Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Is spotting normal after a vaginal ultrasound?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
So yesterday I posted in the Pregnancy Community Chat about my ultrasound, and that by it I am 5 weeks and 3 days. I had the vaginal ultrasound last night at about 4:30. A few hours ago I went to the bathroom and there was a spot of pinkish, brownish dishcharge on my underwear....it was kinda mixed and some looked like normal dishcharge. I then only saw very light brown when I wiped and havent seen any since then....I called my doctor and she said just watch for heavier bleeding or cramping, but im trying to not freak out. Confused

Did anyone have this around 5 weeks??
Could this be caused by the vaginal ultrasound I had done??

My doctor is going to order another ultrasound in a week or so to see if there is a heartbeat...(Im PRAYING there is)
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper timid1sttimer
|

replied November 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
it was most likely caused by the ultrasound

as long as its not red blood. remember red blood is bad blood.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks...it was not red at all it was only pinkish on my underwear when I wiped it was just very light brown and mixed with my normal mucus...
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah i had that at 9 weeks out of nowhere and i FREAKED out lol
then i started to bleed so i went to the ER
but everything was fine
still call your dr ok and let them know whats going on
its always best to call and let them know every little thing
|

User Profile
It is very common to spot after the vaginal ultrasound or after having sex too in early pregnancy because the cervix is so sensitive. As long as it's pink or brown and stops after a day or 2 and doesn't increase in amount, everything should be fine.
|

Yea I called my doctor and she is going to order another ultrasound this coming week, so we can try and see the ultrasound.

I only had it the one time when I peed and wiped...and havent had any since then, so im feeling much better about it, but I was really scared when it happened.
|

Especially eHealthy
its normal to feel scared Smile
welcome to pregnancy lol
|

yea i know, but i try and stay as calm as possible about things.
|

Especially eHealthy
thats the best way to think about it
once you get past your first trimester you will feel a whole lot better
|

Yea it just feels like its taking forever Exclamation But the the only time I really think about it is on the weekends or at night, otherwise im busy with school and work, so that helps a lot.
|

Especially eHealthy
lol forever? wait til the END of pregnancy
the last month
is the hardest thing ive ever been through
between wanting the baby to hurry up and get here, and last minute stuff and then the stress and reality of it all. plus all the uncomfyness and pain lol

yeah last week felt like it was a year long
|

I can only imagine!!
|

Especially eHealthy
yeah its not fun lol
|

replied November 18th, 2007
It was most likely from the ultrasound but still keep an eye on wether there is any more and if you notice cramping call your doctor right away, even if in the end it might not be something its better to know than stress about it
|

replied June 22nd, 2009
Thank you so much for this post. I have the same exact story! I am 5 weeks 3 days today. I went for my 1st vag ultrasound 2day and the same thing happen. A few hours ago I saw light spotting/bleeding and I am super worried! This post really help me. Thanks so much!
|

replied August 1st, 2009
I'm 6 weeks 6 days pregnant and yesterday I had light spotting so I called my doctor and they sent me to the ER (I just had a m/c 4 months ago and had to have a dnc). At the hospital the dr did a vaginal examination and said that there was a little bit of blood.. I had an ultrasound done and we heard the heartbeat (WOOHOO) and they said everything looked wonderful. But when I got home I started bleeding really bad like I am on my period and have had dark blood clots. I'm also cramping now and I wasn't before I had all of those test ran.. I'm FREAKING out.. Is it normal to bleed that much after having all of that work done? Also, is it normal for it to cause cramps??
|

replied June 10th, 2010
I wen't for my internal ultrasound this monday gone after spotting a little a couuple of day's previously. On the tuesday i noticed when i wiped there was a pinkish colour on the tissue, which turned into brown and has been ever since. It is Thursday now and it is still happening. I dont have any cramping neither have I passed any clots. The Dr phoned me today and have asked me to have some blood taken, which will also be repeated in a weeks time. They then will be able to compare my hormone levels and hopefully with all digits crossed they will be rising. But still i am going out of my mind with worry. Has anyone experienced this and come out with a positive happy ending, i mean god forbid beginning. good luck all. I forgot to mention i am 6 weeks pregnant!!
|

replied June 21st, 2010
vaginal Ultrasound
I am 5 weeks today and I went in for a vaginal ultrasound. They also sent me to the ER for blood work to see if my hcg levels are rising. I have been spotting ever sine the ultrasound but after reading theses posts I feel better with it. I'm not cramping but I'm very anxious for these 48 hrs to go by to have another blood test and see if my levels have risen. They are currently at 4500.I'm wondering if the lady from the last comment had her levels rise?
|

replied July 6th, 2010
Spotting after Vaginal Ultrasound
Looks like I'm next to jump on the freaking out band wagon... I had an ultrasound yesterday putting me at 6 weeks and 6 days... woke up to brownish blood this morning when i wiped and it's been appearing each time I use the washroom since then. Went to the doctor who was honest enough to say, it may be a miscarriage... had my blood drawn and I need to repeat in 48 hours. From what I was told the mild discharge/brown blood can be from the super sensitive cervix getting poked and proded during my vaginal ultrasound and I was told not to get too worked up over it. My doctor did tell me that if ANY CLOTS APPEAR GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM ASAP... I'll let you know how things resolve so we can get an update on this... fingers crossed...
|

replied July 19th, 2010
Well, if my continued morning sickness wasn't enough to convince me, my doctor advised that I'm still very much pregnant. The bleeding and spotting I experienced was from my cervix being pressed upon during the exam.. no need to worry. Hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck everyone.
|