Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Urinary and Bladder Disorders Forum

Green Urine / no other symptoms / ideas?

Must Read
One in five women will develop a UTI during her life. But what are UTIs? and what causes this type of infection?...
Why are women more at risk of developing UTI than men? Read here for more on what causes urinary tract infections and what puts you at risk of UTI....
A UTI can affect the bladder, kidney, ureters and/or the urethra. Learn which symptoms indicate urinary tract infection, complications and when to seek help....
Hi

I'm going to post here since the doctor is offline at the moment

I have recently just started to realize that my urine is green. Well, not dark green, but light green. I can only remember back a few months when it was green as well - if it has been green for many years I cannot remember, I usually did not check the color of my pee

If I drink a lot of water, the urine obviously becomes more clear. In the mornings, or after periods when I do not consume much water, my urine is more yellow / dark yellow

I am a 19 years old male and I cannot think of any symptoms. One other thing, that I think is completely unrelated, is that my skin itches/hurts and becomes a little red when I start sweating (just at the beginning of sweating, such as hot weather)

I do not eat asparagus and am on no medications or vitamin supplementations. The only things I can think of that are green and that I eat on an almost daily basis is the olive oil I use for frying and kiwis.

I have looked on the Internet and found that "oxidised bilirubin" can cause green urine, although I don't know if this is something bad, or what the cause could be for increased oxidized bilirubin in urine

I have had an UTI (Uniary Tract Infection) a couple of years back, but that was treated. Currently I feel no pain, burning, etc. when I go to the toilet., no fever

I am usually thirsty a lot, but I think I have gotten used to drink a lot. My urine is also mostly clear/slightly green because I do drink a lot. I don't think I urinate too much

So, basically, the only symptom is the green urine which I have been having for a long time, I just started noticing it now

Please, what could turn the urine to this color in a teenager?

I have (1/2 a year ago) had blood tests for kidney/liver done, as well as vitamins/minerals in blood - all normal. Had too little iron at a time, but was given iron supplements, which changed my iron levels to normal
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zab
|

replied December 21st, 2008
I have the same symptom
I am almost 34. I'm a married female. I too have the same symptom's as you. I'm not sure about my skin turning reddish when I start to sweat, I'll pay closer attention now, but my skin also hurts and itches a lot.

I'm on a lot of medications, but none have done this before. My pee being greenish has been only in the last 4 to 6 months. It started after I had a tooth removed and took a high dose antibiotic. Now it comes and goes.

I have no pain, no itching or anything when I pee, I just notice that it's greenish. But just like the author Zab, it's yellow in the morning. I drink a lot too and experience a lot of thurst. Our symptoms are earily similar.
|

replied December 21st, 2008
www.mayoclinic.com
Definition
Normal urine color ranges from pale yellow to deep amber — the result of a pigment called urochrome. But urine color isn't always normal.

B vitamins turn urine an eye-popping neon yellow, for instance. Carrot juice can tint it orange. And porphyria, a disease that affects your skin and nervous system, earned its reputation — and its name — by turning urine the color of port wine.

Most changes in urine color are harmless and temporary — the result of certain foods, dyes, supplements or prescription drugs. Occasionally, though, unusual urine color can indicate an infection or serious illness. Talk to your doctor about changes in urine color that persist or don't seem linked to medications or food.
|

User Profile
replied April 1st, 2009
I think I've the same as you .I'm 21 female but i know that i have diet rich in green vegetables and i take medications for low back pain .
|

replied April 3rd, 2009
me too!
I am the same way! I'm a 25 year old female and lately I've noticed that my urine is ever so slightly light green but it's not every time, about 50/50 I'd guess. I've definitely noticed an increase in thirst lately - not sure if it's due to just staying more hydrated or a sign of a problem. However, a few things have changed in my diet somewhat recently so I'm going to wait and see if it returns to normal (just went back to drinking skim milk but I've been accustomed to soy milk for quite some time). Also just started a multivitamin (though the vitamin itself is orange).

I *hope* it's just a consequence of having skim milk and a new vitamin!
|

replied August 24th, 2009
all the symptoms you have stated is mostly diabetic. You might want to get checked and treated if so.
|

replied July 18th, 2011
Green Urine
Well Ladys, I beleive it's something in the air... I too have a yellow-greenish urine, want lots of water, skin becomes itchey when I started to sweat and/or enter the sun. I take no meds, no vitamins etc...
What could this all mean? Sunshine
|

replied January 18th, 2012
I've also got a few of these symptoms. Increased thirst which is not quenched by water. I've started drinking vitamin water, and that helps. I do take two perscribed meds in addition to vitamins b12, d3, and a multivitamin. My urine is often a cloudy greenish color. It's weird. The diabetic comment freaks me out, because I am high risk due to family history and the size of my first child. However I have a healthy diet and have a normal bmi. Did anyone with this problem get tested for diabetes? If so, what were the results?
|

replied January 9th, 2013
I'm a 18 year old female amd I just started to notice that my urine has also a greenish tint to it and also an increase in thurst. My skin itches just a little bit but not a lot. I also am on no medications or vitamin supplements. I do not really eat much and when I do I usually don't eat anything green. Its hard to pee too it'll feel like I have to but when I try nothing comes out or not a lot comes out and it feels like I still have to even after I do urinate. I'm worried what could be wrong
|

replied March 29th, 2013
Green urine, oxidized bilirubin
You're kidding? Typical doctor. No help. Did you really suggest that the folks above should seek the opinion of a doctor. Aren't you a doctor? Lucrative. How many doctors should one go to?

The question persists, DOCTOR, oxidized bilirubin, what is it, what causes it, is this a cause for green urine, what specifically is that cause and how does one treat it? Quack,quack quack.
|

replied March 29th, 2013
Green urine, oxidized bilirubin
You're kidding? Typical doctor. No help. Did you really suggest that the folks above should seek the opinion of a doctor. Aren't you a doctor? Lucrative. How many doctors should one go to?

The question persists, DOCTOR, oxidized bilirubin, what is it, what causes it, is this a cause for green urine, what specifically is that cause and how does one treat it? Quack,quack quack.
|

replied April 19th, 2013
olive green urine
Carealot: I too stay dehydrated and drink a lot of water and it does not quench my thirst . I also sweat way more then what might be considered normal. My hair stays drenched along with my clothes. I am constantly changing my clothes and taking multiple showers . Their is no reason for the sweating because I sit at home in the air conaditioning. and Ikeep it freezing. My family has to st ay bundled up. I am taking a seizure med and sometimes a multi vitamin . I pray that they are not signs of diabetes because i to am a high risk. What is going on?
|

replied March 19th, 2014
SAME HERE! More thirsty than usual, and green urine for like a year now!!!!!!!! Some one help us!!!! Seriously. I doubt someone whose solved this issue would be on this site though Sad its just us looking for answers Sad i have digestive issues, used to have a vitamin d deficiency (level is getting better), my b12 was in normal range but low end so i supplement for that every once in a while. I dont know what it could be!!! Im so happy when its not green but clear. And it is cloudy. Also in the morning its brown and concentrated. Which i think its normal for your urine to be concentrated in the morning but now brownish!!! Guys help pleaseeeee!!! Im scared of kidney or liver failure. My potassium level is also a little low. Doctors suck.
|