Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Switching B/c: Question About Backup

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I have been on EstroStep FE for about a year. I am switching to Yasmin next month. During the time I've used EstroStep, my fiance and I have always used a back-up method during the first 7 days of my pack since I'm a Sunday starter. Was this necessary? or is it only necessary for the first pack?

So when I start my Yasmin, after the first month do we need back up contraception?

TIA! Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
Once you are "on" a type of birth control, you do not need to use any backup, so no, it's not necessary to use back up every single month!!

If you start Yasmin on Sunday you should not need to use back up. You will not need to use it every single month either.
|

Extremely eHealthy
When switching BC types you do not need a back-up.

You also ONLY need a back-up for the first 7 days in your FIRST pack of pills, not for the rest.
|

I feel so silly for thinking that it was for EVERY single month. Good to know- thanks for the info!
|

Especially eHealthy
It's okay; the packet can be kind of confusing by saying "use protection the first week" Smile
|

replied September 23rd, 2009
Experienced User
Can I ask why you're switching from Estrostep? I want to go on it and I'm curious as to why you're switching?
|