Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

Ritalin/cocaine Interference

Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...
I am a 28 year old male. I was prescribed Ritalin LA 30 mg around 6 months ago. I was always aware that I had difficulty focusing. After 30 minutes of taking the Ritalin in the morning I would receive a pretty great high. It lasts about an hour. I have had many experiences with cocaine in my youth and this is the exact same high. The morning buzz is no longer that strong but there is still a little energy push 30 minutes after taking the pill. Before I ask my question I must first state the following:
1) I don’t know how they can prescribe this to children. This is a powerful drug.
2) I don’t condone the irresponsible use of any prescribed drug or the use of any illegal narcotic.

Now for my question. On occasion, there is a presence of cocaine within my circle of friends. In the past, I would do a line or a bump and receive the typical cocaine high. Ever since being on the Ritalin, cocaine has Zero effect on me. I mean nothing. I have tried different batches and it is almost as if my brain is completely immune to it. I know this sounds as if I am some addict wanting to get a buzz. That is not the case at all. I am concerned that I somehow either burnt out any receptors that are triggered by cocaine or if the Ritalin acts as some sort of blocker. I just hope it is nothing serious. Please assist me in any knowledge that might shed some light on this concern of mine.

I thank you in advance.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper jacksonjlp
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
For most individuals that truly have ADHD and use Ritalin, it doesn't give them a high feeling. I wonder if you difficulty focusing is due to your previous drug use. Stimulants like cocaine can have permanently alter your brain chemistry. Meth is the worst.

You do pose an interesting question, though.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Maybe you should talk to your Dr. about this.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Did you tell your doctor you get a high feeling from Ritalin?
|

I have mentioned this to my doctor. She was confused by the reaction and didn't exactly understand it. I have no intentions on using illegal substances again and I am slowly coming off the ritalin.
This is just very odd and I would love if to know if anyone had a similar situation.
|

replied June 1st, 2009
JACKSONJLP-
I am expierencing the EXACT same reaction with the only difference being that i am prescribed adderall XR30 mg. I enjoyed cocaine on occasion years prior to the adderall. The rush was typical. I began adderall and after a few months got re introduced to cocaine. The effect was completly different. I felt no rush, nothing at all. Cocaine then had the complete adverse effect, making me extremely tired and almost "in a cloud".. I can only think that my prolonged use of adderall somehow blocked the receptors linking the cocaine to the feeling of a rush. I have not been able to find much information explaining this and everyone i explain this to is at a loss as well. any luck finding any answers?

-thanks
|

replied March 16th, 2013
I have experienced the exact same phenomenon. I use to experience the typical magical experience that users expect from cocaine. Energetic, euphoric, talkative, interesting in everything, exe. However, after I began taking Adderall, cocaine never worked for me again. It now make me want to fall asleep, avoid people and lay in bed and stare at a wall. Adderall is now what cocaine use to be for me. It has all of the great qualities that I use to experience with cocaine. I have tried numerous times to re-invent cocaine for myself by doing it in different scenarios, trying it from different dealers And even meditating before I do it to try and bring back the mind state I was in when it was so fun. I finally give up. I have to accept i will never have that experience with cocaine again Sad
|

replied June 6th, 2009
My best guess is that you've conditioned yourself to the dose- cocaine and most add meds are amphetamines- the more you do, the more tolerance you have- which is why people get so severely addicted because they have to increase the amount they take if they have built up an immunity- same goes for any of the "caines" novacaine at the dentist (if they even still use it) would have to be administered in a high enough dose to supersede any immunity in order to have an effect.
|

replied July 8th, 2009
About the 1) I dunno how doctors... prescribe ritalin to children... pwerful drug. (Don't feel lile typin' it all out.) I think they (doctor) have done some sort of testing with it. So, it should be safe.
|

replied August 5th, 2009
Maybe because you really dont have add. It is possible, that since meth and cocaine are similar in their effects to the brain that you have possiblly made your tolerance high. Therefore your body needs more to feel the same effects.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
You may not have ADD. When I was younger (prior to diagnosis) I tried cocaine (on 2 separate occasions - quite a bit too), and it did absolutely NOTHING. ADD is caused by faulty neurotransmitters (specifically epinephrine which is a byproduct of dopamine). Cocaine works by increasing dopamine. If you get a buzz from Ritalin and/or cocaine, then it would appear that there is nothing faulty with your neurotransmitters, and therefore you probably do not have ADD.
|

