We shall see.
It is good to know others have the same issues as well.
|

replied December 16th, 2011
so she thinks its the cold weather hmm fish oil sup makes sense must I add lots of water too, dehydration comes along with those hot flashes so we sweat and lose all that water ... hopefully problem solved =)
|

replied December 16th, 2011
so she thinks its the cold weather hmm fish oil sup makes sense must I add lots of water too, dehydration comes along with those hot flashes so we sweat and lose all that water ... hopefully problem solved =)
|

replied July 14th, 2012
Menopause with sore hands and feet
My Chiropractor advised the same for me but added to drink lots ands lots of water. This has help greatly. I find what I call the episode (Sore feet and hands) hurt more on my 17 - 20th day after the begining of my period, even the dribble ones. I also have most of my hot flashes and lack of sleep more during that time frame. I just increase the fans on my face and many cold rags behind the neck, this helps with the combination of the fish oils, water and rolling the ball under the feet.
|

replied May 17th, 2014
Let me know who that works for you and how long you are doing it...It is very depressing to have hands and feet ache all day and after reading several posts now wonder if it could be connected to menopause...I have tried acupuncture, chiropractic care, and monthly massages...I also have changed my nutrition and drink a nurti-blast shake every day. It is so frustrating to not have any relief..I too have thought do I have just arthritis , or some other autoimmune disorder..
|

replied April 7th, 2010
I also have feet problems. They ache all day long and even when I am trying to sleep. I am going through menopuase and believe this is the reason why. MY left hand experiences stiffness also at times, but the feet are the worst.
|

replied April 12th, 2010
i dont think runswithwolves said anything stupid or untrue for that matter. In fact the most factual statement was that menopause does not cause weight gain. However, weight gain is not a matter of eating to much and excercising too little...that was an incorrect statement. dis-eases with thyroid and other organs can lead to weight gain even without an increase in caloric intake. we all need to stop being insulted when the notion of being overweight is metnioned. we all know that overweight individuals represent nearly a third of the u.s population...last I checked, that was considered on the lines of "epidemic"! We also know that excess weight directly impacts the bodies organs so in these days and times it is perfectly logical to consider weight gain the culprit behind numerous dis-eases/disorders.
|

replied September 3rd, 2011
weight gain, hands, and feet.
As much as we do know that excess weight causes problems with the rest of your body, it is totally untrue to say that menopause does not bring on weight gain. It indeed does! In fact, it is a common side effect of perimenpause...even in the slimmest of women. But it is also true that is can be managed with exercise, healthy eating and finding a program of supplements that helps to balance your female system. I too have experienced the aching feet and hands, especially in the morning. It is disturbing and troubling to healthy women. I recommend talking honestly with your OB, and researching programs that can help. One possibility is Women to women. you can find them on the internet
|

True, dgpt, but this is a menopause forum and those of us just starting to feel these symptoms are finding that they are linked to menopause and loss of estrogen. This isn't a weight gain or obesity forum, after all.

Estrogen acts as an anti-inflammatory. And when we lose estrogen, we begin to feel more achy in the joints. Also, weight is stored in fat and fat is stored around the middle in menopausal women. It's a fact that women gain weight, especially around the middle, in menopause. Take a look at even the thinnest elderly women. Do you see an hourglass shape? No.

No kidding overweight can cause issues, such as soreness. But that's not the topic of this forum.
|

replied October 17th, 2012
The best explanation I found for the menopause weight gain is that your body searches for sources to make estrogen and it does that with fat. The most likely place is around the mid-section, but it will also accumulate under the armpits and the thighs. I also believe some people are more genetically predispositioned for it than others. I have always worked out and never had so much trouble with weight gain as I do now that I am in post-menopause. I also have not been on an HRT because of the negative side effects. I experience soreness in the back of my heels, my fingers, shoulders, and upper arms. My body just aches and I feel tired and have mental fog. I felt like I was going crazy. I just started taking using a natural hormone replacement system a week ago and I am starting to notice improvements. Most of the testimonies for the product said it took about a month to see improvement. The product has a 60 day money back guarantee so I'm encouraged. I do find that stretching in the morning helps a lot a long with walking daily. I have been officially) post menopausal for 2 years (3 years since my period stopped) and the symptoms have just gotten worse. For those interested, I started using Menoquill.
|

