Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Dental Health Forum

Bump On Tongue. Should I Be Worried? [with Photos]

Must Read
Bad breath can often be the first sign of a disease. But how do doctors define bad breath and what are the major causes of bad breath?...
Did you know that bad breath can be associated with sinus problems? Learn more about the common (and unfamiliar) causes of bad breath here....
Did you know that symptoms of bad breath depend upon medical cause? More here on major causes and related symptoms of bad breath...plus when to seek help....
Hi,

A couple of months ago I noticed a small, whitish bump on the left side of my tongue. I never thought much about it, as it seems I have a fissured tongue and I just thought it was something normal for my type of tongue.

Recently, I started to feel a bit of pain in that area and I noticed a second smaller bump near the first one. I think it might be an aphthous ulcer and I'm planning on asking my doctor about it on the next appointment.

However, I'm a bit worried that this might be something serious, like oral cancer, and I wonder if I should go to the doctor ASAP. I'm a 23 years old male, non-smoker and I rarely drink.

Here are two photos of my tongue:

The bumps in question are near the bottom right corner of the photos.

Thank you for reading!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I also have fissured tongue--i have geographical tongue as well. how long has that been there? It looks like an inflamed taste bud or a blister. is it filled with fluid?
|

replied November 26th, 2007
I would say it is there for about 2 months, maybe more, maybe less... I'm not sure if there is fluid, but I guess not, because it feels hard on the touch. If there was fluid, it would probably feel kind of spongy, no?

I looked closely and I noticed that the tongue is full of similar structures, but much smaller. I suppose they are the taste buds you talked about, and that thing does seem like a swollen taste bud.

Thank you for your answer.
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my taste buds are rather large--so it could be. If you feel better about it you could always ask your doctor about it.
|

replied June 24th, 2009
Tongue Bump
Did you ever find out what it was?? I have the same thing! I got it removed last year and it GREW BACK!

I'm a 26yo female, non-smoker.
|

replied March 30th, 2011
i have the same thing but towards the back, did u ever find out what it was cos its freaking me out??
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Heh, completely forgot about this question, sorry...

I did ask my doctor about it and he told me not to worry. If I recall correctly, he said it might have been the consequence of a tongue bite.

It is still there today, but it gives me no trouble and I don't give it any thought.
|