Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > First Trimester of Pregnancy Forum

Normal to have period cramps at 9 weeks pregnant? miscarriage?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I'm going on 9 weeks. About every day, i start cramping. They are slight cramps, but strong enough to feel em! I am going to the Dr.s tomorrow and i am going to ask all diff types of questions, but i was just wondering if having these "period" like cramps is a normal thing? I have not shown any blood, I just don't want to mistaken them for something that's "normal", when in reality, I'm going through the process of having a miscarriage. Just to put me at ease, please inform me if its a normal thing. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile mommysparkles
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2007
Re:
Hello I am 7weeks and 3days pregnant due date is July 21st
I know exactly what you are talking about I am due at the doc on dec 14th which is my first real prenatal appt. I am so scared bc I have been having cramping almost every day since I found out that I was pregnant. The cramping is constant, just mild and doesnt hurt, it gets worse in the evening I keep stressing about miscarriage bc I know it is common after the depo shot which I was on for about almost a year. Well this is my second pregnancy and I have no bleeding with the cramping and I called my doc the day this started and wouldnt go away he told me that it is common for a women to cramp early on in pregnancy its just your belly and abdomen getting used to the growing embryo your uterus b4 pregnancy is the size of a fist, in your 8th week its the size of a grapefruit so as long as there is no bleeding with the cramping you should be fine.

Good luck!
keep me posted!
congratz!
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Mommysparlkes is right: what you are experiencing is probably not cramping, but the stretching of your uterine walls by the baby. If this is your first pregnancy, then you will feel it more than during other pregnancies.

As long as your doctor sees no signs that you are a high-risk pregnancy, you should be able to just go about your normal routine. However, this is not to say that you shouldn't be relaxing and taking it easy just as every woman who is pregnant should. Pregnancy can very draining, even in the early stages, and your increased hormone levels can make you moody, tired, and stressed. This is also what could be causing your cramping feelings.

Just trust your body to do what it knows how to do and relax: I think you will find that this will help your discomfort. Being worried about it will make it seem worse.
|

User Profile
Experienced User
Responding Back
Im here to update Wink. I am now going on 12 weeks on fiiday. Once in a while, i do experience those "mild" cramps, but i have talked to my Dr and he has reasured me that it is, in fact, my uterus stretching. So that put all my worries to rest. Now my only concern is making sure this lil angel gets all the nutrients he/she needs. =). I hope to find out what im having soon. Im really anxious!!!!!

I've passed the "morning" sickness stage. The only time i beome neasuated is if i ignore my tummy when she says shes hungary Wink. When i feel the need to eat, i have to get on it right away or my stomach starts playing tricks on me!!!
|

User Profile
replied December 6th, 2007
Re:
Congrats!!! I told you that was all it was make sure you keep us updated when you find out what your little one is !!!1

HAPPY HOLIDAYS
|

replied December 7th, 2007
Experienced User
Re: Normal to Have Period Cramps At 9 Weeks Pregnant? Miscarriag
im 9 weeks along too...having mild but tplerable cramps...but no bleeding...as long as there's no bleeding,its safe...
|

replied December 31st, 2007
Have Not Seen Dr Yet..
ok i just found out about 2 weeks ago that i am preg i have not been to see a ob dr yet i have and appt. on jan 11. this is my third pregnancy and people say that you can feel your baby move earlier the third time around, and it feels like a baby moving not gas!! lol for the last 3 days i feel like i have butterflies in me.. how early can you feel your baby move inside of you!!!
|

User Profile
replied December 31st, 2007
Community Volunteer
If you only just found out you were pregnant 2 weeks ago, compared to how soon others find out, that would put you at 6 weeks at the latest and it is impossible to feel the baby move.

I haven't heard that the baby moves earlier in later pregnancies, and I haven't experienced that either. Sometimes weight gain not lost from other pregnancies can actually delay the feelings of quickening. It could be just the excitement or something else going on down there.

You probably won't feel anything until you are at the very least three months along, and some moms won't feel anything for quite a while because they are so preoccupied with the other little ones, they miss the slight movements.

Here is an excerpt taken from a site that will help you:

"Some moms can feel their babies move as early as 13-16 weeks from the start of their last period. These first fetal movements are called quickening and are often described as flutters. It may be difficult to determine whether this feeling is gas or your baby’s movements, but soon you will begin to notice a pattern. First-time moms may not feel these movements as early as second-time moms. Some moms, especially those in their first pregnancy, may not feel movement until 18-20 weeks. Remember that each woman and each pregnancy is different, so you may not feel movement as early as another woman. There is a broad range of when the first detection of movement can be felt, ranging from 13-25 weeks."

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/duringpre gnancy/firstfetalmovement.htm
|

replied January 28th, 2009
Has anyone ever felt this?
I am 9weeks and 4days pregnant. This is my third pregnancy. I have been feeling pressure in my vaginal area. Could this be a sign of miscarriage? I don'T have any pain. I just would like to know, I have never had a miscarriage before.
|

replied October 12th, 2009
cramping at nine weeks of pregnancy
i to had cramping for the whole nine weeks,felt like my body was trying to have a period. sadly at around the nine week mark i started bleeding and did so for two weeks,i then lost the baby. cramping CAN be a sign that something is wrong,ive cramped for three pregnancies,and lost three babies. been told its normal,but that is not always the case sadly.
|

replied November 29th, 2011
NERVOS!!!
I had a misscarrage in June at 7wks im not 9 and 1/2 wks I have been having cramping, my doc office called yesterday to tell me my progesteron level is low and I need to go on a suplement till 13wks 200mgs a day, I am SUPER nervos. When I had my misscarage in June I didnt have sever cramping but had some spotting. Im not spotting now but this all has made me very uneasy has anyone eles been though this? Any advise welcome
|

replied November 29th, 2011
NERVOS!!!
I had a misscarrage in June at 7wks im not 9 and 1/2 wks I have been having cramping, my doc office called yesterday to tell me my progesteron level is low and I need to go on a suplement till 13wks 200mgs a day, I am SUPER nervos. When I had my misscarage in June I didnt have sever cramping but had some spotting. Im not spotting now but this all has made me very uneasy has anyone eles been though this? Any advise welcome
|

replied July 7th, 2012
I haven't had a period since may and I have been having this pressure feeling in my lower abdomin. I have tons of pregnancy symptoms but I have taken three home test all negative. Could I still be pregnant?
|

replied February 15th, 2014
i am 9 weeks pregnant, i spotting yesterday morning and called the doctor who told me it was likely due to intercourse. by 3:00 i was cramping which continued for 4 hours, at that time i used the restroom and released an amount of blood that is equal to a period. I continued to bleed through night and am sad to say that i must be miscarring, doctor said theres nothing they could if its a misscarriage and to come to the office on monday. (this began on friday) very sad:(
|