Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Cholesterol Forum

High Cholesterol - Fruit Pectin Cure

Must Read
Do you know the difference between good and bad cholesterol? When does cholesterol pose a threat to your health? More info here....
High levels of bad cholesterol in the blood can increase your risk of heart disease. So how do you know if you're experiencing high cholesterol, or not? ...
Who should request cholesterol testing? And how often? Learn how to check your cholesterol levels and what the optimum cholesterol levels are....
I was diagnosed in June '07 from a May blood test. Doc said it was hereditary and there was no dietary fix to be had. Prescribed Lipitor at $3./day for the rest of my life! I numbly bought the pills but Googled the drug before taking. There is a 5.6% rate of severe muscular degeneration! I never took them out of the wrapper.
Further Googles turned up an array of natural treatments but only one had scientific studies attached to a great deal of anecdotal evidence - FRUIT PECTIN. The study was on pigs and the grapefruit rinds cured them.

5 months later now and all 5 indicators read NORMAL!...whereas all 5 were badly out of whack back in May.

The Cure: Buy liquid fruit pectin, same as for jam and jelly making. I found Certo brand at the Superstore for $3. a box which lasts about 3 weeks. Mix 1 teaspoon with juice. I like veggy juice. Take once a day for the first week and then 3 times per day hence.

Note that since my condition is hereditary I did not attempt to alter my eating habits at all.

Now that I am cured I will drop my intake to 1 teaspoon/day. In Jan'08 I will be tested again to see in the lower maintenance dose is effective.

Good Luck to All,
Terry

PS: Turns out that fruit pectin is also a natural apetite suppressant so do not be surprised if you lose weight.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
What were the readings for your blood cholesterol when you first started to use the fruit pectin?
|

replied November 17th, 2007
TEST BEFORE AFTER CHANGE
------------------------------------------ -------------------
CHOL 5.62 5.04 -10%
TRIG .57 .64 +12%
HDL .64 1.47 +130%
LDL 4.72 3.28 -31%
CHOL/HDL 8.8 3.4 -61%

(Figures in MMOL/L= Millimoles per litre. Molecular count of substance concentrations. MMOL/L is the world standard. Used everywhere except in the USA.)
|

User Profile
replied November 20th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
That's great!
I'll need to look for more info for the fruit pectin.
Is that fruit pectin from grapefruit?
I've read that antioxidants in the grapefruits are responsible for their health benefits, and the red variety generally has higher antioxidants than the white.
Do you take other supplements or home remedies to lower the blood cholesterol?
|

replied November 22nd, 2007
The label on the "Certo" does not specify its' source, just lists "fruit pectin" as the only ingredient. You may also take it in the crystal form and dissolve it in your juice.

Grapefruit...yes. A study involving 2500 pigs given grapefruit peels(pectin), which has the highest known content, reversed their cholesterol blocked arteries !

I only take the Certo. I tried coconut oil for a week or so but it made me ravenously hungry, and I did not want that.

Are you currently taking any medications? Supplements or remedies yourself?
|

User Profile
replied November 26th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
No, I don't have high blood cholesterol myself, but my husband has.
So, I'm planning to purchase fruit pectin for him as soon as possible.
I've heard that seeds from poison oak are helping to maintain a good blood cholesterol level, too.
|

replied December 18th, 2007
Hey,
we can use another natural thing that is Garlic as well because
Garlic is used to regulates cholesterol level and removes clots .garlic also prevents the formation of clots in the blood.

you can take it

How To Take: Extract juice of 4 to 5 pods of garlic. Take this juice three times daily for two months. The symptoms of Hypertension are resolved in 2 to 3 weeks. Complete cure is effected in two months.
|

replied December 19th, 2007
Thanks for that Philip123. Lets share natural remedies.

MandMs, please post results you and your husband have from using natural remedies.

Doctors are paid directly by drug companies...don't trust them.
Don't trust these forum Doctors that log on anonymously. They are shills for the drug companies.

Terry
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Having a glass of apple vinegar with water every morning on empty stomach can help lowering blood cholesterol levels.
Taking vit C and Vit B especially Niacin are also very much important for lowering cholesterol.
Raw ginger added in your food or ginger pills is considered to be one of the best home remedy for high blood cholesterol.
|

User Profile
replied December 25th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Re: High Cholesterol - Fruit Pectin Cure
TerryH wrote:
I was diagnosed in June '07 from a May blood test. Doc said it was hereditary and there was no dietary fix to be had. Prescribed Lipitor at $3./day for the rest of my life! I numbly bought the pills but Googled the drug before taking. There is a 5.6% rate of severe muscular degeneration! I never took them out of the wrapper.
Further Googles turned up an array of natural treatments but only one had scientific studies attached to a great deal of anecdotal evidence - FRUIT PECTIN. The study was on pigs and the grapefruit rinds cured them.

5 months later now and all 5 indicators read NORMAL!...whereas all 5 were badly out of whack back in May.

The Cure: Buy liquid fruit pectin, same as for jam and jelly making. I found Certo brand at the Superstore for $3. a box which lasts about 3 weeks. Mix 1 teaspoon with juice. I like veggy juice. Take once a day for the first week and then 3 times per day hence.

