Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Muscular and Nerve Disorders Forum

Footdrop After Surgery Questions

Must Read
Multiple sclerosis (MS) affects the brain and the spinal cord. But what is MS? And what types of MS do doctors diagnose? Basic facts on multiple sclerosis here....
Doctors know little about what causes multiple sclerosis (MS), but do understand the anatomy of the condition. Read one to learn about what happens during MS....
Symptoms of multiple sclerosis can be present during other medical conditions. Learn to identify early symptoms of multiple sclerosis, plus when to seek help....
(I think I already posted this at the end of another thread.)
I just talked w/ my sister today, who just had Knee replacement surgery on Monday, and discovered yesterday that she now has Footdrop!
I'd like to learn what I can about this, like what can be done, prognosis, etc... Can anyone give me more information about this?
The surgery was to repair a knee that was badly damaged in a car wreck several years ago. I'd like to know how prevailent this is, and is it likely to clear up spontaneously, once the swelling goes down? From what she said, the operation went a lot longer than they had planned, and that may have had something to do with it.
Is there anything that ought to be done in the near or immediate future?
I'd appreciate any info I can get on the subject.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
I'm sorry to hear that. The condition will probably not heal itself spontaneously, as it is caused by with nerve, muscle, or anatomic damage. Latest treatments for footdrop include stimulation of the peroneal nerve that lifts the foot when you step and braces like The Soft Foot Drop Brace. But the treatment for foot drop will depend upon the cause --- do you know exactly what is causing your sister to walk like this?
|

replied November 25th, 2007
They told her that the surgery, which was supposed to have lasted about 2 hours, went on for 4 hours, due to all of the scar tissue (from previous auto accident.) They said that they had possibly left the tourniquet on for too long and damaged the Peronial Nerve.
I'm wondering how much improvement might there be, once the swelling from the surgery goes down? It has been nearly a week since her surgery, and she is home now. They fitted her w/ some sort of brace. Her PT has been slower than originally planned b/c of the footdrop complication, but she reports that it is going better now than before. She has been experienceing some pain in the Tibialis Anterior, which sounds like a good thing to me- in that I should think that indicates some neurological activity. I'd appreciate any info, as her doctor has really not been forthcoming with information.
Is there anything that she ought to know at this point in time, that might influence her recovery? (Like, are there any particular therapies, etc that need to be started sooner, rather than later?)
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2007
Active User, very eHealthy
For Peroneal nerve damage, neuromuscular stimulation and FES are referred to as potential treatment options. I also want to let you know that I'm not speaking from personal experience, but this information is based on some preliminary online research. I'll be happy to help you.
|

replied August 23rd, 2011
I had a left hip slight dislocation and both of my LCLs( ligaments behind the both knees) trapped my peroneal nerves. The first week, I was walking like daffy duck. On the 8th day, I noticed , a sudden huge painful right foot cramp and my right foot gained FULL dorsiflexion and strength very fast. The left foot was still limping and It could only be maintained horizontal. Months after months, time to time, I gained back overall leg strength. it's been 2 years now, I can say I am 97% TOTALLY RECOVERED. The left foot dorsiflexion is still not perfect but MORE THAN ENOUGH. I can kick, fight, run, jump, hike, trail, ride a superbike ! Never give up ! I started my own PT by doing bodyweight squats and free weights barbell squats. I am now 6'2'' 215lbs and feel good. Remember, pain now, forever fit later. Also, I noticed , as the foot becomes stronger, the arches returns. When I had foot drop, I noticed I developed flat foot.
|