Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Pain and numbness of feet after back surgeries - meds no help

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
i've had 2 back surgeries over the last 10 months on l-4and5 and s-1.I still have severe pain and extreme numbness in my feet ,mostly the left side. My doctor now tells me he wants to try the epidural shots to stop the pain. I'm also scheduled to see a neurosurgeonafter my first round of shots but I'd like to know if anyone has any input for me as far as what to do next?
I'm eating 10-12 percocet 10's a day and they're not touching the pain!!!!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 24th, 2007
Bakkick
i have gone thru 5 ops and each time numbness has been something i also had,i know it is very annoying but it will return but not completely in about 6 months.can i also try and advise you against further surgerey,it dosnt rearly improve your problem,it just causes more scar tissue inside that if like me will endup with you needing an op to remove it,you must come to terms with your dissability,and demand stronger pain relief.
i hope this makes you see your problem more clearly bye
|

replied November 26th, 2007
Experienced User
Have they checked an ilium upslip form you? That was the reason for my leg numbness. I hear it is very common disorder and usually misdiagnosed...
|

replied October 27th, 2011
I have had 3 shots in my back for back pain--the first one didnt work--then about a year later i received another one-but this time he also put a shot in my SI Sacrial Illium----let me tell you-after only 1 day i was able to get up out of the bed like i was 25 yrs old again---and im 46.. they help BUT they dont last but maybe 3 months or so--AS SOON as you start feeling pain again make the appt. to get another one---dont wait until it gets to bad. Hope it works for you.
|

replied November 29th, 2007
Scar Tissues
what is it?
|

replied November 30th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Scar Tissues
schoc wrote:
what is it?

Very common but doctors don't much know about it. Here I have collected some info. I hope it is allowed to show these links..

http://www.selkasivut.fi/selka/links.html
http://www.selkasivut.fi/selka/others.html
|

replied December 12th, 2007
Still Numb?
I still have numbness and stabbing pains in my feet 1 and 1/2 year after my fusion (l3-l4-l5-s1) but it's an improvement, since I woke up from surgery unable to move my legs. If you still have nerve pain in your feet and can't live with it, you may want to ask your doctor about anti-epileptic drugs. In small doses they are the best treatment for nerve pain, but they have plenty of side effects, so be careful.
|