Note that since my condition is hereditary I did not attempt to alter my eating habits at all.

Now that I am cured I will drop my intake to 1 teaspoon/day. In Jan'08 I will be tested again to see in the lower maintenance dose is effective.

Good Luck to All,
Terry

PS: Turns out that fruit pectin is also a natural apetite suppressant so do not be surprised if you lose weight.

very interesting Terry, Thanks for sharing and please let us/me know if your numbers are still good with the smaller amount..

Thanks again..
I'm border line so maybe I can kick it in the Butt with a natural ingredient.

cartwheel
|

User Profile
replied December 28th, 2007
Onion And Garlic Work Great For Blood Pressure
Really onion and garlic work wonder for blood pressure and lowering cholesterol.
I found this article on blood pressure with reference to onion and garlic.
------Garlic (Allium sativum). Garlic is a wonder drug for heart. It has beneficial effects in all cardiovascular system including blood pressure. In a study, when people with high blood pressure were given one clove of garlic a day for 12 weeks, their diastolic blood pressure and cholesterol levels were significantly reduced. Eating quantities as small as one clove of garlic a day was found to have beneficial effects on managing hypertension. Use garlic in your cooking, salad, soup, pickles, etc. It is very versatile.

Onion (Allium cepa). Onions are useful in hypertension. What is best is the onion essential oil. Two to three tablespoons of onion essential oil a day was found to lower the systolic levels by an average of 25 points and the diastolic levels by 15 points in hypertension subjects. This should not be surprising because onion is a cousin of garlic.
|

User Profile
replied January 14th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Eat almonds (raw) and you'll experience the same effect on lowering your blood cholesterol level as the one "statins" (the most potent cholesterol-lowering drugs) have.
|

replied December 10th, 2008
RE: Fruit Pectin Cure
I am new here and just got to read this message. It all makes sense because the doctors tell us not to eat grapefruit if we are on statin medications. The grapefruit somehow stops the statin from working. It's probably because it also lowers cholesterol!
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Absolute help for high cholesterol!!!!
RED YEAST RICE WITH COQ10 brought my LDL down 70 points in 4 months and triglicyrides down about 40%. (1200mg red yeast rice/30mg coQ10 daily) yes

I did extensive research on this because Lipitor was attacking my muscles. Red Yeast Rice contains a small amount of lovastatins so you should still have blood work done about every 3 to 4 months to check your liver. My doctor told me to keep doing what I'm doing. cartwheel thumbsup
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2010
Supporter
It's nice that your doctor supports your use of alternative medicine. Lipitor gave me horrible pains in my leg and it was hard for me to walk up steps.

I heard about the rave reviews about red yeas rice and how it contains lovastatins which is in most cholesterol lowering medications. Did you know the there was a big court battle to get red yeast rice off the market because of this. Big Pharma was threatened to loose money.
|

replied February 3rd, 2010
hi iam also on statins for high cholestrol my total number was 10.2 which is very very high been on statins for over a year i realy am not well im sure it the statins been back to my doctor ( quote ou must stay on them as your cholestrol is now 5.1 so statin must be working )but i would love to come of them and try this fruit pectin could any one please tell me how you take it many thanks in advance marg.
|

User Profile
replied February 3rd, 2010
Supporter
The first thing im going to do is buy the Certo which is a box with packages inside that makes jelly or jam from scratch. i found out that the super walmart makes this, and im going to pick some up today. The poster said to use on teaspoon in your juice.

The second thing im going to do is use red yeast rice and the coq10 i m always hearing about.
My cholesterol is a little high and my doctor wants me to come in to persuade me to get back on lipitor. i had horrible side effects from that so i will try to lower my cholesterol with alternative remedies.
|

replied September 5th, 2010
On 15 Dec 09, I got my cholesterol results yet again. Have had high cholesterol since about 2001, and has been up and down since. The results in Dec were specially bad, Total : 7.1 , LDL: 5.17, HDL: 0.88, giving a ratio of 8.07, against an acceptable value of <3.5. Decided to get serious about losing/controlling it as my nutrionist suggested I think about statins!!!.

So, from 20 Dec 09, I started on a multi-pronged attaced. Started exercising, atleast 3-4 days a week, about 45 minutes/day, just on a cross-trainer. Additionally, started watching my diet carefully, no pizzas etc, limited fried foods, cut out red meat as much as I could. But ALSO, every morning, I started taking: about 300 ml of Orange Juice (Tropicana, not fresh squeezed) with 1 table spoonful of Certo brand Pecting and 1 table spoon of Psyllium (i.e. Isapgol, essentially fiber), plus a capsule of Fish Oil and a small tablet of garlic extract). On 10th June, 2010, got another cholesterol test. the results were a major improvement - Total Cholesterol down to 4.51, LDL down to 3.90, HDL upto 1.09, ratio 4.18, much closer to the 3.5 limit than it was about 6 months ago.

Don't really know which bit really did it, but the morning ritual took about 2 minutes every morning, so, I would think its worth a try...
|