replied May 17th, 2014
How long were you on it before you felt any difference?
|

replied May 25th, 2013
Great observation about the weight gain. I started looking at all women thruout day who seemed over 45 and yes virtually all had a bit more in the middle. The only thing that has helped me tame this (I am 50 and long and lean body type) is boring sit ups. Firming the muscle has helped a lot that my very energetic other activities weren't targeting. You have a lot of good common sense contributions! I just found the forum and makes me feel MUCH better as I see my symptoms all overthe place so seems like I am not dying after all. But it is still a real bummer process. And it starts making u look older. My mom always scoffed at people making a fuss over women looking "great" under 50. She said "wait till you lose your hormones that's when it STARTS!" And she was right! And she is a beautiful 80 now who does yoga and line dancing so hardly fallen apart. But it makes me sad to see her neck all crepe-y and her arms. I remember them being smooth and toned not long ago. So seems like w/out plastic surgery the body really starts looking older. And especially for women this is super hard on the ego and even mild vanity! But need to focus on just being healthy and appreciating what a gift that is. So many people have really awful diseases. So I am happy to have something I can at least work with..!
|

replied July 21st, 2010
Thanks for all these comments - any solutions to the sore, stiff , painful feet - that's really what I need - but thakns for all the comments!
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
try drinking lots more water...I have had the runaround for months now, but a new Doc checked me out and said I was very dehydrated !! Following through on here I made the connection and am now drinking what feels like gallons of water a day, and believe it or not, my joints and feet are not as bad...very interesting.... but too simple for the Docs to make a connection !!
|

replied October 17th, 2012
That makes perfect sense. I have always been a big water drinker and haven't had near the hot flashes others have had. Although some days I have them more than others, minor as they are. I would be interesting to know if those days I had less water than the others.
|

replied July 25th, 2010
I also gain weight with menapause and had stiff hands toes, and feet- my MD said fish oil but Make sure it is a clean 99% - good source, I have one if you need one. Get your VIT d checked to low cause issues I
also use frankensence, sage oil, and an oil called orthosease seems to help- I strech before getting out of od bead each morning then do floor stretches. get a good chiropractice and massasge/pt person, yoga and mediation helps too.
|

replied September 19th, 2010
stiff feet and hands
Very interesting that I chanced upon this website, I had no idea that the stiff feet and hands were symptoms of menopause and being almost 50 (with a hysterectomy) that gives me insight. I have been taking fish oil for years and while it might help some women with symptoms it doesn't help mine. Thanks ladies for the very good information.
|

replied October 1st, 2010
Runswithwolves has an arrogant, condescending and most of all, dangerous "blow them off" attitude. Do you really think these women are too stupid to know if they are gaining weight from eating too much or your "diagnosis" of carpal tunnel could send them down the wrong path? Fool. You too, dgpt.

I have been experiencing really burning heels at night, stiff feet when I wake up and recently, very stiff hands that feel like they need to be "unrolled. I am VERY relieved to see it here. I though I had fibromyalgia. Now I know it could be as simple as menopause! I liked danipa68's idea of the fish oil. Makes sense. Going to try it and report back.
|

I love your name, BeatsUpWolves. I may just have to take "BeatsUpWolvesToo"! You gave me a chuckle. You are so right, too. I have had four kids spread out over a 13-year period and am only now experiencing weight gain and stiff ankles. I Googled and found this forum, then did some research to find that estrogen does affect inflammation in the joints.
|
Quick Reply