Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

2 Children + Bedtime =?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
This is something that I've been secretly stressing and I need to let it out and ask for advice. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post it. Move it if you have to. I'm worried about what will happen at bedtime when I have 2 children and Jesse's working nights. He works nights 7 nights out the month. I'll have help the other 21+ nights. I'm assuming we'll each take a kid and put them to sleep if their bedtimes are the same or he'll watch one while I put one down, then I'll put the other one down. That's not a problem, but what happens when he's working! Shocked
At first the newborn won't be a problem to put down if he's sleeping (haha, I said HE), but what if he's crying and I have to tend to him at her bedtime, will she understand that she'll need to wait a minute? What if I need to cut the bedtime routine short, will she think I'm picking the baby over her? What about when the baby's about 6-7 months when he gets in a bedtime routine and is going to sleep at the same time each night. What happens if it is at the same time, before, or after her bedtime? Should I do their routines together - bath, pjs, book? I can't leave one just waiting in the living room while I do one routine and then go get him or her. I can't just go put Ava or the new baby in their beds without a routine. I'm clueless and losing sleep over this. Am I missing something here?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Well obviously I don't know for sure because I only have one, but by the time your new one is born, Ava will be much older and more advanced. She'll probably have a better grasp on bedtime and will understand more of your words. I would think it'd be rough at first but she'd adjust.
|

Especially eHealthy
i think it's just something that you'll work out when the time comes. like you said, in the beginning it'll be easy. then maybe when they're older you can do bath and pjs together, then maybe do the baby's books (i don't know your routine) with both of them, set ava up with something and put the baby to bed, then go back and do ava's stories. i don't know, but i really think it's something that'll just work itself out as time goes by.

try not to stress about it!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
its easy, i bathe my 2 together, josephs big enough to sit in the tub and i use the seat for her. somehow jason got them 2 in a routine because htey both nap at the same time and have same bedtime. I just put one to bed then the other, sometimes joseph goes first other times jordynne does, it just depends. I seem to have no problems . but i think its easier when the new ones older to bathe em together, i always bring hte diapers upstairs iwth me too, then bring em down to change them into jammies. i think it will work itself out like bridget said, i have no clue how mine go to bed at the same time haha, i seriously dnt, jason has some magic power to ge ta child on a sleepin routine, wich is why im waiting until he is back to move jordynne into her own room.
|

Extremely eHealthy
We do bath, lotion, pjs, books, bottle, and I sing her a song. I could do bath, lotion, pjs, books with both of them. Then I could get a gate for Ava to play quietly in her room while I feed the baby and put IT down and then go feed and put Ava down. I'm a planner and need to have this figured out now. I'm just weird like that.
|

Especially eHealthy
by the time the baby is here ava shouldn't need a bedtime bottle. so there's one less thing to worry about.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I think if you include Ava in the babys night time routine she will be better about it if he requires more of your attention. Older siblings are great helpers.
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
i would just do their bedtime routine together. that's what i do. always have done. they both go to bed together in their room with a beaker of milk.
|