Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Q and A Forum

Period-like Cramps At 20 Weeks

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
is it normal to have those af-like cramps at 20 weeks? i feel like i did in the beginning where it feels like my period is coming any minute.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile browneyed_gemini
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Supporter
Don't Let This Scare You, But Call Your Doctor!
I found this:

Abdominal pain in general is not entirely uncommon during pregnancy. During the early stages of pregnancy, it is possible that a woman will have an episode or two of light spotting or bleeding, and this may be accompanied by mild menstrual-type cramping pain. Beyond this, however, menstrual-type cramps during pregnancy are not generally considered normal and can be a sign of a problem.

It is important to remember that sever or persistent pain in the abdomen is never normal, whether or not you are pregnant. On the other hand, pain that is mild and infrequent is very common. Many pregnant women, for example, will experience some degree or another of cramping after an orgasm.

Stomach pain during pregnancy can have a variety of causes. Sometimes, this pain will resemble menstrual-type cramps. Gas and bloating, for example, are very common during pregnancy. Constipation is another common cause of abdominal pain for a pregnant woman. A brief, stabbing pain on one side of the abdomen or the other that occurs during the second trimester can be caused by round ligament pain. This is pain caused when the ligaments that support your uterus begin to become thicker and stretchier to help support your growing uterus.

Menstrual-type cramps during pregnancy can be indicative of a variety of problems. If your cramping is preceded by bleeding, either light or heavy, and if the cramping is rhythmic, you may be having or may have had a miscarriage. This type of spotting followed by cramping can also be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy. In either case, you should contact your health care provider, as an untreated miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy can be very dangerous.

Later on in pregnancy, these types of cramps can be a sign of preterm or premature labor. This type of cramping will also generally be preceded by a vaginal discharge that is bloody, pink, watery, or mucus-like. If you have strong or persistent menstrual-type cramping during pregnancy, you should talk to your health care provider right away to determine if there is a problem of some sort.
|

User Profile
In my previous pregnancies, period-like cramps were common every month about the same time I would have normally gotten my period. Some web sites state that this pain is just your abnominal muscles expanding. Don't worry about it unless you start bleeding or if the pain gets worse. Congratulations and Good Luck.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
you can have cramps/uncomfort during pregnancy if its something that truly worries you head into L&D to be checked out better safe than sorry
|

Especially eHealthy
At approximately 28 weeks, I had the worst 'crampy' sensations. Went to L&D at the behest of my doctor and was monitored for a few hours. Slight contractions were attributed to Irritable Uterus.

Well no duh my uterus was irritated! I was growing a baby in there! Sheesh.

You should call your doctor just to be safe - s/he may ask you to get monitored. The sooner the better this week, since it is a holiday week.

Hope you feel better soon!
|

Especially eHealthy
bridget could it be ligament streatching maybe? i know those kinda feel like cramps sometimes?
|

Especially eHealthy
well, the cramps aren't really in my abdomen/uterus region. they're like period cramps that i get in my back. i feel stupid, but i can't tell if this could be poop related or not.

i don't really want to call my doctor (Embarassed), i can't get there today and i have an appointment on wednesday anyway. i'm not even uncomfortable, there's just enough discomfort to notice but that's it.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Well it could be....
Are you constipated?

Also, I had bad back aches through pregnancy and it was because Kyleigh was pushing on my sciatic nerve.

Have you thought about seeing a chiropractor? I went when I was pregnant and it was the best thing ever. They do special things with pregnant women.
Plus, the 30 min massage afterwards was HEAVEN!
|

Especially eHealthy
A massage sounds nice. Wink
|

Especially eHealthy
BridgetHeartsFinn wrote:
well, the cramps aren't really in my abdomen/uterus region. they're like period cramps that i get in my back. i feel stupid, but i can't tell if this could be poop related or not.

i don't really want to call my doctor (Embarassed), i can't get there today and i have an appointment on wednesday anyway. i'm not even uncomfortable, there's just enough discomfort to notice but that's it.

yeah i feel that in my lower back too sometimes when i have to poop
|

Especially eHealthy
marianne, i hate chiropractors. i love massages though! it's definitely not sciatica, i have that constantly. it's not really a back problem either... i can't describe it.

it's pretty much gone now. i'm going to chalk it up to constipation (though i don't really feel constipated).

thanks though!
|

replied February 4th, 2008
having cramps at 20 weeks. Is that normal with a little spotting but, it stop. What
could that have been. Does some strectching cause you to spot and cramp. I will go to the doctor on Wednesday any way.
|

replied November 3rd, 2009
20 weeks period pains
im 20 weeks pregnant.been having period type pains and achy legs and feel very tired.its been for about 4 days now,should i be worried?its just like when im having bad period pains when im not pregnant
|

replied January 29th, 2010
Cramps
cramps 19 weeks 2 days !!!! I lay on my left side drink water and relax!!
I also have 2 daughters been there.....Relax for a while and see if they get better if not call DR. or go to ER.
|

replied October 5th, 2010
period type cramping at 20 weeks
i have period type cramps and i' going to get monitored in about a half hour i'm so scared..they feel like period cramps and kind of into my back too and i get lightheaded.idk i feel so dumb i call the doc about every little thing :S ugh. i feel so stupid. but i need toknow to feel better. i have terrible anxiety issues normallyo anyway. so when it comes to my baby its like 10 million times worse than ever before.
|