Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Uti - can you give urinary tract infection to partner during sex

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
User Profile
I heard that if you have a UTI and you have sex you can give it to your partner, is that true? I dont have a UTI and my partner doesnt.. even at that i would think sex would be the last thing on your mind if you had one lol, but i was just woundering about that.

Hope you all have a great Turkey day!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
In men, an obstruction to urinary flow, such as a kidney stone (fun!) or enlarged prostate (funner!) is often to blame. Because a woman’s urethra is close to the vagina and anus, the penis can push bacteria living near the vagina inside during sex.

http://www.gradspot.com/articles/33-treati ng-utis-chlamydia-and-the-clap
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I do not believe a woman can easily give a man her UTI.
|

replied February 28th, 2008
In short...
Yes, a UTI can be passed on whilst having sex.

...and the not so short (but still not too long) Razz.
The most common cause of UTI's is a bacteria known as 'e.coli' which can survive even the harshest of conditions (anti-biotics, a duration of boiling, etc.) and it can be found pretty much everywhere. So yes, you can get it whilst having sex but it's far more likely that you'd get it from a door handle, your alarm clock, a newspaper...(I'm sure you get it)...etc.
|
Quick Reply