Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

EC Plan B contraception twice in same month + menstrual period (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I took plan B on November 7 and had some brown spotting the day of and day after I took it.

On November 12 I got really heavy bleeding and I'm assuming it was my period, which lasted till November 15-16. 5 days is usually the number of days it lasts, so I'm pretty sure it was my period.

I had sex on November 21 and the condom broke.
I think I'm going to take plan B tomorrow.. and I know, please don't tell me I'm stupid because I know I am, but do you think I should take a test first? I'm so scared of taking it EC twice in the same month...

My periods are really irregular, in October I had it from 19th to 24th, should I not expect my period for quite some time?

Just any information at all would help please, I'd be so grateful..
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper MeganSweet
|

replied November 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know how Plan B works... I went to their website and they said it shouldn't be used as the main for of birth control, but I couldn't find anything about any health reasons why it couldn't be used again.

I say, take it, and get on the pill, so you're protected even if the condom breaks again.

And it doesn't matter if you take a pregnancy test, it will come up negative for a few more weeks.
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Please dont do this.. test first because seriously I have gone through the whole plan B ordeal with people and you should NOT take it twice in one month it even advises you of you of that.. it is intended in case of emergency and on occasion.

why are you not on birth control?
|

Extremely eHealthy
By the time she'd take a test and get an accurate result it'd be too late to take the Plan B, so what's the point?
|

Experienced User
I'm no doctor, but I do beleive it is safe to take plan B twice in one month. You should call a pharmacist, hotline, or planned parenthood and ask them first though.

Are you sure the bleeding you had from Nov 12 -15 was your period? Is that the time it was scheduled to show up? Plan B doesn't actually give you your period, but it can give you withdrawl bleeding a few days later that looks like a real period. You still should have had your period on time (maybe a day or two early or late depending on what time in your cycle you took it).

Anyway, go to planned parenthood (or wherever it is you get your plan b) and ask if it's okay to take again. Make sure you give them all the same info you gave us.

Good luck
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I have a friend who took the plan b, but she still ended up getting pregnant and didnt even know it for a while, We dont know why exactly it didnt work when she took it. but if it would make you feel safer you can take a pregnancy test, if you got pregnant from the nov 7th time than you should beable to tell.. Because if you did by chance get preg from the 7th, the planned b would just be a waiste of money because it wouldnt work now anyways.. if that makes sence. I say take a test (you can find some pretty cheep ones at walmart) and if it comes back - than go buy a plan b
AND just wanted to let you know you are not stupid. You were being safe and using a condom, how were you to know it would break?

Good luck to you, happy turkey day
|

Extremely eHealthy
All it takes is a free phone call to 1-888-NOT-TOO-LATE, to find out exactly how you can take Plan B.

You must take it as soon as possible if you do take it, because it works if you take it BEFORE you ovulate.
|

replied November 23rd, 2007
Experienced User
futureshock wrote:

You must take it as soon as possible if you do take it, because it works if you take it BEFORE you ovulate.

Really? Is that why the success rate is only 87%? If you've already ovulated is it a lost cause? Does that mean that if a pregnancy would have occured (due to the timing of sex and ovulation) Plan B will not do anything to prevent it? Do you have a link with more information? I did a quick google search and didn't see anything. Sorry, I hate to question your information (and I promise I'm not doing it to be a jerk, I'm genuinely curious), but I hate to be ignorant on something as important as emergency conception should I end up in a position to have to use it.
|

Extremely eHealthy
PLAN B ONLY prevents ovulation.

Here is a great study that was done.

Volume 75, Issue 2, Pages 112-118 (February 2007)

Effectiveness of levonorgestrel emergency contraception given before or after ovulation

Natalia Novikovaa, Edith Weisbergab, Frank Z. Stanczykc, Horacio B. Croxattod, Ian S. Fraserab

Received 3 July 2006; received in revised form 28 August 2006; accepted 29 August 2006 published online 30 October 2006.

Abstract
Background
Although widely used, the mechanisms of action of the levonorgestrel emergency contraceptive pill (LNG ECP) are still unclear. There are increasing data to indicate that LNG is particularly effective as an ECP by interrupting follicular development and ovulation. An important outstanding question is whether it has any effect on fertilization or implantation.

Method
Ninety-nine women participated; they were recruited at the time they presented with a request for emergency contraception. All women took LNG 1.5 mg in a single dose during the clinic consultation. A blood sample was taken immediately prior to ingestion of the ECP for estimation of serum LH, estradiol and progesterone levels to calculate the day of ovulation. The specimens were analyzed in a single batch. Based on these endocrine data, we estimated the timing of ovulation to be within a ±24-h period with an accuracy of around 80%. Women were followed up 4–6 weeks later to ascertain pregnancy status. The effectiveness of ECP when taken before and after ovulation was determined.

Results
Three women became pregnant despite taking the ECP (pregnancy rate, 3.0%). All three women who became pregnant had unprotected intercourse between Days −1 and 0 and took the ECP on Day +2, based on endocrine data. Day 0 was taken as ovulation day. Among 17 women who had intercourse in the fertile period of the cycle and took the ECP after ovulation occurred (on Days +1 to +2), we could have expected three or four pregnancies; three were observed. Among 34 women who had intercourse on Days −5 to −2 of the fertile period and took ECP before or on the day of ovulation, four pregnancies could have been expected, but none were observed. We found major discrepancies between women's self-report of stage of the cycle and the dating calculation based on endocrine data.

