Medical Questions > Mental Health > Autism Forum

Can Autism Be Managed With Music Therapy?

Must Read
Start to understand this serious developmental disorder here. We review causes of autism, risk factors for development and other related health conditions...
Researchers believe that environmental and genetic reasons cause autism. But what group(s) are more at risk than others? Autism causes and risk factors here....
Main symptoms of autism involve communication, behavior and social difficulties - but when do these appear? and what symptoms are truly caused by autism?...
User Profile
I knew someone who was researching sounds and their affects on autistic children back in 2002. I'm wondering if anyone knows about the latest research in music therapy and treating autism?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
a lot of autistic children like music. I have several under my care that like to have a walkman with their favorite music on. I do know that music is soothing and does help calm them,
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I agree from people I've worked with who've had autism. It won't cure them or anything, but it is definitely therapeutic.
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
yeah esp.if they are agitated. i always put on their favorite music and they do calm down. it is very helpful
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Yes, plus it's a way to keep them engaged- with a kid I work with, we clap along- he has really good rhythm!!
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
my guys like to sit and listen or go to their room and boogey!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I'm gonna look this up on psychinfo.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
let us know what you find out
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Kind've disappointing- most of the things I read said "more empirical research needs to be done in this area"

so I didn't find much.

But I did find evidence for music being used as an aid to teach self-care (handwashing songs, etc.)
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Not all children with Autism like music. It could be with how the music is presented. I work with a few kids who really do not like music at all due to auditory hypersensitivity. The greatest difficulty is music class and they seem to have sensory overload; some of the reason may be due to auditory hypersenstivity. Two children in particular are unable to attend music at all, and we have had to develop other options for them during music time.
On a personal level, my son is on the spectrum and couldn't even listen to music (with words) in preschool, on the radio with me and hated when someone would sing him a song. He is better now. He did, however, seem not not mind classical music.

A structured, well studied music therapy program does seem like it would be good. All of my experiences have to do with more unstructured or semi structured situations (pertaining to music).

I would look up "Electronic auditory stimulation." I don't know a lot about it but it's something I do want to learn more about.

If you do hear any additional information about the music therapy please let me know. This is quite interesting. I will ask my colleagues at work tomorrow for additional information and get back to you. Too bad there isn't more empirical research data.
|

User Profile
replied November 30th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
it could just be that it isnt their taste in music either. i know one of my guys likes rap and the other likes rap. I think that you have to play around with it. and if its not music--something else might be their thing.
|

User Profile
replied December 13th, 2007
Supporter
I know that Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO has a graduate program in music therapy. And that they're currently working with groups of autistic children ... but I don't know much else...will look for info.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
rooted wrote:
I know that Colorado State University in Ft. Collins, CO has a graduate program in music therapy. And that they're currently working with groups of autistic children ... but I don't know much else...will look for info.

Let us know if you find out more.
|

User Profile
Supporter
some like music some think its annoying and some it hurts their ears. My little cousin is 10 and i have been around him ever since the day he was born. You really have to test the waters and find out what they like and don't like, what they are good at and what they get frustrated with.
|