Medical Questions > Cancer > Colon Cancer Forum

stools are lime green - why?

Must Read
Colorectal cancer is serious and life-threatening. This section outline types of colorectal cancers, causes and risk factors for development. Get the facts here...
Although most colon cancers begin slowly, there are some people who are more at risk of developing colorectal cancer than others. But who? And why?...
As symptoms of colorectal cancer appear, they typically vary upon location and size. Learn to identify signs and symptoms early. Know when to seek help....
As far as health goes, I feel great. I am a Type I Diabetic, I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus about 10 yrs. ago, and I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. As I said I generally feel great, a pain here or there. But for the past week, my stools have been a lime green color. My grandbaby lives with me, and she had the same problem for about a week, and hers stopped, but mine contines. I am hoping it is an overproduction of something. I try to eat healthy, but I am addicted to sweets. WHat could be wrong? THis has never happened before, unless I ate green, leafy veggies>
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
The color of the stool can be affected by both by food and by the digestive process.
Have you also noticed changes in the frequency of your bowel movements?
Did you have runny stool at the same moment you had green colored stool?
Did you eat green, leafy veggies in bigger amount the past week?
|

replied November 27th, 2007
Stools Are a Lime Green Why?
No diarrhea. I have had veggies, ie. green beans, peas, collard greens, but they have never caused my stool to be this green. Frequency is the same, once or twice a day.
|

User Profile
replied December 3rd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Eating green vegetables or drinking chlorophyll (the green coloration in vegetables) rich fluids may cause stool to become green.
Have you experienced some abdominal pains?
Are you taking some medications or supplements?
|

replied April 4th, 2008
Green Stools
I have also been having green stools, I do not eat greens and my stomach was upset the last few days. I do have diarrhea but no vomiting. I take no medications except over the counter metamusil and maalox
|

User Profile
replied April 11th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Green stools are usually seen with diarrhea.
Bile that is secreted in the first part of the small intestine is actually green. As stool is digested and passed through the large intestine it is turned into a darker brown color.
If stool is still green by the time it is excreted, it could mean that it went through the large intestine too fast to be changed in color. This is often called "rapid transit" or "decreased colonic transit time" and diarrhea that is green in color could be the result.
Have you visited a doctor?
Is the cause of diarrhea found?
|

replied September 4th, 2008
i have been having green stools, no green vegies or fruits. eat the same as i do every day, im nautious constantly, i have great cronic stomach pains, which my doctor says is nothing. it just happened out of the blue, this morning it there was quite runny diarrhea along with a stool. then not to long ago, it was just all diarrhea, its quite green i don't know if thats something wrong.?
|

replied July 23rd, 2010
Green Stool
I have had the first lime green stool that I can ever remember having. I haven't eaten any cereal (too sweet) and I do eat veggies but in moderation. I do have frequent stomach pains. I sure wish i knew what this was.
|

replied December 6th, 2012
I have severe abdominal pains and BRIGHT green diarrhea. Only when i get the severe abdominal pain do i feel like i could vomit.
|