Conclusion
These data are supportive of the concept that the LNG ECP has little or no effect on postovulation events but is highly effective when taken before ovulation.

Keywords: Emergency contraception, Pregnancies, Ovulation, Timing of intercourse, Timing of emergency contraception
http://www.contraceptionjournal.org/articl e/PIIS0010782406003611/abstract
|

dont be worried just take it before its too late. i took plan b twice in the same week..
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
janie xoxo wrote:
dont be worried just take it before its too late. i took plan b twice in the same week..

Why would you take plan b twice in a week?

It is great you were being responsible to prevent pregnancy, but did you really not use protection twice in a week?

Maybe you should buy some condoms or get on birth control. It is much less harsh on your body and more effective at preventing pregnancy.
|

Especially eHealthy
janie xoxo wrote:

yeah
thats not good
|

i know. thats why im on bc pills now.
|

replied December 17th, 2011
Hi Janie, I know this was ages ago and you may not see this question but I was wondering, when you took it the first time, did you get your period before you took it the second time?
I ask because I took it about 2 weeks apart, got my period within 5 days after the first pill, then took it again after another accident about a week later. It's been 10 days since I took the second time and I haven't started my period yet. I did a lot of reading and realize this may be because I'm in a different place of my cycle and the results could be totally different, like delaying it this time. Just nervous. I took the second time only 2 hours after the accident so I was just hoping you had some positive feedback for me. How did your experience go after taking it twice in a week?
|

Especially eHealthy
Just now? If this is the first week you have ever taken them, please make sure to use condoms this first week or just plain ABSTAIN. Once you have taken birth control for a full week you will be safe every day of every month, even during the Placebo (sugar pill) week.
|

replied August 4th, 2008
i had intercourse on 18th of july.my last mensus is from 1to 5 of july.this month missing periods.hav 2 protect myself from conceiving.wat has to do?
|

replied March 30th, 2009
plan b use
I took Plan B three times in a matter of two weeks. my last period was on Feb 14. It is now March 30 and I havent started. I've had the feeling of starting my period ( breast tenderness and stomach cramps) but nothing ever happened. I also took an at-home preg test and one at planned parenthood. Both read negative. I'm still worried
|

replied March 31st, 2010
when should i be expecting mine
I took plan b last week on friday, and again today which is wednesday. My period is always irregular and hardly ever know when im going to get it, i last had it at the end of febuary. when should i be worried.
|

replied September 28th, 2010
morning after pill
So i know plan b is bad for you. but what exactly does it do? I had to take four plan Bs this month one bc i was molested, two the condom ripped and one bc we had no other protection. I'm scared i might be pregnant and also what its doing to my body. i havent had any symptoms relating pregnancy and my period is due next week....
|

replied January 27th, 2012
Plan B is very strong consider it like a small dosage of whats used for abortions, takin too many plan Bs can cause issues of infertility when you actually want to have a child later on. don't consider it as birth control but as a last resort emergency option. just a peice of advise cus something like this has happened to me. once you take a plan b please refrain from sex til you get your period and you know that it worked
|

replied January 5th, 2011
Plan B - Can be used twice
Plan B is emergency contraception, but there is absolutely no harm in taking it twice in 1-week. I'm so glad that it's offered at the Pharmacy, so that women don't have to worry about being grilled and questioned as to why they are purchasing it twice in 1-week S#@% happens. You'll be fine. Also, if you have already ovulated, it can still work, by preventing attachment of the egg, so don't listen to people who tell you that if you have ovulated, it's no good, that's not true. My advice, do your research: Go to the Official Website for Plan B and check to see how it works. And don't listen to other people, it's just a high level/dose of birth control, better to shell out $50 twice than to be paying for a baby for the next 18-years. That's my 2 cents.
|

replied January 5th, 2011
Especially eHealthy
lcod, Plan B is a very, very strong birth control pill. It works in a number of ways:

* It makes your cervical mucus impenetrable by sperm,
* It prevents a follicle from ripening and releasing an egg during ovulation
* It interferes with the sperm's ability to penetrate the released egg and fertilize it before it dies and,
* It prevents the uterus lining from preparing for implantation of a fertilized egg.

Depending on where in your cycle you were when semen got ejaculated inside you, one of these mechanisms will try to prevent pregnancy.

At best, it is worse than most forms of hormonal and barrier methods of birth control. It is only 87% effective at best, and best means taking it immediately after intercourse. So 13 out of every 100 woman that would not have become pregnant with normal birth control, will get pregnant due to Plan B failing to prevent it.

There is no limit on how frequently you can take it. You can take it every day if you want to. It is a very expensive form of birth control, it is ineffective compared to more popular methods and it creates a large side effect risk. These side effect are what makes you feel crappy: Changes in your period, Nausea, Lower Abdominal Pain, Fatigue, Headache, Dizziness and Breast Tenderness. If you use it regularly and these side effects does not kill your sex drive, the the hormones might.

It sounds like you are leading a sexually risky life style. Rather get on the pill or find another form of birth control like IUDs. You also have to be worried about STDs and infections.

If you have a substance abuse problem, sex will present a severe risk to your health, similar or greater than you had this last month.

Take care and PLEASE BE CAREFUL. You are responsible for your own well being and health.
|
12 >>