Medical Questions > Parenting > Teens Forum

Delayed Growth/puberty

Am 15, nearly 16 now. Shortest in my year, no body hair except around genitals(but still very little), becoming a major problem now. Saw doctor today, but she sorta dismissed it as one of those "will happen eventually, just leave it, but if you really want, make another appointment in 6 months", even after asking about some of the drugs/treatments I had read about she seemed very reluctant to do anything about it. I know it isn't her fault, she's just trying to do her job, but its very stressful for me, as its becoming embarrassing just walking around the school these days, I'm always being mistaken for someone 4 or 5 years younger than me. I literally have grown about 2-3cm since year 7.

Anyway I have no idea what to do, and am becoming incredibly depressed about it, and it's affecting everything, I barely even want to go to school anymore, it didnt really matter in year 7,8 and 9, but now theres a huge gap between me and my friends.

Please help/and or give advice, I really need someones advice on this one, like maybe alternative ways of treating it without a doctor, and preferably without telling my parents. I told them I was seeing doctor about a sore throat. Don't give me a lecture about how I should open up and talk to people like my parents, because thats irrelevant, and I don't want to tell them.

Thanks,
Anonymous
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 21st, 2007
bump
|

User Profile
replied November 21st, 2007
Supporter
i was the same way .. smalller then everyone... i didnt get my period till i was 15 i think.. even then i had like no boobs....

its really not a big deal.. i got depressed about it too.. dont worry though seriously.. im 18 now people think im 15, and i have a kid now.. my bf is the same way too people think hes like 17 and hes 21 ! so as you see its normal.. nobody looks their age.. and just think when your 30 looking 25 what the others will think.. plus some people actually like smaller woman and men.. so dont worry.. really...
|

replied November 25th, 2007
thanks.
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2007
Supporter
no problem
|

replied November 26th, 2007
I was the same as you - grade 7 I was 4Ft tall, no period till I was 16, and now at 23 (I grew - I'm 5ft now Smile ) I still look like I'm 16 - so much so - the other day, someone asked my hubby if I was his daughter - did not go over well lol. (Hubby is 29 but unshaven could pass for 35)

But yeah - a lot of ppl out there in your shoes. Don't worry and post again if you wanna talk some more!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied December 10th, 2007
You will probably grow, I was only 3'2" my sixth grade year and grew 11 and a half inches my sevinth grade year. I am now 5'1" and people still think I am 14 even though I am 19, but it doesn't bother me much. I did find out my jounior year after being in and out of the hospital over and over that I had celiac desease, If you have other problems in addition to being short you might want to look into Celiac desease, its an alergic reaction to gluten. Gluten is pretty much every grain excluding corn and rice. Sometimes you don't have many signs of it at all but the first I noticed with myself was severe acne, short stature, and constipation, though diareah is acually more common with celiac desease. 10 percent of the population have celiac desease, almost all of these can go thorough life with no symptoms or no way of knowing they have it. You also have to take into conciteration your parents height, if your parents are short, you probably will be too. There are hormone pills a doctor can perscribe to make you grow and some surgical procedures that strech your bones, but you may just start growing later. Woman usually do most of their growing by age 18 but its not common to still grow a little, maybe an inch or two between age 18 and 21. If it makes you feel better though, if your 4'11" or shorter, in the united states at least,by reading how you worded your grade, im assuming your from the UK, but I didn't look to be hounest with you, but you are concitered legally a midgit and you can get a handicap sticker for your car so you dont have to walk as far, which is always an added bonus! I could also go into the tubes at magic mountain through my sophomore year, so there are good parts about being short. If you have any more questions just ask. I hope everything goes ok for you. Very Happy
|

replied September 25th, 2009
Me Too
I was the same way growing up and it was very humiliating and painful. I got depressed and even tried to commit suicide. But I eventually hit puberty and grew to 5'9". Not exactly tall but I still look very young for my age and now that I am in my 30's I loooooove it. Hang in there it WILL get better. Use this time to study hard and focus on your future. You will be glad you did! I wish I could take away some of that pain you fell. I know it is horrible but it will make you stronger!
|