Medical Questions > Relationships > Relationships and Marriage Forum

Boyfriend That Feels Sorry For Himself All the Time

I have a boyfriend that is constantly feeling sorry for himself.He acts like he has such a bad life when he really doesn't.I feel like he isn't grateful for the things that he has or me for that matter.I try to make him feel better but that doesn't work.I don't understand he has a girlfriend that loves him which is me so I really don't see why he gets depressed all the time.I just feel like he dwells on the past too much.He also takes things out on me like if he is having a bad day he will be rude to me.We don't get to see each other that much like 2 times a week.When I talk to him on the phone he just sits there and says nothing.He says he doesn't have anything to say and he would rather talk in person,but right now when we don't see each other alot the phone is all we have.I don't know what to do,I mean I love him alot and I don't want to break up with him.I just feel like he has changed alot he never used to be this way.I tell him all of this but he says he hasn't changed and I over analyze things way too much.I need suggestions on what I should do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2007
Experienced User
From what you're saying, I don't believe you have over analyzed anything. It's a sad truth in relationships, sometimes people change for the worse. But you do not know why he has changed, ask him to explain his feelings for you. There may be something deeper that is causing his depression...having depression would cause him to see the world differently.

If that doesn't work, you need to tell him that you do not feel appreciated and that it is hurting you. If he is not willing to change for himself, he might be willing to change for you, for your relationship, and for the love you share.

I wish you the best
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
If you're on the phone a lot is it because you're in a long distance relationship? Relationships that are mostly over the phone are hard because you don't really have the physical part of being in a loving relationship-- and I don't mean sexual, but just hugs or SOME kind of physical connection. Him being upset over the phone could easily just have to do with the fact that you don't see each other often enough.

Having a loving girlfriend doesn't mean your life is wonderful, but it does help Smile
Although you may be a big part of his life, you are still only a part of it. What's going on otherwise? Is his family life all right? School? Friends? Work? Have you asked about these things? And I mean really sat down and had extensive conversations about everything. You need to try and understand him a little better before you just say he's changed.

Tell him you want to help-- you want to talk and are MORE than willing to listen. When he does decide to talk, don't interrupt. (I have a problem with it, so I'm warning you just in case) And try to have this talk in person.

Good luck, I hope you can work everything out Sad
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
To me it looks like he is probably getting ready to ditch her. Particulary for the rude part.

I don't understand when I read women saying their partners are rude but then they say "i love him so much". A man that is rude to me I would stop loving him. How can you love someone that is rude to you can someone explain that to me?? I can only think of two things. Either they are afraid to live single or they don't know what true love is about. Having a feeling of love for someone is not enough for a relationship, it has to be the two feeling love and the two respecting each other..

open your eyes blondie
|

replied December 4th, 2007
Thats nonsence night angel. ME and my partner are both rude to each other when one of us is caca. it does not mean his going to leave her. Blondie.. his like this now because he doesnt have to hide how he is really feeling to you. I spose your the only one he whinges about his life to? After living with my boyfriend for a few years we happened to be in the same situation as you and only seeing each other 2 days of the week. When your together if his a lil crapy or sad you can make him smile with your smile or sit and cuddle n watch tv. The phone doesnt have the same effect! I use to get my partner in a worse mood. I would always say the wrong thing trying desperate to get him in a good mood.

If his life really isnt that bad, but he thinks it is then i think he might be suffering from depression. Choose your time wisely and mention that to him.

Goodluck
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Do yourself a favor and look up narsicist on the web. He may be a narsicist and if he is just get out. I have been living with one for 5 years now and I have lost everything and will soon walk out on my now fully mortgaged home. These guys will never be happy and all the love in the world can't change them...only end up destoying you....check it out...just to be sure.
|

replied December 15th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
I'm getting the sneaking suspicioun from her post that Blondie_889 is in her teens, in which case every boy that's age appropriate for her will fit the description of a narcicist.

If you really feel that your boyfriend's mood doesn't make sense for his situation talk to him and see if his explanation makes more sense. If he's constantly depsressed you may want to suggest he see someone about it.
|