replied August 31st, 2009
I myself have been on Adderall, 30mg 3x/day. I just started it, but I know I have ADD, cuz when I take my meds, I am normal, thoughts are straight and not bouncing here, there, and everywhere... Like for me on cocaine tho.. I am the complete opposite. Non stop jibber jabber, cant sleep... etc. The Adderall helps me focus, and I can fall straight asleep if I have nothing to do, or be in the greatest mood ever, less on edge. So... I am definitely not a DR!! But, I get what ur saying.. I don't know, my doctors don't get me either.. ~34yr old Female~ Doubt I helped u any, but just thought U'd like to know ur not alone... (and I don't do coke all the time... It also shows up in our circle of friends...) I don't judge, I listen and give my honest opinion...
|

replied October 5th, 2009
i have ADHD, and having ritalin as a kid did have an obvious effect when i think back. the same as the effect speed and base have on me. though those drugs dont affect me anywhere near as much as they do other people. I cant ever feel a buzz or anything, but i usually wake up in slightly stranger and further away places from home than usual. (i was drunk for the 6 years that included all those times)
|

replied September 19th, 2010
i am very confused, my daughter is 8yrs old and is using ritalin la 20mg. It is making her calm, very slight improvement when it comes to schoolwork and my biggest worry is that she started pulling out her hair shortly after she first started using ritalin. She says she feels bugs crawling in her skin - only on her head.Docters advise not to stop medication. What do I do? She doesnt have any hair left. please help
|

replied September 20th, 2010
For harmful affects of it I'd say stop.. is she eating much? It will make you eat a lot less.. I'm surprised that she's calm, perhaps she is only calm physically?

I thought the point of it is to make them immune to the effects of ADHD since both release the same chemicals in the brain.. though I'd also be worried that this could cause damage similar to an overdose.
I'm no doctor though! I kind of wish I'd carried on taking it for the sake of curing my ADHD by adulthood, its still a major problem, makes everyone treat me like a kid.. well I do run around like one. My only solution is sitting deadly still and not interacting with people, though I have had some success with self hypnotism/meditation

also the hair thing sounds horrible.. I've never heard of anyone having that kind of a reaction to amphetamines, that would make me stop..
|

replied June 1st, 2011
> I don't know how they can prescribe this to children. This is a powerful drug.

People with ADD have a chemical imbalance and react differently to Adderall then most people. It makes me feel calm and focused and I feel more comfortable and social when I am around people.

As another example of how my chemistry is different the feeling I get from Adderall is the same I get when coming down off Psychedelic mushrooms but the mushrooms are more intense. I was never attracted to illegal stimulants when I was younger and so I never tried them.

If Adderall is gigving you a cocaine-like high then you probably do not have ADD.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
Experienced User
I have experienced the exact same phenomenon. I use to experience the typical magical experience that users expect from cocaine. Energetic, euphoric, talkative, interesting in everything, exe. However, after I began taking Adderall, cocaine never worked for me again. It now make me want to fall asleep, avoid people and lay in bed and stare at a wall. Adderall is now what cocaine use to be for me. It has all of the great qualities that I use to experience with cocaine. I have tried numerous times to re-invent cocaine for myself by doing it in different scenarios, trying it from different dealers And even meditating before I do it to try and bring back the mind state I was in when it was so fun. I finally give up. I have to accept i will never have that experience with cocaine again. (pain management care)
|

replied December 5th, 2013
HELLO, I am a 16 year old boy and o was first perscribed Ritalin LA at age 6. I have severe ADD and ADHD. I have to take a 40mg pill in the morning around 7 am it lasts about 5 or so hours and then i take a 20 mg booster (tablet that isyou not timea releases like the pill) to finish the school day. I too feel a rush of energy after about 30-45 minutes after the pill is taken and then i zone out and start picking at my arm to keep my mind busy. This is completely normal for me everyday. I wont eat lunch until my pill wears off and i become this completely dull and lifeless person.
|

replied December 5th, 2013
HELLO, I am a 16 year old boy and o was first perscribed Ritalin LA at age 6. I have severe ADD and ADHD. I have to take a 40mg pill in the morning around 7 am it lasts about 5 or so hours and then i take a 20 mg booster (tablet that isyou not timea releases like the pill) to finish the school day. I too feel a rush of energy after about 30-45 minutes after the pill is taken and then i zone out and start picking at my arm to keep my mind busy. This is completely normal for me everyday. I wont eat lunch until my pill wears off and i become this completely dull and lifeless person.
|