Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

I Think There's Something Mentally Wrong With Me....

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I'm 15 years old and I think that i've been depressed since I was about 11. I didnt really recodnize the feeling of depression at first, so i could never figure out why i was always so unenergetic and unmotivated all the time. It used to be that i would lay on the floor in my room for long periods of time and just stare at the ceiling, wanting to cry but not be able to. I basically have nothing to be depressed over, i am not ugly, i have a nice body, i get good grades, i'm smart and i have no family problems. I also have lots of great friends and aquaintices.

My depression went away for a while when i started going out with my current boyfriend, but now its come back again for no reason.

i dont know why I've felt so miserable for so long but lately its been getting much worse. Over the past 2 or 3 months i've felt more depressed then ever, and i've had many suicidal thoughts. No attempts yet but I've come close to following through. I am scaring my boyfriend alot and hes worried about me. He wants me to get help but I'm not sure whether or not this is something that will just pass in time. I cry often in front of him and it hardly takes anything to make me angry or upset. I've been having mood swings lately as well, just today i started crying while talking to him about my problem then 5 min later i felt great and even started laughing at everything, as if i was high. Now I'm just depressed again.

I dont know what to do or how to stop this, i really hate making him upset and worried over me and i dont understand whats going on with my head. I just want to be happy again and make him happy as well. Please give me advice on what i should do, should i try taking medication or going to therapy of some sort? Could it be possible that i have some sort of a mental disorder? My mood swings are starting to get really bad...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 18th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
therepy

you dont need drugs and meds
you just need some help
|

Extremely eHealthy
I would ask that you seek some professional help ASAP. Sounds like you could use some theropy like the_girlfried said. Get it before it gets you.

Carrie
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
the_girlfriend wrote:
therepy

you dont need drugs and meds
you just need some help

I wouldn't give this kind of advice. You are not a medical professional. I know you are against meds but perhaps a medical professional will say it's necessary for this person. I do agree that therapy is very important.
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
Go For the Meds (talk to Doctor)
Hi there!
Listen.... its sounds to me like you may have a case of bipolar which is caused by a chemical imbalance. Fortunately there are tons of medications that will change all this. I suffered from depression for years and was too embarassed to talk to my docter about medications. When I finally developed the courage, I was prescribed a good drug (in my case citalopram 10mg was used) that changed my life.

Life is short and its not worth it to waste it away on depression when there are so many options.

Please be optimistic and dont think about suicide. Talk to your doctor and he will help you =)
|

User Profile
replied November 22nd, 2007
Supporter
Do you have any counsellors that you can talk to at school? Since they can talk to you face to face, they might be more equipped to recommend some courses of action that you can take.

I would definitely recommend talking to a counsellor about your feelings. Since, however, you can't really pinpoint a reason as to why you're depressed, you might want to try medication. In any case, talk to someone you trust about it... as I said, school counsellor or a doctor. petite-etoile is right! Life is too short to spend it being depressed!
|

replied November 28th, 2007
I agree, sounds like manic depression or bipolar syndrome. See a profesional, don't be afraid. Also search on youtube for stepephen fry "secret life of the manic depressive" (SLOTMD). A documentary on manic depression (which stephen fry has). See if symptoms sound like yours, and it has good advice. Hope this helps, and if you are manic depressive there are millions like you so you're not alone. Smile
|

replied May 18th, 2009
Depression
You are not depressed. You have the human condition of lonelyness. In the 1950's 1960's and 1970's all pop songs were written about love and lonelyness. Today for Pharma Co. it has been turned into the disease of depression. 14 to 20 Billion dollar a year industry. Legal chemicals to cope with the pain are no better than alcohol or illegal chemicals in the long run, as it is HUMAN to feel feelings.
|