Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Scare of My Life This Morning!!!

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
i dropped my 3 kids off this morning at school and went out of town to run some last minute errands for the turkey day. well i was 35-40 miles out when i received an urgent call from the school about my son....
his eyes were swollen shut and huge and he was paniking big time so i spun my van around (should of heard my tires just like drag racing ) and went 65-70 mile and hour to get there by the time i got there his eyes had gone down a little my poor lil man he was sooo upset i fell bad cause i wasnt close by when he needed me so i take him home and call his allergist immunologist and they said benidryle and if no change then epi pen him then take him to the er cause his tounge was slightly swollen too but he wasnt having any prob breathing thank you god.... well he is doing a little better now so hopefully i wont have to epi him that is what im afraid of. he is watching rugrats as we type now.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
OMG Shocked

How scary! Poor thing! Do you know what caused it?

Why didn't the school call the ambulance?
|

User Profile
Supporter
no they have no idea i called them later and asked them to find out what everyone ate that morning before coming to school but nothing out of the ordinary so maybe a new one has developed. not sure why they didnt call the ambulance go fig our school system is messed up big time i hate it but cant afford to move to new place yet we still would need a buyer for our current home.
|

Extremely eHealthy
ahhh poor guy!!
I hope he feels better.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
man i would of been so scared. hope you find out what caused it
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Does he have food allergies already?

You know it is so strange how closely your life mirrors mine some times. Geneva got nailed by a hornet or a wasp or something yesterday afternoon while she was out with her dad. When she got home, I took one look at her and said "what's wrong with you??" Her face was swollen, red and puffy. Her foot was really red too. She has never had an anaphylactic reaction, but this summer when she got attacked by hornets my parents were here and watching the kids. My step dad is a doc, and never gets alarmed about anything, but they almost called us home because her leg was so swollen. So I called them last night to see if i should be alarmed and he told me to take hr to the ER. I said, ummm, no 'cause I don't have 2000 bucks to burn so I loaded her up with benadryl, got the doc I used to work for to call her in an epi pen and made her sleep on the couch so I could listen to her breathing (LOL). She's OK this AM but really swollen.

Does your son have a history of anaphylactic reactions? Is this your youngest boy? Maybe he got stung by something, and it wasn't something he ate. How scary! Have you ever had to give him epii before? I am afraid to give it to her, now that I have an Rx for it. How will I know when I need to give it to her?

Will he tolerate ice to his swollen parts? Or maybe a cold washcloth?

ps how are things?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Poor little man! I would have been scared to death!
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Im glad too hear he is ok ....although i couldnt imagine how frightening it must have been on you both.....im so thankful my daughter has no allergies.
|

User Profile
Supporter
sorry so long to get back to you guys silyakchick yes he is allergic to...
pork
beef

eggs
soy
milk
seafood soft and hard
corn
peanuts
nuts
strawberries
horse hair
cats

so that is just to name a few.
epi are scarry if she is having a hard time breathing turns colors or if benadryl doesnt work after 1/2 hour then you have to stab her ( sorry for the wording but that is what i was told to do ) in the upper thigh really hard and count to 10 before you pull it out of her leg. he is resting now the drugs kicked in and he is tired.
he is my only son 5 years old who has a whole slew of problems since birth.

i wished we did live closer to each other so then we could meet and talk.
how is she doing now?? did those boys leave her alone now on the bus?
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
She's OK I gave her the choice to go to school or stay home, and she wanted to go to school. I haven't heard anything new about the big kids lately. Will keep you posted.

I so don't know if I could stick my own kid. I had a hard time immunizing my cat!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
has the swelling gone down?

Poor guy. It sounds like it's been a rough 5 years.

~big hug~
|

User Profile
Supporter
ill post some pics in a sec to show...
|

User Profile
Supporter

first one is 20 min after i gave him meds
the second one is 1hour later he was eating some lunch on the go
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
poor baby
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
Oh thats so scary! You know Jay has severe allergies too. Not to as many things as your son though. Poor little man!

Last week Jay spent the morning in the new classroom he will be in after christmas, just to get used to it and meet his new teachers. I met him at lunch time with the other mums and brought him a packed lunch, we had to stay with them. Well I followed him into the dinner hall and the stupid teacher took him to the school dinner line! what the heck?! So he wasnt sure what was going on because I had told him he was having a packed lunch. So I rushed over to him where they had already put some sausages on his plate and was like "excuse me! hes not having school dinners because he has food allergies!" I was so mad about it.

I even checked the day before this happened, with his pre school teacher, that his new teachers knew about his allergies, and she was like "yes they do, all the teachers in the school know"...ugh Im going to speak to her about it today, I'll try to be nice but im still mad about it.

Thankfully he was ok with having packed lunch even though the children sat right next to him were eating the things hes allergic to. If you breath on him too close when you've had those food things it can cause him to get an allergic reaction, but I guess thats a risk we'll have to take because im not having him sitting by himself at lunch times. I guess I could always take him home for lunch.

Did this happen to your son during lunch time?

The reaction he gets I usually have to give him that piriton syrup to make the hives go down. If it turned worse and his tongue swelled up or he started finding it hard to breathe because of the reaction in his throat I would give him the epi-pen injection. We carry 2 incase 1 isnt enough. The school also have 2.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
aww hope hes doing better
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
What a cute little man!